Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 228 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #1441
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
Thanks for that info. It sounds like it would work well then. i am going to have to research these a little more.
PM me if you have any questions. I'm no expert but I researched them for a year before finding mine.

Also hppyfngy over at http://sprinter-source.com/forum/

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #1442
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 807
But don't you still need to consider the max weight combined for the Sprinter and trailer?

For example my 3500 is a Roadtrek RV and has a lot of weight added to it with all the cabinets and such. If I understand it correctly, my GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is 15250, so Sprinter and trailer has to stay under that number, right?

If so, and my tow capacity is 7000, then my sprinter loaded has to stay under 8250 if I'm pulling a trailer at the max weight of 7000.

I haven't weighed the Sprinter all loaded up yet, but I bet it's gotta be close to 11,000. If so, I have to keep trailer weight under 4250. That can be tough. A bike and equipment can weigh in around 1000 or more depending on spares and tools, fuel, etc... So you have 3250 left for the weight of the trailer itself. And then you're maxed out. Who wants to max things out?

And what about the weight of the beer and firewood? :cool:

Am I understanding this correctly?

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #1443
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post

PA Slammer
yup. A fact many ignore.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #1444
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
But don't you still need to consider the max weight combined for the Sprinter and trailer?

For example my 3500 is a Roadtrek RV and has a lot of weight added to it with all the cabinets and such. If I understand it correctly, my GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is 15250, so Sprinter and trailer has to stay under that number, right?

If so, and my tow capacity is 7000, then my sprinter loaded has to stay under 8250 if I'm pulling a trailer at the max weight of 7000.

I haven't weighed the Sprinter all loaded up yet, but I bet it's gotta be close to 11,000. If so, I have to keep trailer weight under 4250. That can be tough. A bike and equipment can weigh in around 1000 or more depending on spares and tools, fuel, etc... So you have 3250 left for the weight of the trailer itself. And then you're maxed out. Who wants to max things out?

And what about the weight of the beer and firewood? :cool:

PA Slammer
Yes! Definitely yes. I can't confirm your numbers but you got it. In my case though, I'm pulling a small camper with a nearly empty Sprinter. Many people make redneck RV's out of Sprinter Cargo's, with minimum amount of weight and equipment and they'll weigh in far less than your Roadtrek. That's sort of what I'm doing.

Don't tow close to capacity though. Many do, but it's very risky, IMHO.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #1445
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

In terms of getting a second bike on the trailer (when the wife starts to ride again as the baby grows up a little) I'm thinking I'll add a receiver hitch to the rear of the camper. I'm still in the brainstorming phase of design, but have some mild to mildly wild ideas on how to do it. The real benefit of putting the second bike on the rear of the camper is the obvious weight distribution. The Jeep is rated to 3500 lbs and the camper is ~2300 lbs dry, so I should have enough for a full water load with both bikes and a couple other nick knacks. The family and doalotgs will go in the Jeep in total comfort, so I'm excited for future family trips.
You want to be real careful weighting the back of a trailer. A bike might not seem like of allot weight, but the lightest 2 stroke plus the carrier will be at least 250 lbs at the end of a pretty significant lever.

Have you ever pulled a trailer with too little tongue weight? It can be anything from sketchy to a pile up.

The rule of thumb is at least 10% of your laden trailer weight should be on the tongue. Realistcally 300 lbs on the back of a trailer is that size/weight is not a great idea. Your trailer when loaded normally should be at least 350 lbs on the hitch, so lets call it 500 lbs, Just by eyeballing it, it seems the distance from the hitch to the trailer axle and where a bike would hang off the back would be about equal, which brings your tongue weight to 200 lbs or so.

I have had some pretty bad experiences with about that weight on the back of a 20' tandem camper trailer when pulled with a full size pickup, so please use my mistake to your advantage. If your gonna do it anyways, at least take it real easy until you understand the dynamics. Just for the sake of comparison the trailer weighed in at about 6000 lbs, and the tongue weight was probably at about 500 lbs when the nastiness happened.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 05:09 PM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #1446
hppyfngy
not dead yet

^^ Dwayne has it right alright. Putting a bike on the rear of the trailer is a bad idea.

Figure out a way to get two on the tongue and get a weight distributing hitch. Your TV is looking tongue heavy to begin with. Too little tongue weight is potentially hazardous to your health.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1447
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
anyone ever add a front mount hitch to their TV?

I want one for a bike rack, or to push the camper into tight spots
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #1448
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
anyone ever add a front mount hitch to their TV?

I want one for a bike rack, or to push the camper into tight spots
This one of Mr. Cob's has always been an inspriation to me.

Bought the same carrier. May eventually move it to the front of my tow rig.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #1449
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,234
Dwayne, you're spot on with your analysis with one exception: the water capacity. The main tank is only 20 gallons, so halve that figure you mentioned. As such, that's the last 200 lbs I'll need for gear and such.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do the run down, though, as you filled in some gaps on figures that I had.

I'm in no hurry to do any of this as my wife is probably close to a year out from riding seriously. And right now, I'm using her bike, so if there is a case of her wanting to ride, I'll just stay in camp with baby, and she can take off.

It might be that at the point where we'll be doing both of us riding at the same time, the little one will be on a bike as well, which will require a proper tow vehicle and possibly a toy hauler for bikes for mom & dad & little man.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #1450
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
Dwayne,
Nice work.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #1451
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,408
This past fall, my niece and her boyfriend hit the open road for a lil adventure. I thought this thread would be a good place to show the rig they put together

Here is their blog

http://thewildrovers.wordpress.com/drew-and-danielle/

DW
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #1452
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
This past fall, my niece and her boyfriend hit the open road for a lil adventure. I thought this thread would be a good place to show the rig they put together

Here is their blog

DW
the rig would be ugly if it was not so cute... I think I will follow them on the blog. I too have a soft spot in my heart for old Rovers and small trailers...
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #1453
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post

Here is their blog

DW
That's so cool. (The vehicles and the journey)
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #1454
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Dwayne, you're spot on with your analysis with one exception: the water capacity. The main tank is only 20 gallons, so halve that figure you mentioned. As such, that's the last 200 lbs I'll need for gear and such.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do the run down, though, as you filled in some gaps on figures that I had.

I'm in no hurry to do any of this as my wife is probably close to a year out from riding seriously. And right now, I'm using her bike, so if there is a case of her wanting to ride, I'll just stay in camp with baby, and she can take off.

It might be that at the point where we'll be doing both of us riding at the same time, the little one will be on a bike as well, which will require a proper tow vehicle and possibly a toy hauler for bikes for mom & dad & little man.
I also assumed that you Jeep is a automatic, the factory derates the GCVWR to less that 6000 lbs for a standard (if you have a standard).. I also just noticed your winch, and that along with any other add ons need to be factored into your weight calculations. Also consider a front mounted winch will amplify the effects of not enough tongue weight.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #1455
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
i do like it when a vintage (unique) camper has a tow vehicle that kinda fits/matches
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: