Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #751
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Continuing to enjoy your ride report. Most enjoyable.

Those white "cranes" are a part of the heron /egret family. Seen them as common throughout Africa and the America's. Come in several sizes.

Those reed boats are reminders of the Norwegian ethnographer, Thor Heyerdahl - who in 1947 sailed indigenous styled craft Kon-Tiki from Peru to prove migrations were possible from SA East and 69/70, in Ra and Ra 11 to prove migrations from Africa to India.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #752
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 155
Hello Kedgi,

I am still following your report. Look forward to the updates and really appreciate the effort it takes on your part to do them while enroute. Lots of snow here in Moncton but we do have the January thaw starting for a couple days with forecast of +8 C for tomorrow. I am organizing our annual breakfast get-together for the New Brunswick Dualsport Club during the Motorcycle Show weekend, and will mention your ride to them in case some are not aware of it. As you know, NBDSC is a virtual club, but if you are interested in doing a slide show or talk regarding your trip when you get back then I will set it up.

You didn't happen to try and paddle any of those reef boats did you? They looked pretty cool.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #753
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Continuing to enjoy your ride report. Most enjoyable.

Those white "cranes" are a part of the heron /egret family. Seen them as common throughout Africa and the America's. Come in several sizes.

Those reed boats are reminders of the Norwegian ethnographer, Thor Heyerdahl - who in 1947 sailed indigenous styled craft Kon-Tiki from Peru to prove migrations were possible from SA East and 69/70, in Ra and Ra 11 to prove migrations from Africa to India.
I read Kon-Tiki and for anyone that hasn't I highly recommend it. It is the story of an amazing adventure. I was thinking of him as I looked out across the Pacific after seeing those reed boats. I didn't try to paddle one. The ones they use for tourists (don't tell anyone) are full of styrofoam. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #754
Kedgi OP
Banned

Ride report

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Hello Kedgi,

I am still following your report. Look forward to the updates and really appreciate the effort it takes on your part to do them while enroute. Lots of snow here in Moncton but we do have the January thaw starting for a couple days with forecast of +8 C for tomorrow. I am organizing our annual breakfast get-together for the New Brunswick Dualsport Club during the Motorcycle Show weekend, and will mention your ride to them in case some are not aware of it. As you know, NBDSC is a virtual club, but if you are interested in doing a slide show or talk regarding your trip when you get back then I will set it up.

You didn't happen to try and paddle any of those reef boats did you? They looked pretty cool.
I'm afraid I'm not much of a public speaking kind of guy. It's my only weakness, that, and of course my good looks and overwhelming modesty but I don't count those.

Those reed boats are available for tourists to try, but they fill them with styrofoam now. As a guy who goes to great lengths to build wooden kayaks I was really surprised to see styrofoam in those boats.

I would like to take a surfing lesson but I'm not sure I will. When I take a day off of adventure riding, just doing nothing is more my style.

I find it easier to update my report when I am alone. When you're traveling with other guys there is always something to talk about. I'm really on my own again now. Boris, Franki and Tony have really lit the jets and are already in Cusco or will get there today and my friend Steve is still in Ecudaor, touring two up with his wife, Julie. My German backpacker friends, Jana, Niko and Lawrence have just arrived in Cuenca and are staying there for a few days.

I'm not sure where Dylan, Bryce and Alison are, they may be closer to me than I think. I do have a group email link where I could find them, or they could find me if I need be.

I don't mind being alone. It is kind of hard to fill in a day at the beach by yourself when you don't speak the language but it's alright. I like taking pictures and I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for this afternoon's football game. In the meantime I had a great breakfast and am enjoying the warm weather.

Kedgi
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #755
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oaxaca & Medellin

It is one thing to talk about riding in South America and quite another thing to actually show video of it. You guys liked the clip from Puria so much I looked for the video I thought I had of Oaxaca which was the worst traffic I encountered to this point. I don't think I have it. probably a case of thinking the Go-Pro was on when it wasn't. It happens a lot. If you buy a GoPro get the new generation one with a remote control. I think they call it Go-Pro 3 You can then fasten the remote to your handlebars and see if the camera is actually on.

Fear not though, I am working on another clip for you. I have finally figured out how to post longer clips to YouTube. It takes a long while. The clip I do have is of a portion of my ride down into Medellin from the top of the mountains. It was early in the morning so the traffic was not too crazy but the ride was outstandiing. One of the best mornings of my trip. You feel like you are descending in an aircraft, from about 6 or 7 thousand feet to the valley floor on a road carved into the side of the mountains with a spectacular view of the city. As soon as I can get the clip ready I'll post it. Maybe later today.

Kedgi
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #756
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I'm guessing those wicker boats are lighter than water even with the pilot rather than being watertight. Was that your impression?

BTW, were many Peruvians interested in US footballers or were those shows for the benefit of tourists?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #757
Kedgi OP
Banned

Reed Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I'm guessing those wicker boats are lighter than water even with the pilot rather than being watertight. Was that your impression?

BTW, were many Peruvians interested in US footballers or were those shows for the benefit of tourists?
That's they way they seem to work, the authentic ones relied on the buoyancy of the reed bundles to keep afloat. the little cockpit you see was used to put the fish in that they caught. The captain actually straddles the reeds like you would sit on a horse with each leg dangling in the water. The prows are bent up to deal with the surf.

In fairness to today's builders the authentic ones would become waterlogged with a lot of use and need to be dried out. The styrofoam makes for a much longer service life.

No one and I mean no one was watching Football Americano. I just happened to see the TV on as I walked by and grabbed the table right in front. I had the TV to myself until Henry discovered the game in much the same fashion I did. I don't think he had TV in his room so he was glad to be able to see the end of and exciting game.

By the way. Baltimore was down by 7 points with a minute and a half left. Flocco threw and amazing pass and then tied up the game, forcing over time. Baltimore eventually won and it was a heart breaker of a loss for Denver. The Denver fans had been celebrating they were so sure they had it won, only to have the game change so quickly. The Stadium was in shock.

Games like that are one of the reasons I like NFL so much. Anything can happen and usually does. I feel for the Denver fans. I have seen Seattle lose so many close ones in the past.

Kedgi
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #758
Kedgi OP
Banned

Motorcycle Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
Hello Kedgi,

Hey Rory!

I was just thinking that since you're going to the motorcycle show anyway.........you will no doubt want to mention me and my ride report to the Yamaha shop who has been trying to sell me a Super Tenere. Of course when they realize Kawasaki has never called me back they will likely jump at the chance to give a long distance adventure rider, like old Kedgi here a smokin' deal on a new Super Tenere so they can say to other potential customers ......look what you can do with this bike, as I ride it in Africa or Australia maybe (with their name on it of course)...hahaha

It's fun to dream!

Kedgi
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #759
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Oh, they are Styrofoam? You mentioned Kon Tiki. I have a Kon Tiki watch by Eternamatic. Supposedly it was commissioned by that Norse guy to be rugged enough to keep time on his voyage. Anyway, it's a nice watch.

I guess time marches on and although tourists would like to see waterlogged reed boats, the guys using them would be bozos not to avail themselves of modern materials. I think I"ve seen similar boats before - perhaps in Lake Titicaca pix.

Thanks for the update on that game. I have a friend who used to play for the Colt team as a pro. He predicted, just last week, that the Denvers would most likely be the overall winners. I guess that's been put paid to now.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #760
Kedgi OP
Banned

Seahawks

i walked to the bar to see the Seahawks. Bar doesn't open until Happy Hour....too late...My TV is showing Australian open tennis.

Found the game on online radio. Yay, not going well so far.

falcons 20 Seahawks nothing

Kedgi
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #761
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,783
20 - 7
3:59 left in 3rd. Atlanta threatening

27-7
2:11 left in third

27-21
Seattle starting to gain momentum in the 4th

27-21 34 seconds left Seattle on the 2 yard line 1st and goal

27-27 seattle fumble and recovery crossing goal line. td under review

28-27 Seattle 31 seconds left

28-27 19 seconds atlanta on the move.

Atlanta in field goal range 13 seconds left

30-28 Atlanta 8 seconds left

Atlanta squib kick. Seattle has ball near center

Hail Mary Atlanta interception no time left

Atlanta wins great game and an incredible 4th q

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 02:15 PM
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #762
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Getting into Lima - a less stressful route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Driving in North America is much more predictable than driving down here. Big cities like Oxaca, Cali, Cartagena, Medellin can be real crazy. Cali really sticks out in my mind. I hear Lima is a nightmare and I have that to look forward to.
I was fretting about navigating into central Lima too, but a Peruvian rider recommended the route below:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213224474256604881985.0004d330da7ee289ca18 e&msa=0&ll=-12.080953,-77.081451&spn=0.722463,1.352692

(I couldn't get the Google maps route marker to cooperate so its a rough approximation)

I didn't have GPS maps for Peru, so I'm going off memory here. Basically you leave the Panam a few kms after Ancon and make your way to the international airport (signposted), then on to the Lima cost road (the "Costenera") The first section of this route has some traffic, but nothing too crazy. Once you get on the Costanera its cake to get to the center of town - the Costanera is a promenade type road at the base of a cliff so very little traffic.

I'd recommend a very early start form Huanchaco as its a full day to Lima from there. In fact I stayed the night in Ancon to avoid having to deal with Lima evening rush hour. I went in the next morning.

Anyway, just another option for you to consider to get into Lima.

Been enjoying your report from the start. Keep up the great reporting. I did the same trip last year and wish I was back there again!
1Man2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #763
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
You do kind of get used to the way they drive. John Downs described it well in his report, he called it a fluid style of driving. They are like a fluid, the sneak into every hole. The little motos in a big city like Cali are a pain in the butt. They are always squeezing by you.

Kedgi
I had the same experience in Costa Rica recently, in a car. I'd been told if you've driven in major American cities you'll be ok in Centro America. I agree. I've lived and driven in Boston, DC, San Francisco and Seattle. Nothing I experienced in CR put me out of my comfort zone (and I'd have been more comfortable on a bike). Go with the flow, and expect the little motos to lane split and come up on you with 3" clearance.

Only mishap I had was I broke off a mirror on the Bego exiting the Paquera/Puntarenas ferry.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos

Smithee screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 08:26 PM Reason: Cause I could? Whats it to you?
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #764
Kedgi OP
Banned

Life sucks somedays

Seahawks LOST.

In fact they never showed up to play the game.

i called home after several hours of trying Skype and my buddy says " can you hang on a second I have to take another call/?"

It's kind of like a Monty Python Skit

Who the f** was calling? The Pope from the Space Shuttle maybe? I call home once week for 15 minutes.

I tried for 6 hours to make the fuciiiiii**g connection!

Tonight I finally make a connection to home and I talk to Angele for the first real conversation in days and a guy at the hostal comes out and tells me in German at 10:30 I'm too loud and I'm keeping him awake.

You gotta love it. 100's of Taxi's blowing horn's and those annoying whistles they have, buses, garbage trucks, motos, even two stroke motos with exhaust systems that have been banned from NA tracks for years because they are too noisy, ripping up and down the street in front of the hostal, but I'm keeping him awake. OMG

I'm telling you, travel in SA is not easy.

More later

Beginning to look forward to Miami

dwight

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 05:03 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #765
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,302
Have another day off and relax. All is still well in Patriots nation!

Your having an amazing adventure my friend, travel safe

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote