Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #61
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
it takes a real man to ride these untamed beasts. Not for girly men.
HD make little ones for girly girls, though.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #62
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
True, after the K1200R I tried a MTS1100S then a year later, bought my current exercise in blandness:

You feel my pain.

cheers,
melby
Beautiful bike, I'll bet it handles the curve very well. I can only imagine riding that thing down main street Lake Wobegone... what must the neighbors think?
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #63
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
Well, as the former owner of an LT and an RT, and current owner of an Electra Glide, I can say that my Harley has put the fun back in motorcycling for me.

Not that I didn't like my LT and especially my RT, but neither one made me smile like my Harley. I know they aren't for everyone, but for me right now, I'm on the bike that makes me smile. Will I always ride Harley ? Maybe....but, maybe not.

I could see myself back on a BMW someday. But, right now, I'm quite content with what I have.
There is no accounting for it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #64
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Age wrinkle

Just to stirr up this thread, let me throw in the riders age factor. Having been on two wheels for 50 years, ridden just about every major brand, I find myself drawn to BMW and H-D.

The airhead I own is my time machine. Back to the days of simpler bikes; less performance but a ton of smiles per miles. The two H-D's I own are my daily riders and touring bikes. Each mark has never given me issues and each has a charm/flaw of it's own. Personally I think that each mark gives what seasoned ( OK, old ) riders look for. Dependability, reasonable performance and each mark can be easily setup for the individual's needs.

I personally think, that once a rider gets over the "having to be fastes and biggest" reliable and comfortable gives way to all other considerations.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #65
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Beautiful bike, I'll bet it handles the curve very well. I can only imagine riding that thing down main street Lake Wobegone... what must the neighbors think?
Thanks.

The bike does stand out a bit as the majority of bikes here are cruiser & H-D touring types. I tell the Harley boys at work that the Duc is a v-twin, but doesn't need to be rubber mounted, etc. About all I get are blank looks, motorcycling to them means H-D, or cruiser type bikes. I don't understand the mentality, but I guess that I am just as closed minded but in the opposite sense in that I cannot understand the appeal of the feet forward, low slung, cruiser design.

I got the chance to put a couple thousand miles on it last fall with a trip out to the Black Hills and a two day run over the passes of the Big Horns, great fun. Am currently working up a plan for a trip to the west coast in the spring.

cheers, melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #66
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Thanks.

The bike does stand out a bit as the majority of bikes here are cruiser & H-D touring types. I tell the Harley boys at work that the Duc is a v-twin, but doesn't need to be rubber mounted, etc. About all I get are blank looks, motorcycling to them means H-D, or cruiser type bikes. I don't understand the mentality, but I guess that I am just as closed minded but in the opposite sense in that I cannot understand the appeal of the feet forward, low slung, cruiser design.

I got the chance to put a couple thousand miles on it last fall with a trip out to the Black Hills and a two day run over the passes of the Big Horns, great fun. Am currently working up a plan for a trip to the west coast in the spring.

cheers, melby

says the ducati fan in the BMW/Hardly thread....

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #67
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
I personally think, that once a rider gets over the "having to be fastest and biggest" reliable and comfortable gives way to all other considerations.

I agree, however, I do like the fact that my RT is pretty quick and big to go with the "comfort" part . Especially the cruise and heated seats and grips. And the adjustable windscreen. And satellite radio. All while chasing crotch rockets with the cases onboard. Life is great !!

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #68
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
5 pages of Hardly-Ableson debate? Must be too cold to ride in some places, boredom is h*ll
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #69
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Harley this, BMW that. my dick is bigger than yours, I can piss farther than you, my dad can whip your dad.
How many times does this horse have to be beaten into glue?
I had BMW's then HD's, both are good depending what your use is I.E. right tool for the job.
speaking of tools...you tools can resume the discussion now!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #70
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
And to think this thread started 5 pages ago with a drunken incoherent ramble typed in from a phone.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #71
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
At the core of the rant is an interesting thought. What is it that makes a bike right for someone? Rational thought is a process that occurs after a decision is made. Just an attempt to make sense of something that makes a different kind of sense. Perhaps it isn't speed, handling, comfort, ease of maintenance, crisp response or attention getting ability that makes a motorcycle right for someone. I wonder if sound and rhythm, percussion, the right vibration, or just the quality of the machine are as important. I have never owned a BMW, although I have wanted one since I was a teenager. I can tell without riding a HD that the long legged, low slung, slow turning engine would have a strong physical appeal. Some bikes just have it, and when I get to this point I can only refer to Robert Pirsig. Quality. Awesomeness.Different aspects and different riders.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #72
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks.

cheers, melby
Give me a shout if you come thru Colorado Melby, I'll show you over one or two of our favorite roads...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #73
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
And to think this thread started 5 pages ago with a drunken incoherent ramble typed in from a phone.
Magic words, BMW, Harley Davidson...
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #74
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
At the core of the rant is an interesting thought. What is it that makes a bike right for someone? Rational thought is a process that occurs after a decision is made. Just an attempt to make sense of something that makes a different kind of sense. Perhaps it isn't speed, handling, comfort, ease of maintenance, crisp response or attention getting ability that makes a motorcycle right for someone. I wonder if sound and rhythm, percussion, the right vibration, or just the quality of the machine are as important. I have never owned a BMW, although I have wanted one since I was a teenager. I can tell without riding a HD that the long legged, low slung, slow turning engine would have a strong physical appeal. Some bikes just have it, and when I get to this point I can only refer to Robert Pirsig. Quality. Awesomeness.Different aspects and different riders.
To me rational thought has nothing to do with motorcycling. It is a purely emotional thing. And for me it needs to be a very visceral, primitive experience. Smooth and quiet are not what I think motorcycles should be (yes my Goldwing is smooth and quiet, and drop dead boring. But I use it as part of another activity I like. Traveling. An Electra Glide would make travel way more fun, but you cannot get one, especially in really nice condition, for $5500. If I could buy new, I would absolutely take the Harley over the Goldwing. Fortunately I have a couple of other bikes that satisfy what I need and want a motorcycle for. And they are the ones I'm always playing and tinkering with. The GW is just one huge piece of plastic with a really comfortable seat. I do not plan to keep it forever, but it beats traveling in a car.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #75
MOGWA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thumb

I put a bunch of miles on seven different BMW's. Three of them were R90S's. After taking a year off from riding to let the lower back fusion heal I went looking for a new bike. I wanted simplicity,air cooling,comfort,something not too heavy and just modern enough to be reliable. The 2007 Harley Superglide worked for me. Put on a Mustang seat,a set of detachable bags and a Sportech 14" detachable windscreen and ended up with a versatile street/touring bike. I don't love it the way I did my 76 R90S(best bike ever made IMHO),but I like it a LOT!
MOGWA is offline   Reply With Quote