Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #271
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
cant resist jumping in......personally I don't care weather you carry a firearm or not.....but for my own riding and camping..and i do a lot of it in bear country...ever since i got my first enduro when i was a tadpole in northwest MT....

Where in MT? I Lived in Whitefish until graduating high school.
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #272
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFDOC View Post
Where in MT? I Lived in Whitefish until graduating high school.
yep me too....whitefish until 1985 then kalispell for a year.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #273
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
....i figure if you don't have anything remotely appetizing on you..they just wander off.
Might not YOU be somewhat appetizing to a hungry bear?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #274
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb Back to the Roots

Camping with a Motorcycle on the Side of the Road, OFY!

I just returned from a ride and I am attempting to write a report. This part fits right in here…right?
=====================Part 3 ===================================

All right! Hwy. 53, right on Hwy. 8, left on county road O, right on 106th, left on Hwy. 24 all the way to I94 and into Minneapolis. 494 west around Saint Paul, to I35W south, right on 19 West, 169 south to 14 west blasting towards South Dakota. These are great biking roads with tons of small farm communities and interesting things to see and photograph. I could have stopped all the time but I’m in Iron-Butt mode as long as I’m in Minnesota, its ride, stop, hydrate, eat, chill, only long enough to partially recover, then continue riding hard. I think all big rides include some form Iron-Butt mode riding, its about throttling it up to get to where you want to throttle back and explore. And it just feels good to push your own physical and mental limits.

I have been practicing looking for spots like this nearly my entire life. This is a typical rest spot, a farm field with a rough path leading into some shade trees. There is not a farmer on this planet that will not welcome a weary traveler on a motorcycle the use of his shade tree along the road. Everyone feels this way,… right?

The cotter pin broke a leg off when I changed the rear wheel, so I need a new one. I continue to hammer it but stop long enough at a hardware store and buy a couple cotter pins.

Hwy. 14 heads west through southern Minnesota. At around 8:00 I’m close to the South Dakota border. There should be another hour and a half of daylight left but it is getting darker and darker straight ahead of me. Soon there are sprinkles then some serious lighting action, straight ahead. This requires immediate action so I turn on the first paved road pointing south and blast it. The storm brought bolt after bolt right in the fields behind me as I try to race away, ands it was a race to keep dry. I made it twenty miles before the storm overtakes me with serious crosswinds and lighting. Passing the only farmhouse in miles, I see a few small trees right at the edge of the field. I do a 180, drive off the road and straight to the trees next to the cornfield. My emergency tarp is always at the ready but I had not attached any new cords lately. I calmly locate the camp rope, a knife and begin to cut perfect lengths of rope while tying three Bolen knots to the tarp. The tarp is secure to the bike perfectly now and all is good.

The rain poured and the lighting light the sky for an hour and a half. I’ll tell ya, spending time under a small tarp attached to a motorcycle while a severe electrical and wind storm is happening right next to you is an experience to say the least. I actually admitted to Heidi that I was almost a little afraid for a bit, the lighting was happening so rapidly it sounded like a freight train, and that is the sigh of an approaching tornado, and sitting on the up-side of a motorcycle in a tornado is not a good place to be. :|

After lifting the tarp to look and listen, I did conclude that it was just rapid-fire successions of lighting, not a tornado. Whoosh, I’m a happy guy.

Two hours later, the storm passed and it feels warm, back on the road

I make it to a small village in South Dakota. Anyone who as ever traveled through the back roads of SD knows that almost every little town has a city park where it is possible to camp. It is simply part of the culture here.

Off the corner of my eye, I see an RV sitting at a small city park, perfect. My camp is up in no time. It feels great to be dry and bedded down.

Coffee, water, nuts, trail mix and dried apricots, I am good to go, yeah!

It was still raining a little in the morning but soon stopped. I pack up early and take off.

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #275
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Did this thread go dead? Kinda bummed, loved seeing pictures of people camping on the side of the road. Always wanted to do it.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #276
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Behind a motel in WV. It was late and they were filled up but said I could pitch the tent out back. Free wifi too.

Free boat launch camping along flooded river in MO

Primitive site in the Rockies

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #277
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
Did this thread go dead? Kinda bummed, loved seeing pictures of people camping on the side of the road. Always wanted to do it.
That is all I need

I’m out of here, Sturgis 2012’ short and sweet, win-win.

Hwy 34 east from Sturgis

After Pierre I skirt along the Missouri River again looking for a public use area along the river. I know I’m going to ride until the last light, it makes the need to find a camp more urgent and to me, more fun. What is wrong with me!

Super timing

It would be hard to pick a better campsite if I had all day to look.

Primitive camping at its best

Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #278
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Thumb

Ok, one more, just for fun

Super, I reach Duluth by 6:00PM, still enough time to get further north and make into the Superior National Forest, where I know there has to be free camping all over that can be used for a quick overnight.

Duluth Minnesota starts the beautiful north shore drive along Lake Superior. Less than twenty miles up the north shore my route takes me due north into the Superior National Forest.

This area is new to me but it feels very familiar, public forest and public forest roads. I see dozens of fire-lanes and logging roads with large boulders placed at their entrance. I’m sure they are for deterring ATV use, which is highly regulated n Minnesota. Although these trails are perfect for adventure motorcyclists looking for protected camp spots, the boulders would have to be moved for anything with four-wheels to get through.

I like the way this sign reads “Road may be impassable Travel at your own risk” I check out several trails looking for a perfect isolated and protected spot. This is a great area for adventure dual-sport motorcycle riding.

After sunset, I go into the mode ‘look hard for a camp site’. I ride down a few rough dirt roads pulling over to stop and look for any flat area to set a tent. The key for me is to feel confident that no one will ever see me or discover me if I stay just the night. I find a couple of sites that would have been fine but decide to ride further. I mark in my head what the odometer reads so if I can’t find anything up the road, I can always return to exactly this place, in the dark if necessary. I do this for every acceptable spot when its this late in the day.

The next dirt road I try has a small sign with a name on it ‘White Lake’. A quarter mile down is a little sigh showing a tent symbol. The trail ends at a small lake and four sweet campsites right on the foot lake. What a score, no one here but me.

Witnessing the transformation of twilight over a lake is always a good way to end the day.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #279
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Don't ride up to Christina Lake in BC on Canada Day and expect to find a campground with an open spot at 6pm.

Up a logging road a few miles from the Lake:

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #280
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
here is a little something for you stealth campers....
an all black very light weight bike cover....and at a great price. about 10% of what aerostich wants for something similar.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181030808310...84.m1423.l2649
i don't have any affiliation with the seller...but have bought 2 of these now for my klr's they fit the klr well and pack up pretty small......maybe soup can size if you really try.
just th thing to remain stealth just off the road.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #281
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
This aspect never really got covered. Do any of you guys just roll up to a house, tell your quick story, and ask if you can set up in their yard? If so how are the results?
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #282
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,487
Sometimes I will roll into a town late (too late to spend too much time looking for a campsite) and I always look for an apartment complex. There are usually flat, empty spaces next to the buildings.

If someone asks what you're doing, tell them you're "testing my camping equipment." They'll assume you live in one of the apartments. As long as you're gone early, no one will bother you and it's doubtful you'll run into the manager.

It's not ideal (traffic, loud "neighbors") but finding an apartment complex will work in a pinch. And as long as you're not building a bonfire, the cops will leave you alone, too.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #283
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
That's a hell-of-an-idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Sometimes I will roll into a town late (too late to spend too much time looking for a campsite) and I always look for an apartment complex. There are usually flat, empty spaces next to the buildings.

If someone asks what you're doing, tell them you're "testing my camping equipment." They'll assume you live in one of the apartments. As long as you're gone early, no one will bother you and it's doubtful you'll run into the manager.

It's not ideal (traffic, loud "neighbors") but finding an apartment complex will work in a pinch. And as long as you're not building a bonfire, the cops will leave you alone, too.

+1

ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #284
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightup View Post
This aspect never really got covered. Do any of you guys just roll up to a house, tell your quick story, and ask if you can set up in their yard? If so how are the results?
On a bicycle trip through Arizona a number of years back I was having trouble finding a place to stop for the night due to the terrain. I came up on a small farmhouse, and a guy was out working in the yard, so I pulled in.

I introduced myself and asked if I could set up my tent in their yard. He agreed and even offered that I could stay in a small, clean shed out back. They let me take a shower and his wife made me a big sandwich for dinner.

That's the only cold call I can remember in my experience and they were enthusiastic hosts.

In a couple other cases I've stopped to check out a piece of private property only to have the landowner come by, whereby I either ask permission to set up my tent there, or I'll ask if they know anyplace I could set up my tent. In no case have I been refused. In a couple of instances the landowner offered a spare bedroom, or asks if I'd like some dinner or a couple beers.

I'd have a hard time knocking on someone's door, but if I were to see them outside, or made casual contact in some other way, I wouldn't have too much problem asking to set up my tent.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #285
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 939
As a climber I've camped on the side of the road a lot. Don't have many pics of it, but I like this one (posted it before). It was at the end of a long day of riding (~10hrs, 563 miles).

Since people are showing informal camping also, we found this spot a bit off off the road:

The sunrise view from there:
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote