Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,339
Try to arrange a route where you are going west in the morning and east in the evening.

The last 150 miles or so felt rough, but up to then it was quite tolerable.

For tolls, put a bunch of change and small bills in a ziplock bag along with the toll ticket. At the toll booth, just hand the bag over to the toll collector instead of fumbling with money and tickets.

Compression shorts like bicyclists wear, instead of underwear.

Number your receipts to arrange them more easily later.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
To get my cert, I did mine under the Moonshine Lunch Run supervision last year. Left Detroit at noon after a half day at work, rode to Lebanon, MO, grabbed a room for 4 hours sleep and rode back to Casey, IL to get signed off on the finish. All done by 9:45 AM and cert handed over at 4 PM over coffee. To be fair, I've ridden some pretty long days prior to the run, so it was just filling the squares and paying the money.

One piece of advise I've not seen yet. If you're not feeling it, stop the ride, continue at your own pace and try again later. It's better to break off than not come back.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog

sleazy rider screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 11:08 AM
sleazy rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,035
I write the mileage on each receipt, helps later when you fill out trip log.
Toll roads - I use an EZPass.

Every minute is a mile. Every minute at a stop = a lost mile.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
For tolls, put a bunch of change and small bills in a ziplock bag along with the toll ticket. At the toll booth, just hand the bag over to the toll collector instead of fumbling with money and tickets.
This works for toll roads with tickets. Maybe not so well for roads with toll booths every 20 to 30 miles with a different cost at each place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Toll roads - I use an EZPass.
Works with both kinds of roads.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #20
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
the exact reason I started long distance riding, it lets you explore twisties 1000 miles from home on a 3 day weekend (I used a 4 day weekend and a BBG to explore the Ozarks from NH)

my first SS1000 started in NH and ended in Columbia, SC, from there I headed out to northern Georgia to explore

I did mine in June when days are longest, started @ 1am, all my night riding was in begining of ride when I was fresh and on roads close to home that I was familiar with, I rolled into Columbia just as it was getting dark @ 8pm

I did a lot of planning, but it wasn't really necessary for the SS1000, you can make extra stops.

BBG is a different story, 1500 miles in 24, you can't lallygag at fuel stops and you have to consistently make pace
What he said. Go when you have the most light to work with. 1000 miles isn't really that tough. I did mine last year, but now I have to say I've go no interest in doing it again. It was a goal.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,208
Most like to do it alone but I found that the company, encouragement and banter between me and two of my riding friends made it more enjoyable. Streaming music, books, news, talk shows and especially raunchy comedy when you are a little tired makes it MUCH less boring. (Investigate Pandora Radio) It's actually pretty easy. We did just under 1100 miles in 17.5 hours. Take mints, sour candy and red hots to stimulate your brain for a few minutes every so often. Eat many small snacks and meals, stay away from big carb and fat loaded meals. Stay hydrated, if you get thirsty, you are already behind the 8 ball! Become proficient at plugging tires quickly. Rest and eat well a couple of nights beforehand. My buddy struggled a bit as he did it on four hours of sleep the night before leaving, it was dumb but he didn't want us to change plans so he didn't tell us until we were around 750 miles into our trip.

There is no need to speed!!! The few minutes you gain will be wasted on the 45 minute stop to chat with the state trooper and the $300 fine!

Everything you need to know. Read and learn: http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 11:55 AM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
I am an early riser, so I generally go to bed a bit early, set the alarm for shortly after midnight, gear up and hit the all-night 7-11 a couple miles from the house for a start receipt and am clicking miles by 1:00 a.m. That first four or five hours of darkness are when I am rolling the best and allows me to be home 16-17 hours later prior to sunset.

The idea of keeping the sun at your back is an important one. West in the morning and East in the afternoon. Electric gear (love my Gerbings jacket) is a lifesaver as well...55 or 60 degrees in the dark feels a lot colder than when the sun is shining.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
One of my goals this year is to complete my first saddle sore 1000.....
First question: why?
What affirmation do you expect to receive?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
....... I did mine last year, but now I have to say I've go no interest in doing it again. It was a goal.
What caused this be a goal for you?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Why not?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #26
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Can't Wait!!

All this talk of riding and all this Ice on the roads!! I touched my bike yesterday and she said," Who are YOU? It's been three weeks and all you do is touch me??"
My only extra two cents is maybe set a dorky goal like I did. I hopped on the bike one day and hit all the "New England" states. Living in PA was a good launch point. Just something different on some other day through beuatiful country. The ride is pretty easy. Don't just do it for the patch. No one cares (I say that with the Iron Butt license plate holder on my bike. SS1000 is all I've done). Just do it to Have Fun!! If distance is your thing go for it. If not do something else. It has made great memories for me. There is always something to see 1K away. I'm thinking Rockies this fall...or maybe Key West...or may Middle Appalachia loop...Or maybe...You get the idea!!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
The idea of keeping the sun at your back is an important one.
sun at back can be just as annoying as in your face blinding you every time you glance at a mirror

I don't have problem riding into sun with dark smoked shield, piece of electrical tape across top helps as well

only way to completely avoid sun issues is choose a north south route
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #28
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by killianm View Post
All this talk of riding and all this Ice on the roads!! I touched my bike yesterday and she said," Who are YOU? It's been three weeks and all you do is touch me??"
My only extra two cents is maybe set a dorky goal like I did. I hopped on the bike one day and hit all the "New England" states. Living in PA was a good launch point. Just something different on some other day through beuatiful country. The ride is pretty easy. Don't just do it for the patch. No one cares (I say that with the Iron Butt license plate holder on my bike. SS1000 is all I've done). Just do it to Have Fun!! If distance is your thing go for it. If not do something else. It has made great memories for me. There is always something to see 1K away. I'm thinking Rockies this fall...or maybe Key West...or may Middle Appalachia loop...Or maybe...You get the idea!!
Yeah it's not about the mileage. In fact the more I plan my route around geographic goals the further I am from 1k. Right now with all the trips I have in mind I'm around 800 miles and that's fine. The geographic aspect is more important to me than the actual mileage.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
sun at back can be just as annoying as in your face blinding you every time you glance at a mirror
Me, I have those well designed mirrors where my elbows are factored in the sun reflexion protection system...LOL
But yeas, you are right. fortunately mirrors are easy to tip down a bit while riding.

Quote:
I don't have problem riding into sun with dark smoked shield, piece of electrical tape across top helps as well
wow, I thought I was the only one to do exactly that tape trick... I also streamlined both top vents with such tape to get rid of whistling and covered other vents to keep it warn in spring/fall. glossy black is perfect for my helmet.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

I use painters tape. It leaves no sticky residue when you replacement an old piece with new.