Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
I recognized Weinert, Lackey, Tony D, Gary Jones...
DeWayne Jones, Barnett, Guy Cooper, Hansen, Barry Higgins, Gunnar Lindstrom, Stanton, Lechein, it was truly surreal.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
DeWayne Jones, Barnett, Guy Cooper, Hansen, Barry Higgins, Gunnar Lindstrom, Stanton, Lechein, it was truly surreal.

I hope to make it to the VMX at Unadilla next year, I have offered to drive the truck and be the "mechanic" for Trey Jorski, #49 on the Kawasaki in the pics, we'll see if it works out. He was a up and coming pro back in the '70's with a lot of potential until he got sideways with the AMA. I still need to post my VMX pics from Jeeps MC Club, gotta make a thread in old school...
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Agman
Ranching Rider

Oddometer: 242
Many memories...

I, too, was at this race in Plano, which was a pretty long drive up from Houston. Got a chance to visit with Marty Smith and some others. The Trans-Ama series was great in that era and filled in during the "off" season of fall and winter. Fantastic photos...really enjoyed seeing them.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,799
Quote:
awesome!

does it say who 80 on a Husky and 36 on the Moto Fox RM is?
Yes it does, the #80 your buddy Pat Moroney, self sponsored. #36 is Mickey Boone sponsored by S & M Cycles.

Here's a couple of color ones from the 77 500 national.

ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereisnoSpoon View Post
Yes it does, the #80 your buddy Pat Moroney, self sponsored.
dammit I thought that was him. I should have gone out on a limb and ID'd him!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
I hope to make it to the VMX at Unadilla next year, I have offered to drive the truck and be the "mechanic" for Trey Jorski, #49 on the Kawasaki in the pics, we'll see if it works out. He was a up and coming pro back in the '70's with a lot of potential until he got sideways with the AMA. I still need to post my VMX pics from Jeeps MC Club, gotta make a thread in old school...
Trey Jorski was pretty much kicking ass and taking names at Unadilla's first VMX last June that freaking guy flies. He rode a lot of classes and most on a KX400 down pipe that looked basically stock. Him and Trampas Parker were the only ones who could hang with Guy Cooper. What a treat it was seeing those guys. I knew Lackey and all the usual suspects would be there, Weinert, Hansen, Gary Jones (they seem to be very active with the VMX) but had no idea Stanton and Cooper and Parker would be there. I'd like to know more about Trey Jorski that guy FREAKING HAULS ASS. They all rode some of the Team Bul Bultaco's also and Trampas Parker was killing it. A real treat. The great thing about these VMX events is the chance to chat and hang with these guys. Just listening to them chat with other people is cool. Lackey busted on Barnett by quoting the "how does 5 laps sound boys" and everyone got a laugh. While there weren't 1000's of people there enough riders were there so it felt "crowded" but to be able to walk out on that track while it was being ridden (good luck getting out there during a National) was priceless. Even Mick Andrews was there who besides being a trials legend also did some MX in his day and can still ride it. Guy must be in his 60's. Hopefully the events will grow it really was about as cheap an entertainment value as you could find. Great stuff and looking forward to seeing more 90's riders show up I was just shocked to see Stanton and it was a real treat. See you in June!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Charmichael just happened to race in an era when there were a bunch of slackers and now he fancies himself the greatest ever. which he isn't.
Yeah, like Michael Schumacher, except RC isn't a smug dickhead!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #23
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,211
Thanks for the link Flug

Agman - glad you enjoyed them!
Looking at them now, you can see the sport transitioning from the "duct tape and whatever works" look of the earlier years into the more homogenous, polished look of the factory teams.

Spoon! Got more pics? Me like

BTW, if you guys know any of the riders, have them send me a PM or an email and I'll try to get them a hi-res version of the image...

LoneStar screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 07:35 AM
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote