Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #2851
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
1960's BSA MX team with Jeff Smith and crew.

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #2852
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 890
Chuck Minert, Dave Aldana among others.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #2853
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
1960's BSA MX team with Jeff Smith and crew.

So Aldana is #3, and #16 is Gene Romero? #3 and #1 below?

KansasBob screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 07:29 PM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #2854
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 330
1959 Pikes Peak Snow Run

Today I had a great conversation with my dad, a great trip down memory lane. He told me of the 1959 Pikes Peak Snow Run. He was in the Air Force in Colorado and was adventuring all over the Rockies on Triumphs and AJS's. The race was on New Years Day, it was 20 below and it was a push to 14,000' in the snow. Dad finished first in the 650-B class aboard a Triumph 650. He did not reach the summit due to ice building up on his carburetor and air cleaner. Frequent ice chipping with a screwdriver was required to keep going. Dad was a badass. A link to the March, 1959 American Motorcyclist covering the event:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Yfo...alatin&f=false

The rest of the issue is cool as well with coverage of the Big Bear enduro won by Bud Ekins. Dad eventually got out of the service and returned home to Scranton, PA to open a Triumph dealer. CZ's and Yamahas eventually replaced the Triumphs as dirt bikes. My brother (GastonGagne) and I were born into riding, starting at age 6. Dad didn't offer us a choice. I am grateful for everything he has given me that has made this particular thread meaningful and wonderful for me.
Thanks for reading
Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #2855
Max L
Duct Tape

Oddometer: 80
Alice's restaurant

The movie Alice's restaurant has a team of dirt bike riders, some say Bob Dylan is on one of the Triumph's. I wish I kept all my old rides. saw that old Arlo Guttherie movie his Dad plays his dad in the movie Woody... I have to see it again. Moto Sport 250 missed the most, friend had the Elsanor...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #2856
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Motosport 250s, you mean like these:

These are mine.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #2857
Max L
Duct Tape

Oddometer: 80
trial tires

Very nice 2 250s, how do you like those tires?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #2858
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

They are mostly urban bikes and because of that the Pirellis work real well, not particularly cheap tires though. I got these bikes, 1 with full knobs and the other still had the original tires on it. Knobs on the street are basically like permanently being on a washboard road with bad brakes, and the original tires on the other bike were pretty much tree bark wrapped around the rim.

The extent of the off road these bikes have done since they were redone is pretty much been limited to quasi paved roads and alleys so I can't comment much there. However as far as stickiness in the canyons the tires were like night and day, putting progressive springs with adjustable preload in the forks was another big improvement, fork brace another, and once I put the Works shocks on them the bikes really felt complete. It was amazing how much more attached the bikes felt. The tires were more than simply slapping new rubber on though, I went up to a 1.85 rim in front (from stock 1.6) and a 3.00 rim in the back (up from the original 2.15), The rims are NOS D.I.Ds with stainless spokes, rebuilt hubs and brakes. Rear tire is a tight fit, so no chain guard is possible and in fact the rim is offset about 1/4" toward the chain side to clear everything. It is a 140/80/18 rear and 90/90/21 in front.

I built the bikes for 90% pavement and the occasional fire road, so I got what I wanted in that sense. My test run while building the bikes is a 10 mile run, with about 150 turns, and lots of deteriorating pavement and I'd guess about 800-1000 ft elevation change. I'm building a new engine with a wider ratio gear box as the stock 250 gear box, once you step down the rear sprocket for decent top end, puts the trans gearing all too crowded at the top. There is a little slop still in the triples once the tapered bearings settled in that I need to fix and that so far is probably the only thing that is keeping it from dragging pegs in the turns.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #2859
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
In my opinion this was the last year of the true CZ World MX Championships. Here's the logo. For the history of dirt bikes.

Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #2860
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 44,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
They are mostly urban bikes and because of that the Pirellis work real well, not particularly cheap tires though. I got these bikes, 1 with full knobs and the other still had the original tires on it. Knobs on the street are basically like permanently being on a washboard road with bad brakes, and the original tires on the other bike were pretty much tree bark wrapped around the rim.

The extent of the off road these bikes have done since they were redone is pretty much been limited to quasi paved roads and alleys so I can't comment much there. However as far as stickiness in the canyons the tires were like night and day, putting progressive springs with adjustable preload in the forks was another big improvement, fork brace another, and once I put the Works shocks on them the bikes really felt complete. It was amazing how much more attached the bikes felt. The tires were more than simply slapping new rubber on though, I went up to a 1.85 rim in front (from stock 1.6) and a 3.00 rim in the back (up from the original 2.15), The rims are NOS D.I.Ds with stainless spokes, rebuilt hubs and brakes. Rear tire is a tight fit, so no chain guard is possible and in fact the rim is offset about 1/4" toward the chain side to clear everything. It is a 140/80/18 rear and 90/90/21 in front.

I built the bikes for 90% pavement and the occasional fire road, so I got what I wanted in that sense. My test run while building the bikes is a 10 mile run, with about 150 turns, and lots of deteriorating pavement and I'd guess about 800-1000 ft elevation change. I'm building a new engine with a wider ratio gear box as the stock 250 gear box, once you step down the rear sprocket for decent top end, puts the trans gearing all too crowded at the top. There is a little slop still in the triples once the tapered bearings settled in that I need to fix and that so far is probably the only thing that is keeping it from dragging pegs in the turns.
those were and are such good looking bikes. not having a dealer in town in the 70's we never gave honda the time of day, if it wasn't a kaw/suz/yamaha then it was a honda and as far as we were concerned geek bike. the 70's honda's never cease to amaze me as far as their lines and look. great bikes. I'd kill for a nice SL100...
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #2861
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

I was going though some of my stuff this weekend. Here is a CZ jersey logo that came from the factory in the late 60's early 70's.

It is for sale. It is a cotton jersey and still has mud on it from Carlsbad. It is the real deal. I may see if Tom White wants it for his museum.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #2862
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Found this photo, This is my buddy Rich. He just turned 70. This is from the legendary Deadmans Point here in Socal. Rocket Rex and a whole lot of the fast guys raced there. 1969 ish?

Here he is 40+ years later a month ago. Racing a Deltaco Alpina of all things. He ain't right. He just wanted to see the checkered flag one more time. He is a member of my club, Hilltoppers MC

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2863
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,071
did I post these already....Taking the '79 KLX250 out for some vintage MX mind this thing is by no means a MX bike and what a gutless pig but still fun

Lined up with some nice vintage iron

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #2864
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
those were and are such good looking bikes. not having a dealer in town in the 70's we never gave Honda the time of day, if it wasn't a kaw/suz/yamaha then it was a honda and as far as we were concerned geek bike. the 70's honda's never cease to amaze me as far as their lines and look. great bikes. I'd kill for a nice SL100...
Being a Honda 4 stroke rider in the swarm of yellow bees back then made you appreciate them even more. It was a tortoise and hare story for me. The YZs, TMs and RMs would mop up on me and my thumper around a track but across a corn field they had no chance when I hit fifth I'd just mope on past and bury them in that 4 stroke rooster tail that never ends. The interesting part of the story on my two bikes, as much as they look alike, is this:

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #2865
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Being a Honda 4 stroke rider in the swarm of yellow bees back then made you appreciate them even more. It was a tortoise and hare story for me. The YZs, TMs and RMs would mop up on me and my thumper around a track but across a corn field they had no chance when I hit fifth I'd just mope on past and bury them in that 4 stroke rooster tail that never ends. The interesting part of the story on my two bikes, as much as they look alike, is this:

Caught a pic of yourself in the tach. I really need to get busy on my TS185.

Been thinking about selling the Penton to possibly fund a Wee or a 955i Tiger.