Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #15391
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Can't tell you how many times I've almost pulled the trigger on a Ural Patrol. They just take
up so much garage space and I'm afraid the novelty would wear off quickly. Though side
car set ups are soooooooo fun.
You could just get a Super Ural..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #15392
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,748
Laugh Ural-alicious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Hey Dallara,

The Ural probably gets around quicker than all those golf carts running around in that small coastal town close by. :) And much more fun too. Cheaper even.

Pluric,

I really rarely have a drink. None of those bottles are less than 8 years old and most of the consumption is by guests. But if I lived where you get snowed in, I suspect the shelf life would shrink dramatically. I just couldn't take it. (Unless snowmobiles were street legal and could be used for road travel. That would change everything)

Ah, you're talking about Port A. there, Snake...

And yes, the golf carts there are a bit slow, but that's because they're mandated to be there. The city ordinance says no more than 25 MPH. That's one reason that UTV's like Mule's, Rhino's, etc. are expressly forbidden. Our local Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer has worked and worked over the year to try and get the town council over there to let UTV's in, even with governors to limit their speed, but to no avail... So if you want to use something like that over there it's got to be a Club Car or the like.

But actually, Port A. isn't where Vickie and I have our target set... We're looking at Rockport, and over on the backside along Copano Bay. Rockport just has a much better infrastructure, like grocery stores, pharmacies, auto parts stores, clinics, etc. Better in the event of a hurricane, too!

As for the booze... Years past I drank - a lot. Whisky and whiskey... Beer, wine, you name it. It's just what we did around here, and it didn't help when I worked in the liquor business. The part I was involved in drinking was simply just part of it. It was almost expected, so I did... A lot.

These days it'll take me a year to go through a nice bottle of single malt, and that's if I share it with buddies. We have a glass of wine now and then with dinner, but I can't even remember the last time I had a beer. I do have to admit a small group of us polished off two wonderful vintage bottles of Veuve Clicquot (http://www.veuve-clicquot.com/) back in November at Rio Bravo when we wrapped and won our AHRMA National MX Championship!!!

For an occasion like that we just had to!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #15393
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

The frog lights would have to go.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #15394
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Lived here 51 years and never been sking. They claim it's the "Greatest snow on earth".
I'll take their word for it. There's no way the knees would allow it now. I just get to move
snow from point A to point B.

Caribbean cruise next week. That should finish up any New Years weight loss plans I had.
It will be worth it to get out of the deep freeze.

Now back to whatever the topic was. I don't drink, but between Snakebitten's photos and
all this snow...talk to me.

Can't tell you how many times I've almost pulled the trigger on a Ural Patrol. They just take
up so much garage space and I'm afraid the novelty would wear off quickly. Though side
car set ups are soooooooo fun.

Wreckchecker wears a panda hat as chick repellant.(seems to work) I do cause it was cold.

May only have to shovel once today! Storm seems to finally run it's course. Yeah!
Well Pluric, if you like corner blastin on motorcycles, you'd love skiing. Make your own curves whenever you want'm,sharp or roundhouse as you want'em too. Skiing always makes me think of hammerin curves on a good sport bike. Give it a try,you ain't dead yet. Utah does have great snow,I live near the "best snow in Idaho" tho. Can't tour backroads in winter on the Tenere so I tour backwoods on skis. Lottsa fun.
have fun on yer Caribbean cruise. I was in Jamaica once, pot smoke so think yer high all the time. Loved the people tho.
That sidecar hack I had was a blast. Had aggressive tires & tough suspension on it. Rode some trails around here with it but you don't go far before trail narrows & yer done. Can be a challenge turning one around up there. Lottsa fun. "Adventure Hacking". Love to try that 2 wheel Ural out.
Those Ural jokes are hooot. Hee hee.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #15395
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Rockport.

Pass through there 25+ times a year. Usually stop at the Speedi-Stop, technically in Fulton, for gas, pee break, and to hydrate. (Clean restrooms and friendly staff. kinda like a Buckees)

Then cut over to the "Big 35" and bypass Rockport on our way to Kingsville.

Will say this about Rockport though. Nice place. Far the reasons you state and more. But we actually consider it to be a place to raise your awareness to hyper-vigilance on a bike. Just seems like the cars n trucks are another level up on aggressive driving. Even had a local rider on a Harley confirm our perception once when we complained about a couple of near misses within just a couple of minutes. He laughed and said "yea, we run over somebody around here about once a week"

Could be hog wash. But was believable at the time.

Never found a great place to eat yet. But thats not a problem with the ferry not to far away from some fine choices. But you know that better than me! :)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #15396
Gareengodiablo
Skull Grinder

Oddometer: 9
windscreen blues

I'm 6'3" and am getting buffeted beyond recognition by both the stock screen and then by a 26" parabellum that I shelled out good money for (ouch!). I'm still trying to find a solution before I scrap the screen entirely, but it'd nice to have something to keep the arctic breeze at bay. I am considering getting a bracket (wasp, madstadt) to see if I can make either work better. Even though the parabellum is correctly sized for me, it just seems too damn big... Any taller riders with any thoughts on other screens or bracket solutions ? I saw a cool looking smoked puig mid-size screen but am not finding it in the US...what do people think on wasp vs. madstadt?

Thanks in advance--Russell
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #15397
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Man,that's disorienting.My hack was on the other side of the bike. Funny how much difference that makes,at least watching this video. Back when I got my hack, I was interested in putting it on a KLR for back roads & rough stuff but I was told the suspension travel was too much on that bike for sidecaring. Put the hack on a Honda Nighthawk & it did well.
One of the 1st times I rode it I had my bird dog in the hack. We went around a right corner too hot & the hack lifted maybe 2 feet off the road. I looked at my dog,she looked at me,we both went, "WTF"? A RARE moment of great sense hit me & I feathered the rear brake & all was well. Riding hacks IS different,can be dangerous. There's some books out it.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #15398
Coastalcop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareengodiablo View Post
I'm 6'3" and am getting buffeted beyond recognition by both the stock screen and then by a 26" parabellum that I shelled out good money for (ouch!). I'm still trying to find a solution before I scrap the screen entirely, but it'd nice to have something to keep the arctic breeze at bay. I am considering getting a bracket (wasp, madstadt) to see if I can make either work better. Even though the parabellum is correctly sized for me, it just seems too damn big... Any taller riders with any thoughts on other screens or bracket solutions ? I saw a cool looking smoked puig mid-size screen but am not finding it in the US...what do people think on wasp vs. madstadt?

I'm 6'3 200 and loooong torsoed (my inseam is32-33. My sleeve is 36-37). One inch bar risers seat in low position and the tall v stream windshield do great for me. Ymmv

Dallara yep in scooter season it's bad in Rockport. Worse I. Snowbird season. Just be careful is all

Never confuse getting lucky with good tactics.... unless you are at the bar
Coastalcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #15399
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,748
Thumb Rockport...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Rockport.

Pass through there 25+ times a year. Usually stop at the Speedi-Stop, technically in Fulton, for gas, pee break, and to hydrate. (Clean restrooms and friendly staff. kinda like a Buckees)

Then cut over to the "Big 35" and bypass Rockport on our way to Kingsville.

Will say this about Rockport though. Nice place. Far the reasons you state and more. But we actually consider it to be a place to raise your awareness to hyper-vigilance on a bike. Just seems like the cars n trucks are another level up on aggressive driving. Even had a local rider on a Harley confirm our perception once when we complained about a couple of near misses within just a couple of minutes. He laughed and said "yea, we run over somebody around here about once a week"

Could be hog wash. But was believable at the time.

Never found a great place to eat yet. But thats not a problem with the ferry not to far away from some fine choices. But you know that better than me! :)

Funny, because I honestly think folks drive a hell of a lot better in Rockport than they do here in Corpus!!!

Honestly, living mostly down here in the area since the late 1950's I've spent tons of time all around the Coastal Bend area and IMHO the folks in Rockport drive the best of all the towns and burgs in the area. I will say that the intersection you're talking about - where you turn off to cut over to the 35-Bypass - is stupid dangerous. Nobody ever seems to be paying attention around that traffic signal, and that gas station you mention gets so much activity that it causes half the problem. The rest of town is actually kind of a joy to drive through, and around in. You owe it to yourself to give it a cruise through the "old" way to Aransas Pass (you can pick up the 35-Bypass there) and on through to Portland, C.C., and to 77. Even better is to cut off to the left just after Copano Bay Causeway and do Fulton Beach Road. Nice, little scenic drive right along the water, and it shows some of the coolest aspects of the area.

Another way I think you'd like to try is taking a right *IMMEDIATELY* after you come off the Causeway onto FM-1781. It's a cool little road, with some fun twisty bits, and it skirts along right along the edge of Copano Bay... What we call the "backside route"... And it runs right into the 35-Bypass, where you just hook a right and head on the way you normally go. It's along this FM-1781 back behind the airport where we are looking to build or buy a house.

Restaurants are a bit of an enigma in Rockport. There should be more really good ones there, especially considering how many good ones much smaller Port A. has... There are still a couple of pretty decent ones, like "Glow" and "Mermaids" (which has a pretty cool humidor room and a nice selection of cigars along with terrific steaks and burgers). "Hemingways" used to be spectacular, but has fallen off a bit the past couple of years. It's pricey, too. The "Chart Room" is pretty good in Key Allegro, and there are some other good ones, too, along with some really eclectic and cool joints down on Fulton Beach Road. Just stay away from the supposedly *famous* "Charlotte Plummer's"... It should be called infamous, as it has never been better than low-grade dog food. Truly hideous.

Anyway, next time you're gonna' be going through there ping me and I'll see if I can meet up with you over there and give ya' as long or as short a tour as you'd like.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #15400
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
super tenere otterbox tool box

thought I would share this projector I am working on. Got an otterbox 3500 case from amazon for $26 and made a bracket for it. The nylon strap is just for the pictures. I am going to use a nylon strap that has a clamp or D-ring on the end of it. It clears the rear tire by about 2/3 of an inch. The case is nice. It is waterproof and comes with a thin layer of foam lining on the inside.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1133986...eat=directlink

Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #15401
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,011
Pretty neat, are the contents accessible with it on the bike?
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #15402
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:

Maybe try cranking down the fork preload a bit and/or raising the forks all the way up (flush with) the triple clamps...might help with the angle of wind deflection. I wasnt having issues, but cranking it down to 3.5 helped with the wind blast. Also, if you are wearing a helmet with a visor, that can make it seem much worse.

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #15403
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Can anyone speak to the passenger accommodations on the s10 vs the strom?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #15404
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Can anyone speak to the passenger accommodations on the s10 vs the strom?
My passenger disiked the Strom. She loves the Tenere. She says she has more room and it is easier to get on and off. YMMV.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #15405
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,989
Quote:

Here are some photos I took with the V Stream tall touring screen compared to the
stock and OEM touring screens. Yes it's tall and yes the buffeting is gone!
Took me a while to get used to the height. I've used it off road too and it didn't
shake around like I thought it might.

Post #14028

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...grips&page=936
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote