User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
daveoneshot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
The Over 70 Club.....

..OK, who's over 70 ?? C'mon , be honest and tell everyone about your reaction times, your bad back, your eyes, your concentration abilities, balance, carpal tunnel pain, arthritis, and recent dental work. All the cool things we think about all day.....Me, I ain't too bad, but I do, at times, while riding the Airhead, think that I sure don't want to fall over any more. I have to shake those thoughts off before I start having fun. Any takers ??
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 219
Well I'm not over 70, in fact I don't turn 40 until June but at my last track day our paddock neighbor Terry was 70. He said he'd been riding for 56 years. He was faster than me out on track up until he crashed. Looked like he just blew the turn and crashed in the grass from the photos I saw. He got a ride in the ambulance.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
There's no fool, like an old fool. I should know.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,878
I hope to enter this club in 16 years!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,680
Just arrived in December. Biblical three score and ten.

Snow on the roof, fire still in furnace..........
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
One of my good riding buddies is 70. We ride on all day offroad rides with a lot of singletrack. If he drops his bike down the side of a mountain, he picks it up himself. He is one tough man. He is an inspiration.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Limey 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Just waiting for the snow to clear and I'll be back on the road again...meanwhile, the 250 Yamaha does just fine fooling around in the dirt / mud??....I still think I can , but in reality.....well it does take a little longer and if the bi-focals get out of whack and it starts raining and the daylight is beginning to fade....yes it does get a little difficult sometimes to navigate the jungle out there. A friend said I need a new bike with ABS linked brakes ...traction control...ESP...computerized fuel gauge etc..etc.....but after 50 plus years of riding motorcycles I don't quite think I am ready for all that junk..
Limey 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 387
Well, I will join the 60 yer old club in March and I can say I am really starting to ramp up my riding, touring and exploring. Doing a six week western state ride starting in June. I see no reason I will not be doing the same in ten years when I am at 70. Screw the aches and pains..............

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphish View Post
Well, I will join the 60 yer old club in March and I can say I am really starting to ramp up my riding, touring and exploring. Doing a six week western state ride starting in June. I see no reason I will not be doing the same in ten years when I am at 70. Screw the aches and pains..............

The aches and pains are what confirm we are alive.

I've about 20 years to go to get there.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Lep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Three Score and Ten

Just 4 weeks to go for me and for sure I'm aware of the passing of the years. I'm a skinny bloke and was never very strong so the loss of strength with passing time sometimes makes things a little difficult.

Just now I'm 8 weeks out from open chest surgery, I'm making a good recovery and am about ready to get back on the bike. Hot, humid weather here makes riding an unattractive proposition at present so I'm content to wait a little longer. No need to be all macho, I've nothing to prove.

Compensations for the passing years include being content with life and not feeling the need to compete with anyone for any reason.

I admit to being very aware of the approaching birthday but it will be only the second one I've ever thought much about. The first was my 50th. Prior to that I never gave my age a thought. The friends I ride with range from mid 50 to mid 70 and their riding abilities are not a function of their age.
Lep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Can't find it, but at White Rose Thunder last year there was an old gent out on the flat track on his old back from back in the glory days. He may well have been old enough to be in this club.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Can't find it, but at White Rose Thunder last year there was an old gent out on the flat track on his old back from back in the glory days. He may well have been old enough to be in this club.
A friend of mine road raced his hand shift Harleys in AHRMA until he was 85.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
baiku
Manaical Engineer

Oddometer: 1,292
Please send my membership card in 11 months.

Since the topic is older (allright, OLD) riders, does anyone know of US east coast dirtbike schools for beginners who aren't kids? Preferably way south of icy New Hampshire, like NC, SC, GA? Don't want to go fast, just want to explore old abandoned roads and tracks.

baiku screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 06:55 PM
baiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 104
Talking 14 years out, however...

Not there yet but working on it. Personally I'm 56 and still riding 3 different bikes, a KLR, 530 KTM and a 990 KTM. I also hope to be riding into my 70's. I think the two biggest things you can do to help the cause are to stay in reasonable shape and keep your expectations reasonable. I now ride for enjoyment, not pride or bravado. Just look at Malcolm Smith, just a few years ago (well past the legal age for Senior Citizen) he showed up at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb on a vintage air cooled 2 stroke Husqvarna and beat 95% of the entrants! My brother who is 66 just got back into the sport after being away for 40 years and is loving his KLR. There are a lot of older riders out there, don't feel alone. I can honestly say motorcycling has been one of the most consistent and joyful aspects of my life, for over 44 years now.
GoThere@50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Turned 65 last month and began riding again 2 years ago after being away from bikes for 30 years (wife,kids,house.etc.)
My son who I ride with says after about 1/2 hour of riding or so I start to ride like I've never stopped. My 67 year old cousin says "you're too old to ride a motorcycle". I said "well I made it to your house and it's 70 miles from my place"!

Yes I am a bit stiff and sore after my rides ,but that's what hot showers and Alieve are for.

My son and I are planning a 300 mile over night trip this spring on our trusty Suzuki TU250's
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote