User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Guzzi chrome...

Well she was fun while it lasted! After getting to spend LOTS of time the last few weeks with my new bike I will be putting her into the "moth balls" for the immediate future. Problem is, although the time spent was great, it was in the garage, cleaning, checking, changing and generally servicing the machine I have lusted after for as long as I can remember. At least we have that, but all is not lost, I am only hopeful that the damage done is not going to cut too deep into the wallet. On a positive note, I did get to ride her around the block and it seems that she is solid shifting and quite stable with no strange noises or inconsistencies. I'm not sure at this point that I would do it again but I'm sure that time will help and after I can save a little money I will be able to do a dual lung transplant. See, it's only because of the AdvRider that I really fell in love with the Guzzi and it's also only because of this place that I didn't ride the new to me bike until I locked the engine up. There have been quite a few folks here that have provided advice and knowledge that kept me from just getting it running and riding off into the sunset. I am more thankful than you guys could know and hopefully I will be able to find the cash to replace the flaking cylinder(s) or liners ASAP although it looks like spring riding will not be on the Guzzi. The following few photos will most likely not show up too well for most folks but I know what I saw in the oil pan and it is NOT pretty. I believe that this is the famous de-lamination of the cylinder walls in my freshly changed oil that may only have 10 minutes run time and most of that was idling in the garage trying to get the thing to idle. Problem is, I don't know how long the PO ran it like this so we shall have to wait and see...

Don't worry too much about the larger items you may see in the oily mess, it appears that most of these are organic. Somehow these were bits of twigs and leaves in my oil pan...WTF?

This last image shows some of what stuck to my magnet as I ran it through the oil.
SO, my advice to any that come after me is to listen to the Guzzisti in the know and check your cylinders if the bike had been sitting before you acquired it! Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 305
Yuck. I feel your pain. Good luck when you do get to fix her.

Was the PO actually riding it recently?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,355
Ohhhhhhh, thats so too bad. I'm building one up myself, and I've got a set of old, non-peeled chrome bore jugs with matching pistons that I've been tempted to put on it. I was leaning heavily in the direction of buying new ones, but now after seeing this, I have no doubt of what I should do. So sorry.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
it's only because of the AdvRider that I really fell in love with the Guzzi
Me to, I had never seen an Ambo or Eldo before I came on here, but as soon as I did I knew I wanted one, I even thought about buying one from the US, and shipping it to the UK
I bought mine as a running bike, so I had an idea it was fine, and I changed out the oil after I got it home to check it, and it was fine, in fact the oil was so keen to show me it was clean it decided to come out all on its own I am still looking to change the cylinders though, and may do that sooner than later.

Good luck with your bike, at least you have a nice hot summer to look forward to
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Too bad! My Guzzi (1970) came in boxes so I can see my cyl condition, and a prev owner has sleeved them. All the parts are there but it's still a jigsaw puzzle. Oh well, it's snowing out, time to go out to the shop and start sorting parts.
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote