Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
About 10 years ago, when they were still being manufactured in Mexico, and sold for about $8000 brand new, I tried to find a way to bring a brand new air cooled VW Beetle into the U.S. I was tired of all the problems I was having with my old beat up rusted out bugs. Basically I was told "no how no way" They actually could be brought here, but could not be legally registered here. I think the EPA and DOT are a big part of the reason we don't get a lot of cool bikes here that you can get a lot of other places. It costs serious money to "certify" a vehicle for the U.S. market, that CT would likely have to have a disc brake, different turn signals, fuel injection, a catalytic exhaust, etc, etc. By the time they did all that it would cost way more than anyone would be willing to pay for it. And I'm afraid a Chinese copy would turn out like the Chinese clone of the Big Ruckus, basically junk. A real Honda CT110 is a bike you can count on to take you pretty much anywhere. Without breaking down.

Christ Jerry, is there no small bike you're not an 'expert' on..

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #32
haildamage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
i would suspect that this is a new leftover CT110 from before they stopped selling them in japan. they cant sell any bikes with carbs manufactured after 2009 (or it it 2008?), so this must be a new pre-ban bike.

my understanding it the ozzie post will start using a new electric bike soon as well.
haildamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #33
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Some translated information...

...from a friend of a friend who speaks/reads/understands Japanese and it's culture.

This shop indeed imports them from Austrailia for sale in Japan and claim to be the only place in the country to buy them.

The Cross Cub is just a show bike which is a bummer--I think if they indeed reached production and brought into the U. S. they'd sell a lot better than conventional scooters if the price was right.

In the translator's opinion the shop is not likely interested in selling to anyone outside of the country and you'd have to go through a middleman in order to obtain one which would likely be illegal or in the gray zone somewhere in between--maybe it could be brought in as a "competition bike for off-road use only"?

Let's go on the wild assumption that you could, by hook or crook, get one into the country. How could you get it on the road? I considered buying an old titled CT-110, refinishing the frame and then installing all the new parts on it. My problem with doing that is one, it ain't gonna be cheap to do and two, my reason for wanting a brand-new-shiny CT is a trip I'd like to do around the U. S. at slow speeds and the ability to get parts at any Honda shop (or order them up in a timely manner) is a major concern of mine.

I guess for this reason assuming I get to do such a trip it'll be done on something else, maybe a Lifan engined rebuild and have a complete motor at home ready to ship along with other consumables that I might not be able to get for it on the road. This is a strong possibility. I'd sure like to have that high/low range gearbox for the mountains and exploring, though.

Whatever happens seeing brand new CT's and not being able to buy one is extremely frustrating.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #34
=SUTTO=
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Ctx200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
What I believe it does is hold the clutch lever in. Dunno why that would be imporant--I'd just put it in neutral.

Maybe we ought to ask an Aussie...

Glad you asked haha

Ive owned ct110's for about 5 years and actually have been recently riding a CTX200 I purchased about 6 months ago.

The clutch trigger that you guys are talking about is nothing more then a leaver that you flick out when the clutch is in so that when you let the clutch out it sits just a bit before the friction point, thus stopping it from stalling while you do something else with that hand or leave the bike. When you are done you simply pull the clutch in which then disengages the leaver and you are right to go off riding again.

Personally putting it in neutral has always been easier and I only ever use the leaver on rare occasions.

Clutch out.

Clutch held in before the friction point buy the leaver.

It's an absolute joy of a bike, a real do it all to infinity and back ride.
=SUTTO= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #35
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
I just bought a 1969 Honda CT90. It doesn't run, yet, but it was cheap to buy and will be cheap to fix up. There are lots of parts still available for these. It won't be new, but will function just fine this spring. I had one when I was a kid and remember how much fun and durable they were.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #36
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
I just bought a 1969 Honda CT90. It doesn't run, yet, but it was cheap to buy and will be cheap to fix up. There are lots of parts still available for these. It won't be new, but will function just fine this spring. I had one when I was a kid and remember how much fun and durable they were.

Just curious ever had any problems with burning your leg on that exhaust? May be a stupid question, but genuinely curious. The shield is metal after all.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #37
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSkate View Post
Just curious ever had any problems with burning your leg on that exhaust? May be a stupid question, but genuinely curious. The shield is metal after all.
Nope, I don't recall ever having a problem with exhaust pipe heat on the Honda. Its not a very big motor so it doesn't put out a lot of heat anyway. I currently drive a Triumph Scrambler and while the exhaust heat can be felt its not objectionable. In fact it feels good on a cool day.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #38
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
its nice and all
but my 1979 ct90 looks to be in showroom condition, 2200 miles on it and runs great
sure I dont have chrome exhaust, bars, fancy rear shocks or the 110 engine but other then that almost looks just like that one. and I will probably never in a lifetime see one as new looking as mine
and I still ride mine off road using my 8 speed tranny

Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #39
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Heres a great site on the Honda CT, any question can be found here.

http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/
And here is the sister site with info. on all yrs under the gallery listing.
http://ct90-ct110.com/
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #40
mammutetzsidecar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Advertised posties in Japan

Check out this link for Postie bikes for sale in Japan

http://www.goobike.com/cgi-bin/fsear...=ct110&x=0&y=0
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #41
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammutetzsidecar View Post
Check out this link for Postie bikes for sale in Japan

http://www.goobike.com/cgi-bin/fsear...=ct110&x=0&y=0
Pricing seems to be between 39000 and 43000 yen is that correct? What do you think the chances are of trying to setup one for shipment to the states from one of these dealers???

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
Verbal OP
Knuckle Deep!

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheritage View Post
Pricing seems to be between 39000 and 43000 yen is that correct? What do you think the chances are of trying to setup one for shipment to the states from one of these dealers???
Add one more zero on the end - I think
Verbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #43
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal View Post
Add one more zero on the end - I think
Yes, I thought it looked too good.

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote