Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #2986
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,377
I've been looking for a home for my original 44/30 combo since I replaced em on the big KTM with 60's...

Just placed the order for another 44 and a few bits and pieces....for my tractor! With the other 44 I will be SET.

Tractor gets here Saturday, the snow moving lights will be the first thing to go on.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #2987
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
I've been looking for a home for my original 44/30 combo since I replaced em on the big KTM with 60's...

Just placed the order for another 44 and a few bits and pieces....for my tractor! With the other 44 I will be SET.

Tractor gets here Saturday, the snow moving lights will be the first thing to go on.

Steve
If you still have that model 30 layin around I'd take it off your hands. I need to add a little more lighting oomph to my DR350.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #2988
Russentreiber
Free-Biker

Oddometer: 15
Wicked Need these un my URAL RANGER :)

Hi everybody ! :)

I found the thread about these Led lights while I was looking for the best way to upgrade my Ural Ranger (it's a Sidecar Rig) and eventually my Yamaha Virago.
From what I read and see it's a pretty impressive kit and fairly priced.
I need to start with the Ural as this is what I use most right now.
What type of lights would you suggest considering that I will begin with placing them on the sidecar nose and the main use for those lights will be on road (maybe adding more after I receive and install the russian windshield ).
I consider the installation both for daytime visibility improvement to other vehicles and night driving. The stock light is pretty poor and I need more uniform illumination of the road.

Thanks
Russentreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #2989
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
If you still have that model 30 layin around I'd take it off your hands. I need to add a little more lighting oomph to my DR350.
Thanks for that; it's going on the tractor too though. Funny thing about tractors, you gotta have lights on the back, too...

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #2990
subagon
Hopelessly lost

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Thanks for that; it's going on the tractor too though. Funny thing about tractors, you gotta have lights on the back, too...

S

I wish you'd quit referring to my beloved BMWs as "tractors"
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #2991
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russentreiber View Post
Hi everybody ! :)

I found the thread about these Led lights while I was looking for the best way to upgrade my Ural Ranger (it's a Sidecar Rig) and eventually my Yamaha Virago.
From what I read and see it's a pretty impressive kit and fairly priced.
I need to start with the Ural as this is what I use most right now.
What type of lights would you suggest considering that I will begin with placing them on the sidecar nose and the main use for those lights will be on road (maybe adding more after I receive and install the russian windshield ).
I consider the installation both for daytime visibility improvement to other vehicles and night driving. The stock light is pretty poor and I need more uniform illumination of the road.

Thanks
First thing to think about is available wattage on your charging system. If its low like mine (200w at high rpm), then its a balancing act.

If that's not a worry (and new lights were not about to be released), I would go with (1) Model 60 flood, (2) Model 30 spots and a dimmer module.
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #2992
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Speaking of new lights! Any more details?????
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #2993
Russentreiber
Free-Biker

Question

Thanks for the input !
There SHOULD BE 500W available from the alternator (source: http://www.uralmoto.ru/downloads/Ura...de-by-side.pdf )

I thought about 2 x model 60 on nose of Hack and maybe 1 x model 30 on bike-front-fender...
basically I inverted your suggestion... makes me think and ask you why you suggest other way around ?

Mmmmm... NEW lights? I'm still plowing through the thread but I guess I missed that one What's coming up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
First thing to think about is available wattage on your charging system. If its low like mine (200w at high rpm), then its a balancing act.

If that's not a worry (and new lights were not about to be released), I would go with (1) Model 60 flood, (2) Model 30 spots and a dimmer module.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #2994
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russentreiber View Post
Thanks for the input !
There SHOULD BE 500W available from the alternator (source: http://www.uralmoto.ru/downloads/Ura...de-by-side.pdf )

I thought about 2 x model 60 on nose of Hack and maybe 1 x model 30 on bike-front-fender...
basically I inverted your suggestion... makes me think and ask you why you suggest other way around ?

Mmmmm... NEW lights? I'm still plowing through the thread but I guess I missed that one What's coming up?
Thats plenty of power for added lights and such! I currently am running the Model 60 flood and the no longer available 450lumen spot. But I draw from alot of experience with offroad lights. Its the pattern that you want to be thinking about. The Model 60 Flood throws a ton of light in a wide pattern (160*???) and is most beneficial in the short to medium ranges. My guess would be running 2 floods, you won't get 2x the amount of usable light in those ranges. 1 does a very good job. A spot type light is by nature narrow and used for your longer distances. At those longer distances, you can give a bit more spread so that the pattern starts looking more like a figure 8 on its side.

Best way to judge for yourself, buy 1 of each now. Then assess where your week spot for your needs are and order the missing light, or not, if you are happy with just the 2!

I'm a it of a miser, for 2 reasons, very little available electrical power and very little available monetary power! With 1 light, you will be very happy, with each light you add from there, your money output goes up but your usable light doesn't necessarily go up on an equal scale.

This is only my opinion. Maybe Sanjoh or others with more than 2 lights will chime in.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2995
Russentreiber
Free-Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Thats plenty of power for added lights and such! I currently am running the Model 60 flood and the no longer available 450lumen spot. But I draw from alot of experience with offroad lights. Its the pattern that you want to be thinking about. The Model 60 Flood throws a ton of light in a wide pattern (160*???) and is most beneficial in the short to medium ranges. My guess would be running 2 floods, you won't get 2x the amount of usable light in those ranges. 1 does a very good job. A spot type light is by nature narrow and used for your longer distances. At those longer distances, you can give a bit more spread so that the pattern starts looking more like a figure 8 on its side.

Best way to judge for yourself, buy 1 of each now. Then assess where your week spot for your needs are and order the missing light, or not, if you are happy with just the 2!

I'm a it of a miser, for 2 reasons, very little available electrical power and very little available monetary power! With 1 light, you will be very happy, with each light you add from there, your money output goes up but your usable light doesn't necessarily go up on an equal scale.

This is only my opinion. Maybe Sanjoh or others with more than 2 lights will chime in.
Good point, Low594 make me think...
At this point I'd really like somebody with a multi-light configuration to jump in! ANYBODY?
As far as I understand from reading here (but not completely through ALL posts yet!) the m60 is supposed to substitute a m44+m30 configuration. The main reason for 2 flooders is that I need good light in the ditch (full of boars here and these guys travel mainly during the night) in order to pick up eyes EARLY...
Now my understanding is that during the night they'll be too strong for oncoming traffic if I mount them high on the bike, that's why I thought putting'em on the nose of the chair so I may get usable light thrown also to the opposite (left) lane without burning people's retinas.
The m30 spot was to go close to the OEM light more for daytime visibility than for far throw (I recall reading the m60 throwing longer than a m30 anyway) and, aimed properly, doesn't need to be dimmed...

Trying not to need to re-order because of shipping and customs... (sitting in Italy)
Guess no gonna throw any extra light not needed on URAL... there's plenty of use for 'em on the Virago or my Jeep

Sanjoh and all the other guys: Let me know what you think !!!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #2996
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,493
Perhaps Bob with the sidecar rig will chime in

IIRC he is running 3 Model 44s.

Your setup with a couple of model 60s should work fine. If you are concerned about blinding traffic, I would suggest one of our LED controllers, will let you dim the lights and have full power on high beam.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #2997
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,127
I wanted both conspicuity lights (see above), and driving lights (I received from ADVMonster today). I also wanted to move the conspicuity lights lower so they didn't wash out my turn signals.

This was my cheap solution:

Using 1" by 1/8" flat bar I formed this:

Checking for clearance I zip tied it in place.

The center section is 11" long, with a 1.5" drop and 4" mounting surface for lights. It is quite stiff as is.

Being cheap, I made my own "J" bolts from long bolts I had in the bin.

I wanted to bed liner paint it, but had run out, so I used Plastidip. It was really too thick, but should be OK for now. I have plans for a slightly improved unit in the future.

Mounted to the beak frame with J-bolts. As far forward as possible. This gives the forks about an inch of clearance at full lock.

The conspicuity lights are mounted low, and the driving lights high. (Yes, I would have prefered black light housings for both, but they were cheap.) I used the same bolt, loctited, for both lights.

Front view. Looks like this should work great!

I will wire up the lights when I receive the fuse box next weekend.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #2998
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Perhaps Bob with the sidecar rig will chime in

IIRC he is running 3 Model 44s.

Your setup with a couple of model 60s should work fine. If you are concerned about blinding traffic, I would suggest one of our LED controllers, will let you dim the lights and have full power on high beam.
Hi John,
Here is a reply/review I sent to a fellow rider when he asked me about the ADVMonster lights:

" I saw the ADVMonster LED's on another bike while I was at my local
mechanic's shop. The dimmer function is really impressive. After seeing them
in person, I never actually investigated any of the alternatives, so I
can'tcomment on them.
I had the 30 spots on an Aprilia 500 scooter. They were pretty good on
that as it was more for conspicuity than anything else. The light down the
road at full brightness is good.
I have the 44 floods on the Kbike rig. The one in the sidecar is on full
bright at all times. The pair on the forks are on a dimmer. I feel the
dimmed floods are more conspicious than the spots because of the spread of
the beam, similar to the fog lights on my Camry. I've not had any problem
being flashed by oncoming traffic.
The pics show the LED's on full power. This was before I had
the HID in the low beam. Note there is not excessive light when dimmed in
the oncoming lane. The small reflective signs in the distance are 1/2 mile
away.
When you hit the high beam and the LED's go full power everything lights
up. I feel they are more effective through turns & curves because there is
no cutoff of the beam when on a solo bike.
With my new to me R I'm waiting to see his new spot series, but think I
will still go with the 44's or 60's for the reason above. I'll also mount
them low on the forks.
Hope this helps.
Bob
High beam and full power:
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #2999
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I have my model 60 mounted like this. Used them for more than a year and still like the LED's a lot.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #3000
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I have my model 60 mounted like this. Used them for more than a year and still like the LED's a lot.

What mount did you use, and did you paint your mount brackets that came with the lights? Mine are SS.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote