Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #346
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Looks like Grabbos still sitting in third close to the end of the stage, is that right ?
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #347
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Err no 3rd place for Grabb'o, more like 38th. It seems the French have started playing their board game moves again to keep Cyril in the mix. What happened to his 15 min penalty for an engine change?

16:45

Red flag...

As a meteorological Armageddon falls upon the last thirty kilometres of today's special, the race direction has decided to stop the competition and neutralise competitors at CP2, 86 km into the stage (formerly 374 km, but the course was changed this morning).

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #348
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Yeah, he went through WP9 (adjusted) in 3rd, but ended up 34th on stage. The last section was a killer with torrential rain.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #349
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Stage neutralised ("red flagged") after CP2 for cars only (? and trucks). Bike results should stand, although it looks like a lot of the field will gain a nominal time if they were stuck in mud. Definitely looks like Grabbo slid into WP9 in 3rd spot on the stage, though.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #350
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Dan View Post
Stage neutralised ("red flagged") after CP2 for cars only (? and trucks). Bike results should stand, although it looks like a lot of the field will gain a nominal time if they were stuck in mud. Definitely looks like Grabbo slid into WP9 in 3rd spot on the stage, though.

Outright at the moment
Faggoter 16
Grabbo 21
Strange 34
Smith 48
Pavey 67
Fish 124
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #351
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,223
So fish is still at the back because of his 9 hr penalty .. ??
He has done an amazing job with all the challenges presented to him .
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #352
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
. It seems the French have started playing their board game moves again to keep Cyril in the mix. What happened to his 15 min penalty for an engine change?

discussion now is not so much the 15min...but whether the change can happen with a competitors engine at all...

my read of the rules is no it can't... will be interesting.
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #353
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post

Discussion now is not so much the 15min ...

But whether the change can happen with a competitors engine at all ...

My read of the rules is no it can't ...

Will be interesting.
Could you explain that again for dumb bastards ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #354
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Could you explain that again for dumb bastards ... ?
Depres swaped an engine during the stage with another competitor, the rules seem to say you can only change your engine with the ones that were presented at scruitineering and marked . But the French have a different interpretation of the rules for the French.

As far as Grabb'o slipping from 3rd, the main group were following the leader 50k's from the finish and got led up the wrong path, they all lost about 1/2 an hour.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #355
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Definately not a typical yank - just about all ive ever met are great guys and girls. Personally I just prefer it when people get on with the job and let the results speak for themselves... As for his comments you have to take them with the frustration he would be feeling after the amount of effort he would have put into getting there, not to mention the serious amount of interest he generates.
I think many of the competitors have moments where they rant and rave, it's just that Gordon is more in the spotlight because he is further up the pointy end of the field but not in real contention & because his ravings make good tv, There was one scene in this years coverage where he was playing with some kids with his remote controll hummer which makes me suspect that he is probably a nice enough bloke.
I recon a lot of his frustration is to do with his car which seems to have reliability issues every year.
Of course all of that is purely speculation and is probably all wrong. He could be a total a-hole for all i know
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #356
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
I think many of the competitors have moments where they rant and rave, it's just that Gordon is more in the spotlight because he is further up the pointy end of the field but not in real contention & because his ravings make good tv, There was one scene in this years coverage where he was playing with some kids with his remote controll hummer which makes me suspect that he is probably a nice enough bloke.
I recon a lot of his frustration is to do with his car which seems to have reliability issues every year.
Of course all of that is purely speculation and is probably all wrong. He could be a total a-hole for all i know
From my experience he's a good dude. Gave me an interview in the bivouac at 11pm after a shitty day. Said hi regularly in the biv for the rest of the rally. Hung out with a bunch of the aussies a lot this year too. Is a good guy, but takes racing personally - that is a good thing.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #357
Lupine128
That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer: 976
I met him once, years ago. Had no idea who he was when we were introduced by a mutual friend who was a world class downhill MTB rider. Robby was stoked to meet a downhiller because he thought that was the gnarliest thing in the world and was like a cross between a kid and an engineer asking us about suspension and handling. Kept saying how cool it looked and how dangerous he thought it was.
Then conversation turned to what he did for a crust...
Genuinely nice guy who is truly passionate about his racing. He has a really evil sense of humor and absolutely won't take shit from anyone.
I likes him.

Dropped from full Team F5 sponsorship due to family commitments.
Stupid family.
Lupine128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #358
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
From my experience he's a good dude. Gave me an interview in the bivouac at 11pm after a shitty day. Said hi regularly in the biv for the rest of the rally. Hung out with a bunch of the aussies a lot this year too. Is a good guy, but takes racing personally - that is a good thing.
You been there - I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine128 View Post
I met him once, years ago. Had no idea who he was when we were introduced by a mutual friend who was a world class downhill MTB rider. Robby was stoked to meet a downhiller because he thought that was the gnarliest thing in the world and was like a cross between a kid and an engineer asking us about suspension and handling. Kept saying how cool it looked and how dangerous he thought it was.
Then conversation turned to what he did for a crust...
Genuinely nice guy who is truly passionate about his racing. He has a really evil sense of humor and absolutely won't take shit from anyone.
I likes him.
Great - I'll recant my previous suspicions then.
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #359
Lupine128
That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer: 976
Having said that, I have NO doubts that he'd be a complete prick to work for during an event. Awesome before, grateful after, asshole during.
A few of the riders I've wrenched MTBs for over the years have been exactly the same. Once it's game on, get the hell out of the way and let them run.

Dropped from full Team F5 sponsorship due to family commitments.
Stupid family.
Lupine128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #360
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,954
competitors can assist other competitors anywhere in stage, in liaison or in a marathon bivy

they can also swap compnents eg typically wheels, but engines is also ok

the spare engines are not marked untill installed and Scrutineers notified, the spare engines can come from your assistance truck, another competitor or the moon, just so long as they get checked and marked before the next stage, or in this case during the rest day

Also Fishy's motor came from a T4 race truck (not a T5 Assistance truck which is not legal in stage) that provides in stage support where needed, this is also fully legal, lots of the car and top moto teams do this