Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #7321
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezuar View Post
Wow thanks jezuar that is pretty cool! Owner's manuals in PDF form for almost any bike out there and in multiple languages? Thanks!

A little confusing to navigate but not bad as everything is in English right after the Spanish. Here's a Linky to BMW models, in English

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #7322
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Cold Stalling - Link collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielks View Post
Hi there!!! GXers!!

I have a G650x country, 2007, 5200km.
Installed recently a booster plug, KN filter (removed the under fairing air box lid), and a Leo vince X3 exhaust.... wraped the exhaust header in aramid tape....
Since that, when the engine is cold, it runs normaly, but suddenly death... start again, runs good, and suddenly off again..... happens for 3 or 4 times on idle only... after, runs normal...

someone had the same issue, with the extras or not, how can you fixed?

regards form Brazil!!!
This topic has been beat to death but there is still not a SINGLE clear set of answers. Battery, cleaning the idle actuator, doing the throttle positioning sensor "reset dance" with the throttle seem to be the top things that come to mind. However...

Since I too have this problem but only minor and mainly when the season changes to colder weather (like maybe 40 or 50 degrees F or below)... a few months ago I captured all the links to this problem in one place on my big links web page:

Snooker's G650X Links Page - then search for: Issues/Tips

My workaround (not a solution) is to start the bike and ride it (gently) rather than let it warm up. This just avoids watching it die sitting in my driveway over and over as it only dies while on idle. Once it is warmed up it quits happening in my case. And I don't ride in stop and go traffic really so it is not life threatening like for some . Even after I got a new battery (Lithium) and cleaning the idle actuator and doing the throttle "reset dance", it still happens but for me is not a problem.

As everyone will tell you over and over, DON'T UNDERESTIMATE BATTERY ISSUES! This bike is very sensitive to voltage and fluctuations of a weak battery that you may think is ok (since the bike starts up). So get a new one (a good one, Yuasa, Odyssey or LiFePO4 (lithium)) or at least fully charge your battery (AND check voltages before and after, while engine is running) before you try it out.

Daniel, in your case you are in Brazil in the middle of summer so it must be warm there so I wonder... Does it occur EVEN WORSE in colder air temperatures (winter)? Does it stop once the bike engine is warmed up?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 09:41 AM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #7323
danielks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I don't think that can battery or sparks... the bike has only 5800km.... here we are in the summer... 30C happens often...
It happens only with cold engine.... after less then 2 minutes after starting it happens no more....

Even if I walkaround gently.... the engine seems to stops.

The idle does not pop pop or fail.... it runs normal, but suddenly stops. looks like you press the kill switch.

I've not noticed that it gots worse on colder times... and as I said, when the engine is hot, it stops...

Will try to reset TPS and see....

If nothing happens, will desinstall the booster plug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
This topic has been beat to death but there is still not a SINGLE clear set of answers. Battery, cleaning the idle actuator, doing the throttle positioning sensor "reset dance" with the throttle seem to be the top things that come to mind. However...

Since I too have this problem but only minor and mainly when the season changes to colder weather (like maybe 40 or 50 degrees F or below)... a few months ago I captured all the links to this problem in one place on my big links web page:

Snooker's G650X Links Page - then search for: Issues/Tips

My workaround (not a solution) is to start the bike and ride it (gently) rather than let it warm up. This just avoids watching it die sitting in my driveway over and over as it only dies while on idle. Once it is warmed up it quits happening in my case. And I don't ride in stop and go traffic really so it is not life threatening like for some . Even after I got a new battery (Lithium) and cleaning the idle actuator and doing the throttle "reset dance", it still happens but for me is not a problem.

As everyone will tell you over and over, DON'T UNDERESTIMATE BATTERY ISSUES! This bike is very sensitive to voltage and fluctuations of a weak battery that you may think is ok (since the bike starts up). So get a new one (a good one, Yuasa, Odyssey or LiFePO4 (lithium)) or at least fully charge your battery (AND check voltages before and after, while engine is running) before you try it out.

Daniel, in your case you are in Brazil in the middle of summer so it must be warm there so I wonder... Does it occur EVEN WORSE in colder air temperatures (winter)? Does it stop once the bike engine is warmed up?
danielks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #7324
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,082
Quote:
I don't think that can battery or sparks... the bike has only 5800km.... here we are in the summer... 30C happens often...
It happens only with cold engine.... after less then 2 minutes after starting it happens no more....

Even if I walkaround gently.... the engine seems to stops.

The idle does not pop pop or fail.... it runs normal, but suddenly stops. looks like you press the kill switch.

I've not noticed that it gots worse on colder times... and as I said, when the engine is hot, it stops...

Will try to reset TPS and see....

If nothing happens, will desinstall the booster plug...
My XCHallenge would do that to me in Baja for some reason. I get back into the USA and put gas in it and it fires up and doesn't stall when cold.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #7325
pibyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Hi there!!! GXers!!

I have a G650x country, 2007, 5200km.
Installed recently a booster plug, KN filter (removed the under fairing air box lid), and a Leo vince X3 exhaust.... wraped the exhaust header in aramid tape....
Since that, when the engine is cold, it runs normaly, but suddenly death... start again, runs good, and suddenly off again..... happens for 3 or 4 times on idle only... after, runs normal...

someone had the same issue, with the extras or not, how can you fixed?

regards form Brazil!!!
Well, I am not an expert at all but you may consider the following:

a) it appears that this bike does not like low quality fuels or fuels which are contaminated (allegedly for the sake of environmental friendliness) with ethanol or so called bio-esters so I would try to shop around for a better fuel, especially that from what I know, ethanol is a very popular fuel additive in your parts of the world.

b) booster plug in principle cheats the system so it does "think" that it is colder than it is which in turn results in (slightly) higher volume of fuel injected - in your case it looks like the bike is more friendly when warm, so you may try disconnecting booster plug and check the result. In my case was the opposite - in cold weather the bike was more user friendly.

If you are sure that your battery is in perfect working order, then combination of booster plug and improper fuel may be the reason behind your problem. I have never had this sort of issue - maybe once or twice it died just after firing but it was in really cold weather (below 0 Celsius). I have booster plug and Leo Vince exhaust installed. Stock battery died very fast so I have it replaced with Yuasa.

best regards, Piotr
pibyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #7326
danielks
Adventurer

Tried to reset the TPS... nothing different....

Took off Booster plug.. still nothing.....

Next fuel tank will try premium gasoline.... U$1,8 per liter here in Brazil.... ethanol and plumb free.... lets see what occours.

Pibyk, you got stock air filter ? if it is a high flow one, wich ?

by now, thank you all!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #7327
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Has anyone modified their front fenders and is willing to sell the metal brace? I want to use it to stop the flutter on my Xmoto fender above 90 MPH (on the track - before anyone scolds me!). Thanks!
# 7 in the diagram

Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #7328
pibyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Tried to reset the TPS... nothing different....

Took off Booster plug.. still nothing.....

Next fuel tank will try premium gasoline.... U$1,8 per liter here in Brazil.... ethanol and plumb free.... lets see what occours.

Pibyk, you got stock air filter ? if it is a high flow one, wich ?

by now, thank you all!
I have stock air filter.
pibyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #7329
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Anyone know what would be the replacement "bend" or as close to stock as possible to the stock XCountry bars. The OEM ones are a bit pricey.
thanks
mike
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #7330
danielks
Adventurer

Wich bars man ??? Handle bars ?? You can replace with Pro taper, or Renthal one.... wich is much betters (with center support bar)

you can select different angles, and can cut, with the width that you want.... (I think that the OEM is a bit too large...)

regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40 View Post
Anyone know what would be the replacement "bend" or as close to stock as possible to the stock XCountry bars. The OEM ones are a bit pricey.
thanks
mike
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #7331
danielks
Adventurer

Anyway... voltmeter shows 13.6 to 14 volts when running. 13.0 idle. 12.4 engine off.

OEM battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibyk View Post
Well, I am not an expert at all but you may consider the following:

a) it appears that this bike does not like low quality fuels or fuels which are contaminated (allegedly for the sake of environmental friendliness) with ethanol or so called bio-esters so I would try to shop around for a better fuel, especially that from what I know, ethanol is a very popular fuel additive in your parts of the world.

b) booster plug in principle cheats the system so it does "think" that it is colder than it is which in turn results in (slightly) higher volume of fuel injected - in your case it looks like the bike is more friendly when warm, so you may try disconnecting booster plug and check the result. In my case was the opposite - in cold weather the bike was more user friendly.

If you are sure that your battery is in perfect working order, then combination of booster plug and improper fuel may be the reason behind your problem. I have never had this sort of issue - maybe once or twice it died just after firing but it was in really cold weather (below 0 Celsius). I have booster plug and Leo Vince exhaust installed. Stock battery died very fast so I have it replaced with Yuasa.

best regards, Piotr
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #7332
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Anyway... voltmeter shows 13.6 to 14 volts when running. 13.0 idle. 12.4 engine off.

OEM battery.
Check the fuel pump and fuel pump wiring. Mine gummed up after sitting for a while. People complain of stalling and such and the fuel pump could be the culprit yet every body points at the battery. The batteries were intially bad but if a new one was installed I would move on. The blended fuels seem to cause problems if these bikes aren't ridden. Yours with 5700 kilometers is not even broken in yet and being a 2007 probably sat for a while. Maybe somebody here knows how to clean a fuel pump that is gumbed up with gasoline additives. A new BMW pump is expensive but there are probably auto pumps that would work. This is just an opinion as I am no mechanic.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #7333
Pescador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Go here and look at this. I did this and all is good.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=13744679
Idle accuator cleaning
Don't forget to remove PCV hose from airbox and add small cone filter to the end

Quote:

OEM battery.
Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #7334
Pescador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Here is the link to the type of filter I used on the end of the PCV hose.
http://www.dhgate.com/cpwf10-mini-co...html#s1-1-null
Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #7335
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Looking into a different direction, It could be a rusty contact on a switch like the ignition switch or stand switch for instance that is failing due to vibrations during idle. When the engine is reving you won't noticed It because of It's inertial mass.

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote