Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,528
Auto Front Wheels

After doing a short season 4-5 k miles on my CSM/1150gsa auto rear wheel rig it became apparent to me the front 19" where going to be chewed off pretty fast and when turning or braking vigorously I didn't have enough tire on the road.
I did the Dedone style trail mod, when starting this project, it retains stock wheelbase and fork angle and seems to not require a monster front spring even though the bike has more weight on front spring (2 spring numbers over Ohlins GS recommendation.per PPS loaded gs suggestion )
One of Strokers 15 " fronts has made it a completely different rig again, it dropped the front a little reduced trail a little more and gave me a decent tire contact patch, easier steering and great pavement handling and braking.It turns in a little quicker but no real bump steer head shake, I may add a damper to slow up steering slightly.
So why hasn't all the GS heavy sidecar rig crowd gone to an auto front (they ain't inexpensive) ? Is anyone else building an auto wheel anyone considered attempting to get Woody's to lace a un-drilled 15" rim to a motorcycle hub ? DB

A little more has anyone contacted http://www.buchananspokes.net/ ?

That's a 135/80/15 Nankang oddly enough it was round and balanced easily, they're a copy of one of Bridgestone tire.There's room for a 145/80/15 and even tire rack has 145/65/15 winter tires Blizzaks and a Firestone Graspic that looks doable. EML,EZS and Armec have embraced auto rubber years ago.Another plus for Strokers effort he adds a double row ball bearing on the right front and brake disks with allot more float than our GS's ever had.Onward and forward.DB

Tire size calculator http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

davebig screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 04:50 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote