User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
mark0ne OP
Ralle-Moto Adventure

Oddometer: 112
Hawaii Day Rides???

Hi people, Im heading to Waikiki, Hawaii on Saturday and was wondering if anyone can point me on a good day ride?? We regulary ride 800+ kms a day on twisty roads. The girls want to go shopping which sounds like a pretty crook idea to me so I have organised to hire a couple of bikes which we have a choice of BMW F800GS or a selection of Harley's.

If anyone has been riding there or knows someone that lives there and can help us not waste a day on the bike would be much appreciated

(I know it's short notice but I only just thought to ask now!)

Cheers
Vaughan
mark0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
The road to Hana will be your best bet. Take the BMW for a better ride. The road can be rough at times but always beautiful. Do the entire loop. Great day trip.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
The road to Hana will be your best bet. Take the BMW for a better ride. The road can be rough at times but always beautiful. Do the entire loop. Great day trip.
That's on a different island, isn't it?
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
rkover1
doc

Oddometer: 172
Circle Island

A circle Island tour would be a good choice. Head out past Sandy Beach and Makapu'u, up the windward coast to the North Shore. If the waves are up, the bikes will help get you through the traffic. Lots of nice beaches along the way for short breaks. The Shrimp trucks near La'ie make a nice lunch break.

Have fun!

doc
Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
oops. The Road to Hana IS on another island. My mistake. Head to the north shore instead.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkover1 View Post
A circle Island tour would be a good choice. Head out past Sandy Beach and Makapu'u, up the windward coast to the North Shore. If the waves are up, the bikes will help get you through the traffic. Lots of nice beaches along the way for short breaks. The Shrimp trucks near La'ie make a nice lunch break.

Have fun!

doc
This is the way to do it... lived on Oahu for three years with my GSA.. only 120 miles around the whole island so not a ton of real choice... just ride the perimeter.. when you get up to the North Shore ride out to the end of the road past Dillingham Airport.... it is out and back since you cant ride around that end of the island.. but I like the road.. then when you cross over back to the western side of the island you can ride out to Waianae..which is another out and back road.. but worth it.. will you have a GPS that can take GPX files? I could gin up a route on Mapsource later tonight and email it to you.

But basically take H1 Southeast out of Honolulu... it will end and turn into Kalanianaole Hwy....take that all the way around the shouthern tip of the island.. past Hanauma Bay.. stop there if you want to see where Elvis filmed Blue Hawaii. But if you get to Hanauma Bay too late it will be packed and you will have to shuttle down.. not sure if that is true at this time of year.. cant remember?? Anyway, Hanauma Bay is beautiful but a tourist destination.. then back on Kalanianaole Hwy..now heading North .. got through Waimanalo.. when you get to the stoplight at the intersection of Kalanianaole Hwy and Kailua Rd you can turn right..down the hill to Kailua.. which is a cool little town with beautiful beaches and some good chow.. or you can turn left and continue on Kalanianaole Hwy for a mile or so.. up a hill to another stop light at the intersection of the Pali Hwy, Kalanianaole Hwy and I believe the Kamehmeha Hiway.. at least I think it is ..anyway.. turn right towards the North Shore...go through Kaneohe.. then the road will meet up with Kahekili Hwy..where you will turn right.. again towards the North Shore.. I am 99% sure the road keeps the Kamehameha name... even though the Kahekili Hwy is the bigger road. Stop at one of the shrimp shacks for lunch.. they are all good.. but Giovani's is the most famous.. but like I said.. they are all the same IMHO. Now you will be headed into North Shore proper.. it will be a zoo if there is a winter swell hitting.. but way cool giant waves to be seen, and honestly there is no way to but through the mess..or turn around and head back the way you came Once you have made it through the North Shore mess.. stopping at Sunset Beach or Banzai Pipeline if you wish.. then go up past the airport.. hit the tip of the island.. turn around.. turn right on Wilikina Dr... towards Schofield Barracks.. then route 750 to the H1.. take the H1 towards Wainae.. it will neck down to a smaller road..take that along the coast to Wainae.. see the beach.. turn around and head back to Honolulu.. make sense??

If you are wondering about all the crazy and hard to remember names.. the Hawaiian laguage only has 12 letters.. 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and 7 consonants (h, k, l, m, n, p, w)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Meritlane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Splitting

Don't forget splitting lanes is a no go in Hawaii and speed limits are low and observed.
Aloha.
Meritlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Go up Roundtop/Tantlus - freshly repaved with switch-backs and good scenery - there is a nice park up there to view Waikiki and Diamond Head from