ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #406
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Why do you bother? This is the Internet and Internet conventional "wisdom" says Euro bikes are high maintenance race bikes that spontaneously detonate the instant you exceed the recommended service interval.

You might as well accept that "fact" and move on. If people want to wait for a mythical bike that never will be produced because it never can be produced and then complain that it doesn't exist then so be it.

Some of the guys I ride with are Japanese only for some of the reasons posted here. It doesn't bother me a bit. I don't mind waiting for them. It gives me a chance to change my oil and adjust my valves.
I'm with you...but it's fun
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
00 KTM 640 ADV
01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #407
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rickcj7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Oddometer: 467
I've had several dual sports the past few years and the only 2 keepers are WRR and TE630.
The WRR is a few lbs lighter and the TE has 2x the power.
The TE does have better wheels/tires/bars/controls/suspension etc than the WRR.
Both these bikes are way better than the others in there class.
Now for racing bikes I'd choose a KTM/Husky/Husaberg etc. they are a step above the others.
They are all about the same to work on some are easier at one thing and the other at something else.
__________________
Husqvarna TE630

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.

rickcj7 screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 09:13 AM
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #408
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Why do you bother? This is the Internet and Internet conventional "wisdom" says Euro bikes are high maintenance race bikes that spontaneously detonate the instant you exceed the recommended service interval.
Again, not my fault you can't ride Japanese performance bikes in your country which well and truly renders your argument invalid. Your inability to recognise this demonstrates that you do not care about facts or reason. It's also clear that you believe in some sort of us vs them conspiracy here? Bit crazy in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post

While you're telling lies about them on the interwebz, plenty of owners (they are a low volume company...stop with the "I don't see a lot of them" crap) are racking up miles on them traveling South America, Baja and Mexico, TAT, on and on...
Why stop? Funny that you mention Sth America, I lived in there for 3 years and was a member of the HUBB community helping other riders as they came through Bolivia. Not once do I recall a single Husqvarna, let alone someone riding a TE610. Saw tons of KLR650s, KTM640s, BMW650s, DR650s, the occasional XR250 or XR650 or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Why are you so hung up on displacement? Yamaha proved with the WR250R that small displacement doesn't equal low weight...and how "light" does an ADV bike need to be to get packed with 100 lbs of shit on the back?
Nobody is 'hung up' about displacement, it's the topic of this thread. And who says they will go off-roading with 100lbs of gear on the back? Try 40lbs. And nobody is stopping someone from dropping that off at their campsite then ride around without the extra weight. Now guess what you don't need? Don't need a trailer, a 4wd to tow, all that crap that fills up the garage and rarely gets used. Sure it's not a bike that will win races but it will take you anywhere you want to go.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #409
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Your post did indeed seem as if you knew for a fact that all you were saying was true.

Again, more false statements...the 610 has 2 metal screens/strainers that can be checked occasionally if you feel like it, or after the first couple of services they can be ignored. The ONE oil filter is just like the DR oil filter...cartridge type paper filter, a couple of screws and a cover with a spring. Changing the oil and filter on the 610 is quicker than on the DR. The radiators are in the way, but can usually just be loosened up and left full. If removing radiators once a year is the breaking point for you, I encourage you to stick with air cooled technology...or stay home.

Where the hell do you come up with this stuff? You are indeed fooling yourself if you take a mechanic's word over an owner's
It's my understanding that there is one paper filter, plus two steel screens that can be accessed externally and need to be removed and checked (fairly) frequently, plus another screen that can only be accessed by removing the clutch cover (I make that 4). If these only need to be checked a couple of times when the bike is new, it doesn't say that in the schedule.

Reading maintenance instructions was part of my purchase research. The 610 valve inspect/adjust procedure directs to remove the fuel tank, both radiators and the header tank for a valve check every 6K miles. If there's a workaround I didn't see it before - Good to know! All of that is easy in comparison to what's required for my GTS - but it only needs a valve check (all 20 of them) every 27,000 miles. The DR needs to be checked every oil change but it can be done in 5 min without removing anything but the two valve covers.

What has been your long-term experience with valve clearances?

How about the purported need to replace camchains every 10K or so to prevent them from eating into the breather valve?
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #410
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rickcj7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Oddometer: 467
My understanding is the metal screens keep any material from passing thru the engine, side to side, in case of a clutch failure or stator failure or gear case failure. They don't need to be cleaned every oil change and shouldn't have any thing in them.
If Yamaha makes a wrr450 it will probably be heavier than the 610/630, and with cheaper parts.

On the 630 you remove the fuel tank, 1 bolt and a couple hoses and you just remove 2 bottom bolts and push the radiators forward to remove the valve cover. Once you do it once its a 15 minute job to check valves.
My Husaberg was about the same after you removed the tank it had 2 small covers to remove to check valves.
__________________
Husqvarna TE630

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.

rickcj7 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 10:41 PM
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #411
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
My understanding is the metal screens keep any material from passing thru the engine, side to side, in case of a clutch failure or stator failure or gear case failure. They don't need to be cleaned every oil change and shouldn't have any thing in them.
If Yamaha makes a wrr450 it will probably be heavier than the 610/630, and with cheaper parts.

On the 630 you remove the fuel tank, 1 bolt and a couple hoses and you just remove 2 bottom bolts and push the radiators forward to remove the valve cover. Once you do it once its a 15 minute job to check valves.
My Husaberg was about the same after you removed the tank it had 2 small covers to remove to check valves.
Thanks for the info.

I see you say "TE630 engine shot" in your sig line. What's the story there?
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #412
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Again, not my fault you can't ride Japanese performance bikes in your country which well and truly renders your argument invalid. Your inability to recognise this demonstrates that you do not care about facts or reason. It's also clear that you believe in some sort of us vs them conspiracy here? Bit crazy in my opinion.



Why stop? Funny that you mention Sth America, I lived in there for 3 years and was a member of the HUBB community helping other riders as they came through Bolivia. Not once do I recall a single Husqvarna, let alone someone riding a TE610. Saw tons of KLR650s, KTM640s, BMW650s, DR650s, the occasional XR250 or XR650 or something like that.



Nobody is 'hung up' about displacement, it's the topic of this thread. And who says they will go off-roading with 100lbs of gear on the back? Try 40lbs. And nobody is stopping someone from dropping that off at their campsite then ride around without the extra weight. Now guess what you don't need? Don't need a trailer, a 4wd to tow, all that crap that fills up the garage and rarely gets used. Sure it's not a bike that will win races but it will take you anywhere you want to go.
It's a big country and the rules vary from state to state. In Colorado you can plate any one of the jap performance bikes and ride it where ever you want. Although the WR450F is probably the most common plated jap performance bike round these parts. Heck, I got a two stroke gas gas XC300 in my garage that is going to have a plate on it before the end of the month.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #413
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rickcj7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Thanks for the info.

I see you say "TE630 engine shot" in your sig line. What's the story there?
Check cafe Husky for the story.
Dealer who split the case to fix a leak put the engine together wrong.
I'm in the process of sueing them now.

The screens kept chunks of stator and crank out of the gearbox and clutch.
__________________
Husqvarna TE630

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #414
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
It's my understanding that there is one paper filter, plus two steel screens that can be accessed externally and need to be removed and checked (fairly) frequently, plus another screen that can only be accessed by removing the clutch cover (I make that 4). If these only need to be checked a couple of times when the bike is new, it doesn't say that in the schedule.

Reading maintenance instructions was part of my purchase research. The 610 valve inspect/adjust procedure directs to remove the fuel tank, both radiators and the header tank for a valve check every 6K miles. If there's a workaround I didn't see it before - Good to know! All of that is easy in comparison to what's required for my GTS - but it only needs a valve check (all 20 of them) every 27,000 miles. The DR needs to be checked every oil change but it can be done in 5 min without removing anything but the two valve covers.

What has been your long-term experience with valve clearances?

How about the purported need to replace camchains every 10K or so to prevent them from eating into the breather valve?
On my TE630 the left (external) screens are one inside of the other and the right (internal) screen is the one inside the cover. Changing the oil including the paper filter element and all three screens in two locations is a 20 minute / 1 beer job including torquing the cover bolts with nothing more extravagant than a $60 Park bicycle torque wrench and a $89 cordless impact driver.

I have not had to touch the radiators outside of loosening some fasteners and tweaking a few things to get the valve cover off. By itself (after the first time) likely a 1-1.5 hour / 2-3 beer job. Just did the third valve clearance check and I have had to change one shim so far.

I am about half way to the recommended cam-chain interval so not worried about it yet, everything looked and felt good at valve check time.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #415
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,371
610 is screw/locknut.

The screens do NOT need to be messed with every oil change, and there are only 2 of them...the factory also tells us we need 20+ psi of air in the tires, and we all know how well that works out
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
00 KTM 640 ADV
01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #416
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
According to my Yamaha dealer that has been in the business 40 years,
It will not be happening.
But the 660 should make it to The USA soon... like 2014.
Of course not...they would have to build a NEW engine (wasn't the 250R based on 1/4 of the R1 engine?)...but think about a parallel twin WR500R coming in at 320 lbs ish.
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #417
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 114
After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding their motorcycles.
__________________
2008 - KLR685 - Currently For Sale
2008 CRF250x - Street Legal Hooligan Machine
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #418
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
Of course not...they would have to build a NEW engine (wasn't the 250R based on 1/4 of the R1 engine?)...but think about a parallel twin WR500R coming in at 320 lbs ish.
That sounds like fun... the Aprilia twins are a hoot!
__________________
2008 - KLR685 - Currently For Sale
2008 CRF250x - Street Legal Hooligan Machine
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #419
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Again, not my fault you can't ride Japanese performance bikes in your country which well and truly renders your argument invalid. Your inability to recognise this demonstrates that you do not care about facts or reason. It's also clear that you believe in some sort of us vs them conspiracy here? Bit crazy in my opinion.

.....
It is clear to me you had your sense of humor removed at some point. Next time I will remember the after every sentence instead of all the way at the end to help compensate for the handicap.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 04:07 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #420
George 99
Studly Adventurer
 
George 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Oddometer: 771
When I listed my Adventure Bike "wants" over at st-owners.com, this is what I received:


__________________
George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizona

George 99 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 05:48 PM
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014