Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #2221
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Paging BlueLightening to the courtesy phone !!! Or anyone with an answer

I just installed my new SMH10b into my helmet. I using a Samsung Galaxy 3 and a Zumo 550. Everything seems to work pretty good except when I am listening to music from the Phone it is cutting in and out. Its almost like the circuit is looking for something. Its pretty annoying to the extent that listening to music just is a hassle.

HELP please !
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Well I tried that and I thought the problem was solved........then it returned.
If you are still having this issue, hook your SMH10 to your PC with the SMH10 manager and turn off the "high fidelity A2DP/stereo" or what ever they call it. It was something need added in one of the latest versions and as I far as I can tell, its just causing more issues than good. I can't tell the difference anyways on the speakers and I notice that "skipping" issue a lot more with that feature turned on. One of my phones I listen to music on "chokes" with this setting on a lot and the music constantly cuts out and you are right it makes listening to music unbearable. Funny thing is it usually only does it when I'm riding with my wife and her headset is on. If I'm solo, I have no problem.

Either way, I found it was a good setting to keep off. Unless you have some really high end ear buds, you won't be able to tell anyways.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #2222
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
If you are still having this issue, hook your SMH10 to your PC with the SMH10 manager and turn off the "high fidelity A2DP/stereo" or what ever they call it. It was something need added in one of the latest versions and as I far as I can tell, its just causing more issues than good. I can't tell the difference anyways on the speakers and I notice that "skipping" issue a lot more with that feature turned on. One of my phones I listen to music on "chokes" with this setting on a lot and the music constantly cuts out and you are right it makes listening to music unbearable. Funny thing is it usually only does it when I'm riding with my wife and her headset is on. If I'm solo, I have no problem.

Either way, I found it was a good setting to keep off. Unless you have some really high end ear buds, you won't be able to tell anyways.
Thanks Dan,
I did see your PM about this and I really appreciate it. I'll try this later today. I can't go riding in this nasty weather so I may as well get this Sena system sorted out. If it doesn't work out, you'll no doubt hear from me again.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #2223
tbenzie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Smh5

Since this is the most active Sena headset thread - and happens to be the thread where I got my education - I thought I would post my very preliminary results of my SMH5, SR10 and PrymeBlu stuff.

Everything works as advertised for the most part:
-BT Intercom - 100 yards range out on the frozen lake. SMH5 advertised range is 500 yds I believe.
-Battery life - too cold to find out.
-SMH5/SR10 - Primary use is for 2-way radio interface. Worked great. *
-SMH5/PrymeBlu - So far, so good. Some pairing frustrations- but not surprised. *
-Sound clarity and volume - Snowmobile at 50+ mph across the lake - no problem hearing or understanding on the intercom and SR10 2-way radio transmission. Audio channel open lag - didn't notice any issues with this at all. *

* Here's an unreported difference between the SMH5 and SMH10: The reports are that the introduction of Multipoint Pairing in the SMH10 allows the audio stream from the SR10 to mix with the intercom audio on the headset -eg: A 2-way radio call coming through the SR10 will be heard simultaneously with the audio of a active intercom session. Not so with the SMH5. The Multipoint paired SR10 audio channel has priority and will cut out the intercom. The SR10 then closes the audio channel after the programmable time so intercom sessions can resume. However, The PrymeBlu radio dongle keeps the Multipoint HFP audio channel open so no intercom while using PrymeBlu stuff. I will be calling Sena today to find out if the audio mixing ability will be brought to the SMH5. I haven't paired my phone yet so not sure of the priorities of the nomally paired HFP phone and the multipoint paired HFP device.

EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) - The settings in the software have this disabled by default. It sure sounds like something that shoud be enabled but there must be a reason it's disabled as it comes from the manufacturer. Google tells me that BMW factory equipment works better with this off. Any thoughts on enabling it on non-BMW stuff?
tbenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2224
tbenzie
Adventurer

Quick followup - I just got off the phone with Sena inquiring about the mixing of the headset intercom audio and the audio stream from a multipoint paired SR10. The tech indicated it was not possible on the SMH10. I referred him to the various reports of that ability. He then changed his response to "We do not claim this ability". Sounded like this was the first they heard of it and, if it is indeed possible, it was unintentional.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #2225
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenzie View Post
Since this is the most active Sena headset thread - and happens to be the thread where I got my education - I thought I would post my very preliminary results of my SMH5, SR10 and PrymeBlu stuff.

Everything works as advertised for the most part:
-BT Intercom - 100 yards range out on the frozen lake. SMH5 advertised range is 500 yds I believe.
-Battery life - too cold to find out.
-SMH5/SR10 - Primary use is for 2-way radio interface. Worked great. *
-SMH5/PrymeBlu - So far, so good. Some pairing frustrations- but not surprised. *
-Sound clarity and volume - Snowmobile at 50+ mph across the lake - no problem hearing or understanding on the intercom and SR10 2-way radio transmission. Audio channel open lag - didn't notice any issues with this at all. *

* Here's an unreported difference between the SMH5 and SMH10: The reports are that the introduction of Multipoint Pairing in the SMH10 allows the audio stream from the SR10 to mix with the intercom audio on the headset -eg: A 2-way radio call coming through the SR10 will be heard simultaneously with the audio of a active intercom session. Not so with the SMH5. The Multipoint paired SR10 audio channel has priority and will cut out the intercom. The SR10 then closes the audio channel after the programmable time so intercom sessions can resume. However, The PrymeBlu radio dongle keeps the Multipoint HFP audio channel open so no intercom while using PrymeBlu stuff. I will be calling Sena today to find out if the audio mixing ability will be brought to the SMH5. I haven't paired my phone yet so not sure of the priorities of the nomally paired HFP phone and the multipoint paired HFP device.

EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) - The settings in the software have this disabled by default. It sure sounds like something that shoud be enabled but there must be a reason it's disabled as it comes from the manufacturer. Google tells me that BMW factory equipment works better with this off. Any thoughts on enabling it on non-BMW stuff?
Thanks for that feedback. What you are getting with the SMH5 paired to the PrymeBlu is exactly what happens when I pair my ham radio (Yaesu FTM-10SR) to the Sena. It keeps the channel open so you can't do any intercom stuff while you are connected. That was one of the main reasons I ended up getting the SR10. Does the Pryme only have an HFP profile?

That's very interesting about the difference in the Mult-Point pairing behavior on the SMH5 vs the SMH10. You would think they would act the same way, but I guess not? That definitely changes things for how you expected to use the devices.

As for EDR, I've tried it both ways and never could tell much difference. I thought by default on the SMH10 its enabled, but I could be wrong. It does say in there not to use with BMW like the K1600GT setup is one I know works better without that enabled.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #2226
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenzie View Post
Quick followup - I just got off the phone with Sena inquiring about the mixing of the headset intercom audio and the audio stream from a multipoint paired SR10. The tech indicated it was not possible on the SMH10. I referred him to the various reports of that ability. He then changed his response to "We do not claim this ability". Sounded like this was the first they heard of it and, if it is indeed possible, it was unintentional.
That's interesting since the manual of the SMH10 specifically mentions this ability to mix in the SR10 audio while on intercom. Did you tell him their manual states it does?

I should go back and check my SMH10 with the SR10 and see if the audio mixes, but I'm pretty certain it does.

Section 6.4 of the SMH10 v4.0 manual ater step 5.
Quote:
5. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the
SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.
The incoming audio from the two-way radio via SR10 is heard in
the background while having an intercom conversation or a mobile
phone call.
You can listen to music, answer a mobile call, have an
intercom conversation and use a two-way radio via SR10 for group
communication as shown in the figure below. A GPS navigation or
a radar detector could be connected to the SR10 by wire. The GPS
voice instruction or the radar detector alarm is also heard in the
background via SR10 while having an intercom conversation or a
phone call. Please refer to the SR10 user's guide for details.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 10:33 AM
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #2227
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Thanks for that feedback. What you are getting with the SMH5 paired to the PrymeBlu is exactly what happens when I pair my ham radio (Yaesu FTM-10SR) to the Sena. It keeps the channel open so you can't do any intercom stuff while you are connected. That was one of the main reasons I ended up getting the SR10. Does the Pryme only have an HFP profile?

That's very interesting about the difference in the Mult-Point pairing behavior on the SMH5 vs the SMH10. You would think they would act the same way, but I guess not? That definitely changes things for how you expected to use the devices.

As for EDR, I've tried it both ways and never could tell much difference. I thought by default on the SMH10 its enabled, but I could be wrong. It does say in there not to use with BMW like the K1600GT setup is one I know works better without that enabled.
As I mentioned earlier, I know for certain that other riders have heard radar alerts via intercom when I'm conversing with them and the SR-10 opens up the channel. But this may have come/gone/come back via firmware changes on the SMH-10.

Re: EDR, I too believe it is on by default on the SMH-10 and I've never experimented with turning it off. It's =possible= that the SMH-5 has less bandwidth to devote to this much signal processing??

-dan
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #2228
tbenzie
Adventurer

Quote:
... Does the Pryme only have an HFP profile?
Not sure. The manual is pretty sparse and there's not a whole lot of info about this equipment....at least I couldn't find anything regarding the pairing profile(s)

Quote:
...... Did you tell him their manual states it does? .....
He was very adamant about it - almost to the point of being rude. I hadn't read the SMH10 manual. I wish I had just to hear his response

Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
......Re: EDR, I too believe it is on by default on the SMH-10 and I've never experimented with turning it off. It's =possible= that the SMH-5 has less bandwidth to devote to this much signal processing??

-dan
That would make sense.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #2229
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I know for certain that other riders have heard radar alerts via intercom when I'm conversing with them and the SR-10 opens up the channel. But this may have come/gone/come back via firmware changes on the SMH-10.
The person I was riding with this weekend could clearly hear my GPS - but as it has no BT connection, they were simply hearing the GPS speaker. Testimony to the quality of the Sena mic. and ability to filter out wind noise. I tried several different ways to mix in my music (BT from Blackberry) with an intercom conversation and had no luck. IIRC, you can supposedly can mix in a phone conversation but I haven't tried it (or maybe that was just wishful thinking and it can't be done.)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #2230
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
The person I was riding with this weekend could clearly hear my GPS - but as it has no BT connection, they were simply hearing the GPS speaker. Testimony to the quality of the Sena mic. and ability to filter out wind noise. I tried several different ways to mix in my music (BT from Blackberry) with an intercom conversation and had no luck. IIRC, you can supposedly can mix in a phone conversation but I haven't tried it (or maybe that was just wishful thinking and it can't be done.)
You reminded me of this earlier, I think (brain cells, where are you?), but obviously I forgot about that.

-dan
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #2231
StriderTB
Strudel

Oddometer: 129
Just added the SMH-A0302 remote mic setup to my new Nolan N-104. I tried installing the SMH-10 without it, but it quickly became annoying having to deal with the boom mic, since it got in the way of the flip up chin curtain, and the visor mechanism. Adding the remote boom mic let me mount the mic on the right side of the helmet, using a factory cutout intended for Nolan's N-COM mic. It's all pretty seamless.

StriderTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #2232
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Strider:

Nice pic. You must play table hockey the way I used to, judging by the need to wear a Nolan [g].

-dan
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #2233
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Thanks Adam

Adam thanks for your help with ordering the correct Sena for my and my wife Neotec's.

The package arrived on time. Installation was fairly straightforward. All the parts I needed were included.

I recommend that you visit the rocketmoto .com website and view the Youtube video showing how to install the SMH in a helmet. Wish I had - would have saved some time and made it easier

I had a problem with one of the phones 'connecting' to the BT. The phone is a Galaxy II. The phone would say it was 'paired with the BT' but not 'connected' consequently I could not listen to music or make a phone call. I eventually solved the problem by: took the battery out of the phone,put the battery back in the phone; turned the phone on; and followed the instructions in the BT manual for pairing a phone to the BT, problem solved.

Also, thanks for the extra 'gift' that came with the BT package. That is something that has been on my list to buy. [ For those wondering what it is, you will just have to buy your Sena BT from Adam and find out }

I wonder where that road goes?

ShineySideUp screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:48 AM
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #2234
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,910
Just a comment regarding Rocket Moto service. I had a recent problem with my Sena Srh10. I was trying to do a system adjustment online and the next thing I knew the Sena wouldn't even turn on. I called Rocket Motor and left a message. Shortly afterwards Adam called me and began helping me troubleshoot the unit. I am NOT competent technically so his assistance was desperately needed. He very patiently walked me through a reset and asked me to call him back next time I used the unit. That was on Monday. To my surprise he called me back this morning to ask how it was working. Its a refreshing change to deal with someone who is generally concerned that his customers are satisfied with their equipment. Its really great to get this kind of customer care. Hats off to Rocket Motor and Adam !
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #2235
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 924
Thumb

Hey Shiney and Ace:

Thanks for the swell comments, guys -- it's encouragement like yours that keeps us in the game, here.

We really appreciate you letting us do what we do!
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote