Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #766
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #767
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Did ya remove the windscreen on purpose? If so, does it seem to work well?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #768
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,490
I liked it MUCH better without the wind screen.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #769
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Did ya remove the windscreen on purpose? If so, does it seem to work well?
That would be a resounding YES. I don't plan on putting it back on the bike... unless I do a track day. I like clean airflow.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #770
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakez View Post
i liked it much better without the wind screen.
+1
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #771
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:

What tires you runing on this?
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #772
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
What tires you runing on this?
TKC on rear. IRC TR8 Battle Rally on front. It's half the price of a TKC and has wider knob spacing in addition to stiffer sidewalls. Great handling tire on and off road.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #773
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
I know your answer Black Tiger, anyone else come off a 955i? I am thinking about adding a 800XC to the stable to replace the XR650L. My question is, is the 800 really pretty decent offroad with some good knobbies? I will keep the 955i for longer road trips. Its got the 41L Touratechs. My plan is to put Wolfman racks on the 800 as I already have the bags on my XR.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #774
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I know your answer Black Tiger, anyone else come off a 955i?
Schtum!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #775
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
I know your answer Black Tiger, anyone else come off a 955i? I am thinking about adding a 800XC to the stable to replace the XR650L. My question is, is the 800 really pretty decent offroad with some good knobbies? I will keep the 955i for longer road trips. Its got the 41L Touratechs. My plan is to put Wolfman racks on the 800 as I already have the bags on my XR.
I went from an 05 955i to the 2012 800xc.

Similar capabilities (the 955 felt a little more top heavy off-road). Both good machines that weigh in around 500lbs. Some people can do amazing things with a 500lb. motorbike so I guess the 800's off-road worthiness is relative (+100lbs. on your Honda).
To me the 800xc would be a closer duplication of the 955i not the xr650.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #776
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

I think for me the big difference is the weight of stuff on it. The TT bags along with the tool bag weigh quite a bit. Well we will see next year. Was going to try and get one this summer but a 12 month all expense paid vacation kinda got in the way.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #777
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
I went from an 05 955i to the 2012 800xc.

Similar capabilities (the 955 felt a little more top heavy off-road). Both good machines that weigh in around 500lbs. Some people can do amazing things with a 500lb. motorbike so I guess the 800's off-road worthiness is relative (+100lbs. on your Honda).
To me the 800xc would be a closer duplication of the 955i not the xr650.
I'm not arguing with cyclingtom, but my ownership experience has been different regarding these two bikes. To me, the 800XC feels 100lbs lighter than my Girlie did, even though we all know it's not nearly that much. It has much better suspension out of the box. It's not nearly as top heavy. I can ride it places I would not dare to ride the Girlie. It inspires confidence whereas the Girlie had the unnerving knack of leaving a chocolate hostage in my underpants every time I jumped it or rode through sand or mud. The only times I recall my 800XC feeling heavy was when I had to pick it up from a nap. With knobs, this bike can be ridden farther and much faster than the Girlie on the dirt. I traded her for the 800XC and have no regrets. On the street with the stock tires, you can hang with your sport bike buds in the twisty bits too, if you have the skills and keep it on the boil.

Black Gap road in Big Bend. The Girlie was tying itself in knots trying to keep up with Krautbikeman on that old airhead GS. The suspension could not cope with the bumpy deep stuff, unlike the old PD.

Here's a jeep trail I would not go near on the Girlie.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #778
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
I'm not arguing with cyclingtom, but my ownership experience has been different regarding these two bikes. To me, the 800XC feels 100lbs lighter than my Girlie did, even though we all know it's not nearly that much.
Except it is.
800 fully wet is 215Kgs. 955 dry = 225Kgs. When you've filled up the girlie with all its fluids I reckon you'd be looking at around a 40Kgs difference. = 100lbs as near as dammit.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #779
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. I will be keeping the Girlie for longer trips and whatnot. It handles surprisingly well on TKCs, but will be adding the 800XC to the stable. I am a bit stuburn. I was following 2500cc two strokes in the Missouri woods on the XR. So I figure with some practice I will be able to get myself into plenty of trouble with the XC. Now to get this next 12 months over with. May of 14 looking to do a fly n ride for a Kahki green 800XC.

Off topic, this is advrider. Why do so many people post up in the flea market that a bike is so far away. Only reason I can't fly n ride is ice and snow on most of the roads between here and lower 48.

Blacktiger, did you keep your Girlie also?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #780
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
I have a TE630 along with the XC. I think the TE is similar to the XR, and there's no way I would replace one with the other.

The XC is a great road bike but it's no where near the offroad machine that the TE is. Some guys will ride them like that and it just beats the living shit out of the bike. Not to mention it's twice the cost.

The XC is HEAVY. A dirtbike is common to dump them over, it just happens and expected. Not so with a road bike or adventure bike. My plan is to never dump mine. If it happens it happens, but I don't ride it like a dirtbike. The parts are way to freaking expensive.

Will it go where the XR goes? I suppose mostly, but like I say, when the going is going to be tough the Husky goes. When there's a lot of hiway miles and good dirt roads the tiger goes.

The Tiger is NOT a dirtbike. It is a streetbike that has been adapted to go off pavement. It has a streetbike airfilter, the shock has no protection from mud, it does not have suspension for offroad, the motor hangs down exposed, ergos are for sitting down for road riding, gearing is for road going, first is too tall, power is for road going it's not a grunt like the xr, and it's heavy. DID I MENTION THAT IT'S HEAVY????

My advice: keep the XR and get the XC too.

Here's the two. Now I ask you, how can the Tiger be what the Husky is, and vice versa?????
328lbs vs 475bs. 52hp vs 95hp. 12" suspension travel vs 8. Knobbies vs Adventure tires. How could one possibly think that putting knobbies on the XC would transform it into the likes of the Husky?

browneye screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 11:42 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote