Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #241
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikh Jones View Post
All,

Thanks for the info on the Givi windscreen and the pics. I decided to go with the Givi for both the size and price. After riding the bike I am happy with the windscreen but wish it would deflect a little more air away from the hand grips. I will probably end up putting on a set of guards to help keep my hands from freezing. I know twisted throttle has some heated handgrips that my buddy uses in Alaska and he loves them. Anyhow thanks for the help and all of the discussion on this great bike!

Darrell
The Givi screen was just a bit too short for my needs, and as such is back off my bike. I barely rode with it, and it's still in great shape. If anyone is interested in picking it up for a discount, let me know.

It looks great, and if you are under 6 foot, it'd probably be perfect. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, as an FYI.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #242
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,652
Just needs a laminar lip..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #243
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Just needs a laminar lip..
Possibly. I tried reverting back to the stock screen w/ the National Cycle Defender DX (http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...orScreen.shtml), and that's still not quite enough, at least not in any configuration I've set it at yet. I honestly think a taller screen is the way to go for me, YMMV. After being on a scooter with a tall screen for a year, I really liked having a quiet, wind free zone in front of my helmet.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #244
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 731
I only have one experience with a tall windscreen and i mean tall ... you looked through it, not over it.
My buddys C10 has one and over 55mph it feels like you are doing a push up on the handlebars because of the
wind pushing on your back ... is this true with other tall windshields?

My C14's only goes up high enough to hit me in the middle of my helmet and yet not over my shoulders so i dont get
that sensation with the stock screen in the all up position.

Just curious ... having my visor open and going down the road with no wind buffetting me was nice on his bike though.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #245
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
I only have one experience with a tall windscreen and i mean tall ... you looked through it, not over it.
My buddys C10 has one and over 55mph it feels like you are doing a push up on the handlebars because of the

My C14's only goes up high enough to hit me in the middle of my helmet and yet not over my shoulders so i dont get

Just curious ... having my visor open and going down the road with no wind buffeting me was nice on his bike though.
The screen on my scooter was about the same. I could see over it, but with just a slight roll of the shoulders, I could be low enough to see through it. I rode w/ a 3/4 helmet for that year and enjoyed the lack of wind constantly blowing in my face. I never really noticed any pressure from behind, and regularly had the scooter over 55mph. Of course the geometry of my scooter (http://www.vespaportland.com/wp-cont...y/hd-200-3.jpg) was very different than any motorcycle I've owned.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #246
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post

Just curious ... having my visor open and going down the road with no wind buffetting me was nice on his bike though.
The V Strom guys have writen on this subject for years and experimented with all shape, size and distrance from the rider wind screens. Their problems are far worse than any thing on NC, their's was severe buffiting, wind noise and general discomfort. Some thought the screens and mirrors did not work together. Some removed the screen all together to get relief.

Having an older Transalp that experimented with taller screens, lips and the like I went back to low stock screen and enjoyed the wind in the chest rather the wind in the helmet. I had the Givi which blasted wind directly at my chin an clearview super tall was OK for cold winter riding wind over the helmet but was huge and looked and felt less than perfect.

Also having St1300 with an adjustable power wind screen, the wind, comfort and noise can be tuned as you ride............what learned from a power screen........to get a perfect wind free, warm in the cold weather, noise free experience the screen generally needs to be at eye level or slightly higher. This will vary with the distance from the screen and rider height but is generally true.

So anything short of a very tall screen on NC will most likely not be wind free noise free experience. The tall Honda screen is a compromise between protection, comfort and style and seems to work well with compromise in mind, Sooner or later a very tall screen on a lighter weight bike will begin to effect handling quite possibly in a negative way.

I find the TALL Honda screen works well, but in the heat of summer will most likely go back to the small screen to get max air flow. When it is over 90 I generally do not ride the ST due to the lack of air flow and the flow that is there in city traffic is HOT.....another compromise.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #247
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 731
Thanks for that good response!
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #248
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,201
Just signed all the paperwork for my bike today
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #249
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Unstripped

Stripped

Tail tidy

Preparing for paintjob
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #250
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Unstripped
Preparing for paintjob
What color you going with, and if you don't mind sharing, how much does something like this cost? If I keep my bike long term, I'll probably look at going another color besides the US silver/gray on the 2012.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #251
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
What color you going with, and if you don't mind sharing, how much does something like this cost? If I keep my bike long term, I'll probably look at going another color besides the US silver/gray on the 2012.
Will paint at least 8 black parts white. That will be around 600 Eur.
Will prepare/grind myself.
For color change you need to paint silver parts (and maybe black parts as well).
Same effort at disassembly (3D-Puzzle!!) but maybe more expensive.

Phil
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #252
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Will paint at least 8 black parts white. That will be around 600 Eur.
Will prepare/grind myself.
For color change you need to paint silver parts (and maybe black parts as well).
Same effort at disassembly (3D-Puzzle!!) but maybe more expensive.

Phil
Thanks! I'm also looking into possibly hydrodipping if I could find a pattern that I really liked. But as mentioned, that's if I keep the bike long term--don't want to limit resell by making the bike custom to me that might limit it's likeability by the next potential owner.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #253
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Very curious about your result of the hydrodipping. I have been working on my paintjob, but this will take some more time. In the meantime, I created the shirt for the bike
Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #254
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,441
I'm thinking about getting a NC,but I'm having a hard time finding one in western Washington.Is there a shortage of these ??.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #255
Fuzzy74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I'm thinking about getting a NC,but I'm having a hard time finding one in western Washington.Is there a shortage of these ??.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the 2012s are gone and 2013s wont show up until spring.
Fuzzy74 is offline   Reply With Quote