Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #1366
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
This is my favorite place to visit in AdvRider. I got an old stick welder from my dad and tried to make mods on an old rusty trailer. Just couldn't pull it off and gave all the equipment to my brother. You and your projects have given me hope. All the posts are great too. Best thread ever!

I am going to retire this coming year and committed to learning to weld. Plan welding school and then buy a modern welder. This is just to say thanks and keep it coming kirkster70.
KJ
Thanks, KJ! It's been a fun journey learning new things and I still have a lot of things I want to try and tackle this spring.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I do appreciate it! Start posting up when you get rolling!! You can get as good as you want by just keeping with it.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #1367
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

Stopped at my favorite scrap yard yesterday to find some base material for FrankenGantry.

They had this 6X6 tube on the rack, and I got 15' for $56, including cutting two 6' lengths. I love the place!

Have to finish some projects down at the shop before getting underway, but I think I now have all the steel I need to build this thing.
Nice price!!! You got a good start. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #1368
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Sure! You may have to upgrade my Yale hoist, though!

Whatcha' gettin'???
Early Southbend - Supposed to be a 13 but pix look more like a 18 or bigger - 9ft overall length.It's the only lathe I have ever seen with cabinets on both ends vs a cabinet and a set of legs. I think its pre 1930 but not sure yet - the price is right at just over scrap weight value!! Also looking at an early Southbend mill thats WW2 vintage.

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #1369
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Early Southbend - Supposed to be a 13 but pix look more like a 18 or bigger - 9ft overall length.It's the only lathe I have ever seen with cabinets on both ends vs a cabinet and a set of legs. I think its pre 1930 but not sure yet - the price is right at just over scrap weight value!! Also looking at an early Southbend mill thats WW2 vintage.
Wow! Very nice! Post up some pics when you get it. I'm thinking a lathe may be my next major purchase but will probably have to wait for a little bit.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #1370
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I have a 7x12 HF lathe and I use it a LOT to make spacers and anything else I think it will turn Cant wait to have a real lathe in the shop. I have a feeling that I'll be moving lots of stuff around to make space for all the new equipment. It will not be pretty moving all that crap around - cars trucks boats and motorcycles will all need to be moved Maybe even the other tools and such!!

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #1371
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

Stopped at my favorite scrap yard yesterday to find some base material for FrankenGantry.

They had this 6X6 tube on the rack, and I got 15' for $56, including cutting two 6' lengths. I love the place!

Have to finish some projects down at the shop before getting underway, but I think I now have all the steel I need to build this thing.
Help a local brudda out! where is this elusive 'favorite yard'? Research Alloys?
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #1372
zuk16l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
This may have been covered, but when you wired your 50 amp service in the garage, how far from the main panel is it and what gauge wire did you use. I have a run of about 60' from main panel to garage and I want to run a 50 amp breaker as well. One electrician told me 8/3 and I found online that 6/3 would be better in case I upgraded welders. I only have a lincoln 225 buzzbox now, but want a mig in the worst way. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Travis

05' SV 650
Charleston, SC
zuk16l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #1373
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Help a local brudda out! where is this elusive 'favorite yard'? Research Alloys?
. Yep. Research Alloys/Stargate Metals. They are the only local yard I've found that will let you pick through the piles, as well as getting some decent dimensional material every now and the.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #1374
Syphoon
Syphoon

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Wow! Very nice! Post up some pics when you get it. I'm thinking a lathe may be my next major purchase but will probably have to wait for a little bit.
Wow! Just discovered this thread! Great to see other "afflicted".
When I read this, I remember how fabbing your own stuff is so rewarding, but like all addictions, there's a dark side too.
I spent more time doing "Gummint Work" than real job. I drive a truck, so it was a bad combo.
About ten years ago I had to do the unthinkable.... I had to MOVE!
It's good that there was no Hoarders show back then.
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #1375
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuk16l View Post
This may have been covered, but when you wired your 50 amp service in the garage, how far from the main panel is it and what gauge wire did you use. I have a run of about 60' from main panel to garage and I want to run a 50 amp breaker as well. One electrician told me 8/3 and I found online that 6/3 would be better in case I upgraded welders. I only have a lincoln 225 buzzbox now, but want a mig in the worst way. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Travis
I ran a piece of 3/4" conduit and pulled #8 wire. I have a 50A welding receptacle in each garage and the longest run is probably 50 feet. 8/3 is just fine. I am an electrician.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #1376
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphoon View Post
Wow! Just discovered this thread! Great to see other "afflicted".
When I read this, I remember how fabbing your own stuff is so rewarding, but like all addictions, there's a dark side too.
I spent more time doing "Gummint Work" than real job. I drive a truck, so it was a bad combo.
About ten years ago I had to do the unthinkable.... I had to MOVE!
It's good that there was no Hoarders show back then.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks!

Yeah, I was just thinking the other day that it would be nice to have a larger place. But then I thought what a pain it would be to move almost 20 years of hoarding!!! Maybe I'll make do for a bit longer!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #1377
zuk16l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Thanks for the reply. This is one of my favorite threads on advrider and one I check daily for updates. Your work looks awesome.

Travis

05' SV 650
Charleston, SC
zuk16l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #1378
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuk16l View Post
Thanks for the reply. This is one of my favorite threads on advrider and one I check daily for updates. Your work looks awesome.

Travis
You're quite welcome. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #1379
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Look any different?

My wife said it looks like an Easter egg. Hmmm...she has a good point! I guess I could have spent a bit more time tinting the blue.

While the Easter egg is drying, I can now paint the fingers. I'm hoping to have it 100% ready to roll in about 2 days or so. While the fingers are drying, I'll go pick up some 5052 aluminum to make some more panniers. This tool should allow my quality of bend to go up quite a few notches compared to the homemade brake I was using...we'll have to wait and see. I'm pretty excited to use it for the first time!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #1380
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Damn, man. That looks NICE! FoMoCo would never recognize it.

And I lied - the material I picked up at the scrap yard is 4", not 6". You know guys, we always think things are bigger than they are.

But after handling 6' of 4" material, I can imagine what the legs of your gantry weigh.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote