User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #1276
1960FL
Venturer

Oddometer: 7
I bow to you!

I vote this as the next home page photo!

Just some great shots AH, love the whole series in DV.
1960FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #1277
Sweetzombiejesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpmaster View Post

Thanks for the great ride report and the inspiration to say 'fuck it' and get the bike you really want.

I picked up my Panigale S yesterday. What a glorious machine!
Milk Crate Mafia meets Italian masterpiece.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #1278
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,175
On feeding animals that retain some of their "wild ".
Once in my teens some friends and I drove my '66 Fairlane GTA east to Red River Gorge and on the way picked up sandwich makings and beer. In the gorge we went up the private road to Raven Rock. The road had been built up to the top of a pinnacle for tourism purposes before WW2.There was a small park at the summit and a caged bear was the only attraction beyond the veiws.
We thought it would be nice to share a beer with the bear. I poured one on one of the bars and the bear wrapped his tounge around the bar , not letting one drop be lost.
We went on to have our picnic of bolonga and cheese sandwich's and beer. After we'd finished there was half a loaf of bread left. And a hungry bear.
So. I climbed up on top of the cage that was half sunk into the hill and began feeding the bread to the bear. He was very gental and delicately took each slice daintily betwwen his teeth , never moveing in a way to raise alarm.
On the last slice ,I tore the bread in two halves . He took the first half as he had the others , but ,.on the second half he lunged his head forward and clamped down on the middle and ring fingers of my right hand. I pulled back as hard as I could but he held firm to my fingers. I don't know how much time went by as I stared into his eyes. He finally decided to let me keep my fingers and relaxed his jaw a bit. My sore fingers slid out from between his canine teeth bruised and missiing some skin.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #1279
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Barely coincidental that the following should pop up on Facebook this morning. This was posted by a neighbor here on Cape Cod:

"Just woke up to the most horrific and gruesome sounds coming from my hen house... Threw up my sheets, grabbed my hatchet and ran. Not knowing what to expect I approached with caution. Two dead chickens on the ground two more squawking in the coop. Got closer only to see a good sized coyote burst out of the doorway. Taken by my surprise and trapped he immediately turned on me. Bad move dude. You shoulda taken the first chicken and left when the get'n was good. Greed leads to nowhere good...Now I've got two dead chickens, two extremely disturbed chickens, one less coyote to worry about and a big bloody mess to clean up... Not exactly what I wanted for my Monday morning :( I'm just shocked that the coyote got over a 6' fence! Penny and Rudi, you will be missed! I thank you for your delicious eggs, amazing bug control in my gardens and all the wonderful energy you brought to the yard. Mr. Coyote, I'm sorry it ended like this. I'm sure you'll be missed by your family. May you all rest in peace. I think I need a long hot shower and a cup of tea.... I'm a wee bit too awake to go back to bed right now."

-dan
Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #1280
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960FL View Post
I bow to you!

+1 indeed
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #1281
Sgt93
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960FL View Post
I bow to you!

+1, great shot.
Sgt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #1282
tcuguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
+1, great shot.
+Thrice
tcuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #1283
NoSoup4U
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Incredible picture! They posted this on Ducati Facebook. Rightfully so! Hope you got compensated AH:)
NoSoup4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #1284
Lolodesiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Lolodesiles: I played it safe--when out in the middle of nowhere I'd stop and gas up even if I still had 2/3 of a tank left. And that saved my butt in a few instances--in some places there are no "next gas 130 miles" signs.
ok, but i mean "do you have enough range" with your bike?

i guess you don't have a gas station every 10 miles like in my small country
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #1285
02Deuce
Where next?

Oddometer: 12
AH, I came across your Ride Report back in November. I knew from the first page it was going to be epic. So I stretched it out and read a few pages every few days, savoring it like a fine meal. And here I'm catching up just as you near the end this most excellent adventure.

I've written down quotes and posted a few on Facebook for friends. I've forwarded links to various pages of this RR to biker and non-biker friends that appreciate great writing, fine food, and superb B&B's. Heck, I've saved links to a fair number of whole pages of your RR in my Favorites due to your pictures and thoughts, as well as the educational contributions from the other inmates of this institution!

So I want to thank you for... well, Thanks For Everything in this Ride Report. I have been looking at my past and worrying about my future for a while now, and this has energized me to start hunting, and catching, my dreams.

My wish is that your future continues to be huge! I suspect it will be!
02Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #1286
JamesM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Deuce View Post
AH, I came across your Ride Report back in November. I knew from the first page it was going to be epic. So I stretched it out and read a few pages every few days, savoring it like a fine meal. And here I'm catching up just as you near the end this most excellent adventure.
Hopefully Dennis does the right thing and releases a book. -Selfish? Hell yeah! Now get writing

JamesM screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 10:13 AM
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #1287
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
The latest Death Valley installment was epic, EPIC! Love the coyote encounter pics. Very cool!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #1288
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
As always, all of your comments are very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Hopefully Dennis does the right thing and releases a book. -Selfish? Hell yeah! Now get writing
Book is done. Just going through some final edits. :) But before anyone jumps to any conclusions, it's more of a coffee-table book with 60 pages of photos and some quotes from the R/R (and a couple that aren't). I've begun working on a novel, but it's going to take no short amount of time to finish it.

The book (the eye-candy one) will be available for the iPad or in hardback. The problem with the hardback is that printing costs are high. If I was to go to a printer and request X number of copies I'm sure there'd be a significant break in price, but then I'd have to be the one to distribute (hard to do without a mailing address). Plus I don't even know if I'd sell more than 2. I'll consider some other options, but it's taken no small amount of time (and three different mock-ups using three different book making tools) to finally get a finished 'product'.

If anyone would be interested in an e-book of this ride report (with deleted scenes, more commentary, etc.), please PM me so I can have some idea if it's a good or a bad idea.

Next chapter: Southern Californa!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #1289
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
Great ride report, AntiHero. by the way, where could I get some more photos of that yellow street fighter you were riding when your duc was being service? I like to get a M900 monster and build it into something like that
I believe it was a mostly stock Streetfighter 848.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #1290
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZvan View Post
I believe it was a mostly stock Streetfighter 848.
Exactly. Stock with Termis I think....
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote