User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #121
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quit or Change

This question is often thought about I am sure and When I decided to ponder my own future with Motorcycles I noticed I have Changed not quit. I have had a bike since I was 14 yrs old and I'm now 57. I have had about every bike, Road ,dirt ,ect. Harleys, Goldwings, Bmws ( yes all my retirement money was spent on bikes). I now ride often but they are short trips and errends. 100 miles is a big day. I now own a scooter that does eveything I need it to do. A honda Helix that goes and goes and I'm both comfortable and confident with it. No worrries of slow u-turn,gravel on corners and it's not $20K worth of machine sitting around to much. All my big road bikes were becomming to heavy and expensive and wasn't riding them like they were ment to be ridden. One bike/scooter I just bought is a Trike...a Big Scooter 650 Burgman trike...Going to see if I have desire to go farther with it than just around the neighborhood. Just bought it and Need to wait for June for weather and time to ride. So I am not afraid to ride..but have evolved to a close to home rider...and a low cost easy to handle bike/scooter/trike This Trike is more fun than you would think!!!!!!!!!!
Hap
Retired USAF

hapbob screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 04:21 AM
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #122
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,864
Hopefully I won't be calling it quits until they're reading me my "last rites".
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #123
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
This question is often thought about I am sure and When I decided to ponder my own future with Motorcycles I noticed I have Changed not quit. I have had a bike since I was 14 yrs old and I'm now 57. I have had about every bike, Road ,dirt ,ect. Harleys, Goldwings, Bmws ( yes all my retirement money was spent on bikes). I now ride often but they are short trips and errends. 100 miles is a big day. I now own a scooter that does eveything I need it to do. A honda Helix that goes and goes and I'm both comfortable and confident with it. No worrries of slow u-turn,gravel on corners and it's not $20K worth of machine sitting around to much. All my big road bikes were becomming to heavy and expensive and wasn't riding them like they were ment to be ridden. One bike/scooter I just bought is a Trike...a Big Scooter 650 Burgman trike...Going to see if I have desire to go farther with it than just around the neighborhood. Just bought it and Need to wait for June for weather and time to ride. So I am not afraid to ride..but have evolved to a close to home rider...and a low cost easy to handle bike/scooter/trike This Trike is more fun than you would think!!!!!!!!!!
Nice little rig. Please remember that this will handle very, very differently than any of the bikes you have owned. You'll have to unlearn the counter steer theory as you take this on the high speed curves. Since this isn't a built from ground up trike the handling characteristics could get scary if you aren't familiar with trikes/sidecars and enter a corner too hot. Read up on how to ride a trike/sidecar, practice evasive turning, learn to move your butt and body weight to the inside of curves.

Be careful, practice (sounds like you are), and have fun.... glad you are still riding.

I've had 3 sidecar rigs and will probably go back to one when the hair is completely grey or gone! LOL!!

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #124
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Something I don't get about these configured trikes. ATV's were once like this configuration but now are outlawed as such because, as I understand it, they were incredibly unstable with the two rear and one front wheel.

So (I think) it's CanAM has a two front wheel and one rear trike which appears to me to be a good deal more stable. Anyway, why are these safe and the ATV's weren't?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #125
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

I think the big issue with the old 3 wheel ATV's where the injuries to kids. Another is they were also being ridden on terrain that bounced them around. Add that to the geometry of three wheels and the rider's inexperience and that adds to accidents.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #126
slide
A nation in despair

After posting, I also wondered if there was some issue in the ratio of wheelbase to track.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #127
tire joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
It would be time to quit, when its not fun!
tire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #128
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,169
Hapbob

That does look like a fun setup. I was talking to someone the other day who has a scooter and uses it for errands around town and the occasional fun ride - really likes it. If I weren't doing longer distance rides and just wanted something for around town I think a scooter is a great solution.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #129
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by tire joe View Post
it would be time to quit, when its not fun!
+1
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #130
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire joe View Post
It would be time to quit, when its not fun!
Spot on. If you're not enjoying the riding, be it on two or three wheels, it's time to park. Whether it's pain, shaken confidence, safety concerns, whatever.... if it isn't enjoyable it shouldn't be done.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #131
bimotakid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Calling it quits....

Originally Posted by hapbob

Funny reading this... Man and his circumstances. You never really quit riding motorcycles. I have followed the sport for 30 years. Over that period of time, I have departed from riding for similar reasons and returned to the sport . Good to see you are still enjoying the riding, especially in the the summer months. The big bikes in the garage require more time to ride. 1500 mile trips is when the big bike shines. The scooter is a blast however, as others on this forum have well pointed out, there is no true substitute. The cars are the problem. The folks out there driving don't see a motorcycle on the road. Although riding in the neighborhood seems safe and friendly, I opted to ride single track/off road. Unless a mountain lion gets me, all should be OK...
I am delighted to find yet another way of riding a two wheeled machine.

All the best

bimotakid screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 01:24 PM Reason: fix
bimotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #132
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
I had a new tiger 800 last August and was heading out for a weekend ride with a few mates in early Nov (late spring here) . I had been really looking forward to getting away on a nice cruisy ride with the boys. As we got going things just didn't seem right but I was thinking it was just lives stresses finally working their way out of my system.

About an hour into the ride, we're cruising a nice gravel back road. Im thinking 'how good is this?' Next thing 'BANG' I hit the deck going about 50-60kmh. Swerved to dodge a cow and not sure after that. Bike was a mess and i ended up with a severely smashed elbow.

A couple days later the bike went off to be repaired and so did I. The thought process was that if they write the bike off, im done riding. If they fix it i HAVE to get back on it. Just like the horse.

Well the bike got repaired. $9500 damage. Im slowly on the mend but still don't know if I'll be able to ride as i have limited use of my are but im still working on that. I plan on doing a ride in may to farewell a guy who has been an inspiration to many. That is my plan and i hope to stick to it. I'll reevaluate after that.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #133
slide
A nation in despair

Yikes! $9,500 to fix an 800. I'm surprised that was economically sound.

Hope your elbow heals up fully. Sounds like a truly nasty get off.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #134
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Yikes! $9,500 to fix an 800. I'm surprised that was economically sound.

Hope your elbow heals up fully. Sounds like a truly nasty get off.

I think it was close to being written off. The fact that it was only 2 months old probably helped. 9.5k to fix or 15k to replace was their options.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #135
slide
A nation in despair

Are you satisfied that the bike's been put to right? One of the reasons for writing off is that it's difficult to make as new again or close.