Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,648
My riding has become much safer lately, but that's due to my type of riding now.

I had been a four-seasons road-rider for many years, averaging at least 5,000 miles a year on dual-sport bikes commuting and traveling. I've ridden in Hawaii, all over the desert southwest, got my Iron Butt numbers, rode Alaska's Dalton Hwy, the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and many, many other enjoyable rides since the early 80's.

That came to screeching halt (literally) when a habitual violator with no insurance driving on a suspended license pulled out in front of my Tiger three years ago. My bike had two headlights, I was wearing a fluorescent yellow reflective vest, and it was broad daylight on a sunny day, and the stupid motherfucker still didn't see me. This was my very first wreck on a street bike, after having ridden on the road since 1987.

I went down with a concussion, two broken spine vertebra, three broken in my neck, broken ribs, punctured lung, and a dislocated shoulder with nerve damage. I was ATTGAT, and with the exception of a small skinned spot on my right knee, there wasn't a superficial mark on me. My Nolan N-102 modular helmet was wonderful... all the little plastic trim doodads came off of it, but it held together just like a solid full-face. I didn't even have a chipped tooth.

I left the scene in an ambulance, the other driver left the scene in a police car.

I was away from bikes and riding (and ADV) for a couple years, but I held on to my old trail bike, thinking I might get back into trail riding at some point. And I did.

I ride a few times a month now, but strictly off-road, mostly single-track. My injuries are pretty much just skinned elbows as I fall over in a rut, or some other obstacle with minimal forward ground speed.

I still love motorcycles, and I still love riding, but I just won't enjoy riding on the road anymore. Smaller-displacement thumpers (400cc and a couple 250s) for me now, and I'm happy as a clam.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 05:14 PM
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
skibikemototour OP
Banned

Oddometer: 13
Talking Good discussion, thanks.

Good discussion, thanks. I think the little 250cc motos I am riding lately have less potential for trouble. You can crank it WFO and compared to my open class dirt bikes and big streebike in the past...very tame! Although in my youth I wheelied my TS185 relentlessly, 188 ft once, and one time I flipped it while showing off and the gas tank flew off in front of everyone....! But it was my open-class Husky that sent me to the ER twice

I think this week I am a little tired after getting a little concussion out having fun...That is perhaps why I have been pondering this stuff. Last weekend I climbed a mountain on skis with my daughter and 4 buddies. While leading the way down, skiing nice powder, I zipped under a low branch as usual on this run and met a bent-over tree top that was not there last season. Hit it with goggles and my ultralight climbing helmet, clothes-lined me, no give at all. At 55 I think I am not as indestructible as in in the past...

Today I went out on the snomo, parked and climbed twice and skied powder solo Feelin' strong, ready to ride next season. Right now all I do is open the garage and start, rev, and idle my motos every week. Maybe next season again I will stick to dirt and gravel as much as possible and continue to stay safe!
skibikemototour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Yeah, some of us are getting to the age where we just don't heal up very quickly anymore. And I don't bounce worth a shit these days.
XR400 Index
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
skibikemototour OP
Banned

Oddometer: 13
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Yeah, some of us are getting to the age where we just don't heal up very quickly anymore. And I don't bounce worth a shit these days.
Exactly, my friend! My mind thinks I am a 28 yo tough guy, until my body reminds me that I am....55 not so strong, not so indestructable!
skibikemototour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

That's pretty much it. I'll turn 46 next month, but I'm in great shape (I can hang with fellow Taekwondo students half my age) and feel like I'm still in my 20's. Until I inadvertently lift something heavy at work. Then my back reminds me that I'm twice as old as I think I am, and that my spine's permanently deformed from the bike wreck.

But aside from the injuries, scarring, and fatigue, I feel great.
XR400 Index