User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #10066
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
dakar com

At the end of the day, the list of those who benefitted from this was even longer. Chief among them was Joan Barreda, who started in 21st place this morning and seized the opportunity offered to him on a platter by those in front of him. He may no longer be within striking distance of the overall win he aimed for, but the Husqvarna rider took his third stage this year with seven minutes to spare on American Johnny Campbell, followed by surprise guests such as Ivan Jakes (third), Pedro Bianchi Prata (fourth) and Vincent Guindani (fifth). Behind them, David Casteu managed to limit the damage enough to take over from teammate Olivier Pain at the top of the general classification. Cyril Despres will also be happy to reverse the negative trend after his terrible day at the office yesterday. The defending champion was saved by Pole Marek Dabrowski's willingness to give him his KTM's engine at the assistance-less bivouac in Cachi, enabling him to tackle today's special with a born-again motorcycle, avoid navigational mistakes and zero in on the second place overall in Tucumán, 9′26″ down on Casteu. Nevertheless, his engine change will cost him a 15-minute penalty and push him down to sixth place overall ahead of the second week of racing, when each rider's strategic decision to change his engine or not will take on a new dimension.

In the car category, the weather conditions made things more difficult, with torrential rains slowing the vehicles down a bit. Well, that's an understatement! The race was stopped at CP2, 88 km into the stage, as a riverbed on the course of the special suddenly swelled with water. At the time, Nasser Al-Attiyah was the fastest, 13″ ahead of Gordon but, most importantly, almost 3 minutes ahead of Stéphane Peterhansel… putting him within striking distance of the top place in the overall. In the meanwhile, more than fifty cars had gone past this point, inching towards the finish line with mixed success. It was here that the Qatari driver got stuck and saw several of his rivals disappear into the distance. Guerlain Chicherit was both the first and the fastest driver across the finish line. But the SMG driver, who's still chasing his first win this year, may yet see the stage slip from his grasp, as the race officials still haven't decided which times will be taken into account!
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #10067
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,831
Does this mean we go with F5 Bandanas instead of Flatbills.

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #10068
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
What the hells going on here. I see an awesome moto in the pic. What are you guys look'n at???

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #10069
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Moment of the day, SS8

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #10070
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Moment of the day, SS8

VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #10071
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Does this mean we go with F5 Bandanas instead of Flatbills.
Neither one, PLEASE!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #10072
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Neither one, PLEASE!
I second that!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #10073
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogoi View Post
what the hells going on here. I see an awesome moto in the pic. What are you guys look'n at???
=D

(message too short bla bla)
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #10074
Lupine128
That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer: 937
Love him or hate him you have to respect CdP for digging in doing the job that needs doing.
In his socks, swapping out an engine in a campsite, all to ride a hard stage next day after having ridden a hard stage that day. There aren't too many of us who would or could do that ourselves.

More and more though I'm seeing a mentality at play in dakar that would be more at home in the Tour de France or other professional cycling event. The idea that 3 or 4 riders are only there to hoist a single celebrity to the top. As cool as it is to see everyone on the team I mucking in to get Cyril to the front it also removes to spirit to a certain extent.
I know how hard Dakar is, how hard it's supposed to be, but the inequality between even bike 1 and bike 21, let alone 1 and 141, is insurmountable.
As others have said during this epic F5irehosing, it's becoming a series of sprint stages for the front runners who then get to relax in the motorhome and have a massage. That doesn't in anyway take away from their achievements, but it does make it seem less significant when compared to the guys at the back.
The events we really remember and savor are Toby on his dune, shoestring manny chasing a single mousse, some nutcase trying to ride across the dunes on a bultaco. These are the Dakar to us and the aliens at the front are almost a sideshow.
Anyway it's early, the child is throwing toast at her mum, and I haven't been able to contribute this year so I'm going back into lurker/survival mode to try and keep up.
Watch the bottom of the ladder and enjoy the real spirit of this event.

Dropped from full Team F5 sponsorship due to family commitments.
Stupid family.
Lupine128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #10075
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Spanish spining

A few years ago, when the Dakar was held in Africa, the Spanish complained about the preferential treatment given to the French pilots. In those days there were no GPS waypoints, and not be sealed in a custom stage controls. Then the Spanish complained that commissioners when they saw a Spanish car coming were placed where the sand was softer, so they delayed them a bit ...
All this stuff comes to mind, for the French, or rather the organization, keeps getting in the soft sand to seal the cards and we have proof what happened in yesterday's stage with Cyril Despres and already famous engine change.
Because if not, it is difficult to understand how the ASO not penalized, acting ex officio, the KTM rider when clearly broke regulations.
This is what it sounds official rules and there is very little room for interpretation, and is available to all who want to check on the website of the organization.
The legend of the seal carde can be more or less true, but unfortunately it is true that every year we are spectators of something. Last year it was returned to Despres precious time for a claim that the road book was wrong. Has not accepted could not have won his fourth Dakar. This year Sainz accepted the claim and the next day backed off. Hopefully the same will happen tomorrow and ASO announce Despres exclusion, according to the regulations that is what should happen.
ART. 7 DIAL
GENERAL 7P1
1) In all categories: box, engine and spare engines.
Machine and Pilot are associated with a number of career and are identified with a marking at scrutineering. These three elements are inseparable for the duration of the Competition.
Considered boxes all around welded parts that support the motor and the steering column and the rear suspension anchorage. The frame and the crankcase, and scored during start checks, or other parts, may receive specific markings at all times.
To my knowledge, engines spares are marked from the start of the race and I know the motor Polish KTM rider belongs to the Polish driver and not to replace Cyril Despres therefore can not ride your bike .
The bad luck would have happened to him in the stage where mechanical assistance is prohibited. At any other time would have had no problems but ... The Dakar is what it is or at least it should.
Another issue is why brands such as Husqvarna, Honda or Yamaha you are betting big on the Dakar, not file claims fledged when sadly it has been shown that sometimes races are won ..... in offices.
The Spanish have been since the start of this competition traditionally the second highest number of registered and respect, recognition and fair play, it is high time that you put in the hard part of the sand.

8340SU screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 04:12 PM
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #10076
yardracer
stubborn cow

From Laia's FB page

"You can imagine how glad I am?? I would never have imagined making a 13th place in the Dakar and i think it does a lot to get it back;) I hope you don't annul the stage and the result comptabilitzi ... I'm pretty good physically and coconut to the stage of rest and the bike is very reliable, so I can't ask for more. I just want to say GRÀAAACIES for your posts!!! Health!! "
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #10077
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Kurt looks happy.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #10078
yardracer
stubborn cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine128 View Post
Love him or hate him you have to respect CdP for digging in doing the job that needs doing.
In his socks, swapping out an engine in a campsite, all to ride a hard stage next day after having ridden a hard stage that day. There aren't too many of us who would or could do that ourselves.

More and more though I'm seeing a mentality at play in dakar that would be more at home in the Tour de France or other professional cycling event. The idea that 3 or 4 riders are only there to hoist a single celebrity to the top. As cool as it is to see everyone on the team I mucking in to get Cyril to the front it also removes to spirit to a certain extent.
I know how hard Dakar is, how hard it's supposed to be, but the inequality between even bike 1 and bike 21, let alone 1 and 141, is insurmountable.
As others have said during this epic F5irehosing, it's becoming a series of sprint stages for the front runners who then get to relax in the motorhome and have a massage. That doesn't in anyway take away from their achievements, but it does make it seem less significant when compared to the guys at the back.
The events we really remember and savor are Toby on his dune, shoestring manny chasing a single mousse, some nutcase trying to ride across the dunes on a bultaco. These are the Dakar to us and the aliens at the front are almost a sideshow.
Anyway it's early, the child is throwing toast at her mum, and I haven't been able to contribute this year so I'm going back into lurker/survival mode to try and keep up.
Perfectly said.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #10079
cvlighthouse
keep it in your pants!

Oddometer: 824
Today's stage in Russian?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u39gwY3iwVA
....look for a blue Samurai with a crazy gringo holding a big #167 sign! *No animals were harmed during the making of this post...
cvlighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #10080
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine128 View Post