User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #26881
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
My heart rate goes above 105 if I look at my bike. I think I'm at about 90 right now at my desk.

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #26882
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,027
Looks like I'll be spending the weekend practicing some of this:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #26883
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Triathletes on a hill...

http://youtu.be/EcqIgCJNjto

SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #26884
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
NICE!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1

Gorgeous....
Thanks, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
Triathletes on a hill...

That's a gearing problem; not a triathlete problem.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #26885
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Pulled the Vitus out from the back of the shop, pumped up the tires and lubed the chain. Ready for another year!

Did the annual battery replacement in the Avocet--only 165 miles last year Most of that riding with the younger boy to school. Looking to do a bit more this year.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #26886
championsound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Really curious where you got this image from because it looks strangely familiar. I'm thinking it's a Mercian with a custom barbor pole paint job and Vigorelli lugs...
championsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #26887
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,027
Niner Jet 9 RDO CF frame?

A local Niner dealer has one in the box that he offered to me for $1400. Retail price on these is $2400. Should I buy it?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #26888
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
A local Niner dealer has one in the box that he offered to me for $1400. Retail price on these is $2400. Should I buy it?

Yes.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #26889
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,463
So I picked up a set of nashbar PVC parabolic rollers for use during the icy winters here, which of course caused a heat wave melting the snow, but thats besides the point.

Never did ride rollers before, and man do I have to say these things are a real sonovabitch. I can get up using the wall for a support, but to just do a freestanding start is nearly impossible. Any tips? I will say once you get moving they are much better than any resistance trainer ive used, and wear you out trying to maintain speed to help your stability.

The nashbar units appear to be of decent quality, though the rollers scuff easilly. For $150, I cant complain and would reccomend them for anyone tired of dodging snowflakes. I havent even massively ate shit off them yet (although it sure felt like I was trying for the first day)

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #26890
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,560
If you have an unfinished basement use them there if it's not too dank and has headroom. You can grip over head.

Or two boxes one each side. .
Low gears toi begin your spin and balance.
Proper set up of the wheelbase match to the roller spacing will help a lot.

Don't watch TV at first. If you're indoors you'll need a fan. If the rollers have plain bearings with some good drag you won't need big gears.
Rollers reward smooth pedal strokes, i.e.pedaling squares.

I gave mine away and told the guy they were free if he promised to never bring them back. I'd rather ride on ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
So I picked up a set of nashbar PVC parabolic rollers for use during the icy winters here, which of course caused a heat wave melting the snow, but thats besides the point.

Never did ride rollers before, and man do I have to say these things are a real sonovabitch. I can get up using the wall for a support, but to just do a freestanding start is nearly impossible. Any tips? I will say once you get moving they are much better than any resistance trainer ive used, and wear you out trying to maintain speed to help your stability.

The nashbar units appear to be of decent quality, though the rollers scuff easilly. For $150, I cant complain and would reccomend them for anyone tired of dodging snowflakes. I havent even massively ate shit off them yet (although it sure felt like I was trying for the first day)
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #26891
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:

NEVER, EVER ,EVER watch anything on TV that will make you flinch. Walking Dead would send you flying!

Practice is the only thing that worked for me, concentrate on SMOOOOOOTH.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #26892
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:

Here's how you do it:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #26893
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
Triathletes on a hill...

IME triathletes are mostly runners and swimmers that ride a bike because their sport requires them to. They're not cyclists that run and swim. ...and I'll agree with the 'its a gearing issue' to a certain extent because of the above.

Speaking of gearing... Mark your calendars now! The Devil's Backbone ride is going to be on 23Mar13 this year. (details on the web) I'll be there. Had a great time last year at both rides. Bring rain stuff, the ride goes off rain or shine. ...AND bring a 27t cassette. You'll need it!

M
Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #26894
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
NEVER, EVER ,EVER watch anything on TV that will make you flinch. Walking Dead would send you flying!

Practice is the only thing that worked for me, concentrate on SMOOOOOOTH.
+1

After a short while, you'll be able to stand up to relieve some of the pressure 'down there,' you'll be able to ride no-handed, and you'll be able to get a drink out of your cages. It really all just comes down to 'ride em more.'

Turning the wheels faster = easier to go straight. (but I'll bet you've figured that out by now)

M
Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #26895
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

If it's the right size, yes! However, it overlaps what you already have.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: