K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Not so good news from Manuel, though:

Manuel Lucchese
38 minutes ago via Mobile

The situation is quite bad, the engine lost all its compression today was a nightmare for me to manage to pass some sections of the stage. I need to get the engine rebuilt if i want to have a chance to finish, i have the parts but have no clue on how to put hands on the TM engine.

/ manuel staff / GO MAN!!

Manuel needs a manual! Someone should be able scan and send key pages.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #10232
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
White vinegar works wonders on those pumps

Playing catch up after a drive to the mountains. Another 6 tapatalk pages to go
That's some good information right there, thanks! The f5irehose to the rescue! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Penalties in the standings now - CD down 24 mins overall. Any guesses whether he'll swap for a fresh one today?
My bet is that he'll keep the engine. Should he make up the time on his competitors during the last half of the rally he _might_ swap the engine then, but for now the first priority has to be to make up some time I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
[...]

One thing that I'd like to say, whether you like his racing strategies or not, or the way the camera catches his bandana in the morning light, is that Cyril Despres is NOT an Asshole (as was mentionned in an earlier post).

I had the opportunity to ride with him over the course of a long-weekend, had dinner and beers with him, chatted with him and his girlfriend over morning coffee, and just generally hung-out with him on the trail at rest stops and fuel stops and lunch stops.

All I can say is that if I didn't know he was an international motorcycle racing Alien, I wouldn't have known it by his demeanour. Completely unpretentious, generous with interesting conversation on other topics, and quick with humour - he was basically a good dude to hang with, as much so as any of the other buds I was hanging with that weekend (except he didn't slow us all down like most of my other buds do...ahem).

So, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the entire person, or his overall character by what you see in the media, or by whatever happens in the heat of a race. I don't understand why cheering for one person means you have to assisinate the character of another person based on what you see in of all places...on the internet!

Anyway...that's my $0.02 FWIT.

(BTW - I'm also not about to judge Marc Coma as an asshole either by what I see of his racing strategies, or of this public relations machine either...)

(rant off)
[...]
This is good to read! I myself haven't gone with the bash crew, but I can see why some do. I saw the coverage called "Chasing the Dakar" (or something like it) produced by Bluebull2007 (was it?) and I remember a part of it where CDP is filmed at an early mornings stage start and the cameraman walks up to him and engages in conversation to which CDP seems to be rather uninterested, doesn't respond and just seems to be generally uninterested. A caption in the film says something along the lines of "OK, don't talk to me then!".

I would like to point out that I don't have "any beefs" with any specific inmates about any of this (and I don't want to have either =), it's just that when I saw that clip I thought to myself that:
"yeah, if I were dead tired in the morning, about to stand on the starting line soon, expected to deliver 110% - then yes, I would probably behave the same as well."
It's kind of the whole paparazi vs. celebrity thing all over again. We can't really expect them to cater to everyones need for conversation at any given time. So for me personally I'm not really bothered about his stonewalling that morning.

There were some pictures in the ES coverage yesterday that showed Stéphane Peterhansel standing infront of his car having his picture taken together with the locals. There were about 10, to him totally unknown, people coming and going, putting their arms around him and a bunch of photographers contiously taking pictures - he didn't really look too pleased. He probably knew that he had to put up with it since he was in the media zone and sponsor deals and yada yada yada, but the look in his eyes was not the same that CDP shows in Flannys picture. That picture is genuine and both people in the picture get their kicks of it! As for the pictures of Stéphane Peterhansel? They could probably have replaced him with a statue. =)

Oh, and good morning btw - had eight solid hours of sleep (04:00 to 12:00). Did anyone say rest day!? I'm ON! =)

drgunther screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 03:56 AM
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #10233
BabyBeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Expulsion from the Dakar

Hi Team F5, before it gets too busy ......

Somebody posted a few pages ago about what caused a rider to be expelled from the Dakar, a la, this guy

FRANK VERHOESTRAETE (BEL)- on the Withdrawals list but NOT as withdrawn or 'Not Starting', stated reason is 'Expulsion'.

No-one has replied, but I and the OP (presumably) would be very interested as to what one has to do to be expelled from the Dakar :)

TIA, BB :)
BabyBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #10234
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
On Eurosport Germany/Austria CD was interviewd and he said he will try and reach the finish on this engine. so no change on the rest day.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #10235
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2vodka View Post
Manuel needs a manual! Someone should be able scan and send key pages.
Working on sourcing a manual for Manuel ...........just waiting to hear back fro somebody...

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #10236
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBeemer View Post

Somebody posted a few pages ago about what caused a rider to be expelled from the Dakar, a la, this guy

FRANK VERHOESTRAETE (BEL)- on the Withdrawals list but NOT as withdrawn or 'Not Starting', stated reason is 'Expulsion'.

No-one has replied, but I and the OP (presumably) would be very interested as to what one has to do to be expelled from the Dakar :)

I seem to remember from having read this years rulebook that unsportsmanlike conduct can get you expelled. So perhaps he's left a crashed rider unchecked? Take note - I'm not saying he did that, I'm just referring to the rules. =) Other than that I wouldn't know.
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #10237
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBeemer View Post

There are alot of things in the rile book you can get expelled for, from missing to many waypoints cutting the course not assisting a disabled rider..? don't know they don't list anywhere I can find why he was expelled...
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #10238
BabyBeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
I seem to remember from having read this years rulebook that unsportsmanlike conduct can get you expelled. So perhaps he's left a crashed rider unchecked? Take note - I'm not saying he did that, I'm just referring to the rules. =) Other than that I wouldn't know.
Thanks for your thoughts, I figured it could be something like unsportsmanlike conduct, but what ever he did has flown under the radar - Google turns up Nada! Probably what ever he did only affected a 'lowly' placed competitor - which (if true) is wrong, they have the least amount of resources to overcome a Dakar mishap, cheers BB
BabyBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #10239
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
...and there it is....from dry riverbed to surf's up! in an instant!
And give it an hour till dry again. seen this in many deserts you can hear it even arriving so you got time to move away.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #10240
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 154
From PAU FB:

Then we got the answer: there were 14 riders yesterday that did not come across the river. All these got fixed time 2h ​​10 m This means that PAU and the gang keeps the time that was stated yesterday. He stands now at 19 Place in the summary (one that has received a penalty). He greets from south America and use the day to rest. He promises full throttle the next few days :)
Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #10241
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Working on sourcing a manual for Manuel ...........just waiting to hear back fro somebody...
1. I don't understand why he didn't ask Mauro Sant ( he is the mecanic from Joan Barreda, Husky Team ). If i remember the TM bike was build from him and his brother.
2. Why he doesn't ask the mecanic from Alex Zanotti, he is on the new rally bike from TM, but the mecanic must know someting about the engine.

Or may be nobody doesn't want to help him because he is not well prepared ?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #10242
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
[QUOTE=drgunther;20470698]That's some good information right there, thanks! The f5irehose to the rescue! =)

This is good to read! I myself haven't gone with the bash crew, but I can see why some do. I saw the coverage called "Chasing the Dakar" (or something like it) produced by Bluebull2007 (was it?) and I remember a part of it where CDP is filmed at an early mornings stage start and the cameraman walks up to him and engages in conversation to which CDP seems to be rather uninterested, doesn't respond and just seems to be generally uninterested. A caption in the film says something along the lines of "OK, don't talk to me then!".

QUOTE]

I remember that posting, i thought then what should I do, a man walking around me with a camera for his breast following me. How is the best way to approche the man. Introduce yourself first, or say member of motorcycle forum have you a litle time............make a joke your a alien but explain why...........it is the moment and what you do.
Myway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #10243
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Just now got word from Chavo that he is in. 21 hours on stage 7am Saturday until 4am Sunday.

Finally got the bike started and got going again. Nearly had to abandon but got some help and a tow from Bolivian quad rider, Diego Martinez.

Not where he wants to be in the race but stoked he is still in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Not so good news from Manuel, though:

Manuel Lucchese
38 minutes ago via Mobile

The situation is quite bad, the engine lost all its compression today was a nightmare for me to manage to pass some sections of the stage. I need to get the engine rebuilt if i want to have a chance to finish, i have the parts but have no clue on how to put hands on the TM engine.

/ manuel staff / GO MAN!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
1. I don't understand why he didn't ask Mauro Sant ( he is the mecanic from Joan Barreda, Husky Team ). If i remember the TM bike was build from him and his brother.
2. Why he doesn't ask the mecanic from Alex Zanotti, he is on the new rally bike from TM, but the mecanic must know someting about the engine.

I have faith, Manuel seems to be a resourceful young lad. GO!!!!!!!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #10244
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post

I doubt it's a matter of them not wanting to help him. It's more likely that those folks are just too busy with their own stuff to be able to be of much help to him.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #10245
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,336
I wanted to go and help with Cyrils swap, btu now iwant ot go and help Manuel!

GO MANUEL!