Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #226
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
"The SR400, the TU250, the Honda 1100, the new Triumph twins, the W650 and W800, Royal Enfields, Suzuki S40, and Harleys are all my type of bike, but Harley has by far the most character still left. You need to change the pipes to get all that character, but it is there. Sitting on a Harley at idle feels like using a jackhammer, and they sound like a top fuel dragster. And the look of the ancient air cooled pushrod v-twin has no equal. I would consider RE, but they are just to unreliable. That 30+ year old Yamaha would not be unreliable. The original SR500 was very reliable, way moreso than the Harleys of the time, and it would be still be just as reliable today. No reason it would be any more unreliable than a Honda XR650 or Suzuki DR650. Honda and Suzuki should put those engines in a retro styled bike, no make that a real retro bike, like the SR400. Kickstart and all.

Bold New Graphics on the HD's are the shit.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #227
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,421
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851082

Half the price of the bike they won't bring here anyway.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #228
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,322
It would be so easy to make a tu650, but I suppose there is no market for it.
On large bikes, you can get a good seat, at least on some large bikes.

If I ever get any money, I may look for an sr500, at least test ride one.
I was in New Hope PA in the summer and had one ride by, and it looked and sounded fantastic.
It also looked to be a good size bike for an adult.
I suspect it would be easy and fun to work on also.
I just wonder if its ok running at 70 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I've long thought that an updated SR500 type bike using the DR650 motor, i.e. a TU650, would be a fantastic bike.

I'm not sure how much of the weight gain is attributable to the rubber mount frame, but 2004 Sportsters actually weigh about 75 lbs more than the older rigid mounts. Approx. 500 pounds, depending on model, to 575 lbs.

The most comfortable stock seat I've had on a bike was a sprung cop seat on a '91 HD FXRP. The next most comfortable was a '90 Honda Hawk GT of all things.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #229
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,443
After more than 225 posts has anyone thought of contacting Yamaha USA and asking them?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #230
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
So many of you guys say you'd buy one, but if they brought it here, they'd sell about 14 of them. Same with the SRX600. Someone mentioned the CB1100F. They were here. They sold a few of them, not a lot. Same with the BKing Suzuki, a lot of people said they'd buy one if they brought it. They did, you didn't.

I've noticed. A lot of people say they'd buy this, they'd buy that, but when it comes down to it, it was just pipe dreams. I hear these excuses, well, the tank holds .2 of a gallon less than I want, it only comes in black or Kawasaki green, I want chartruese. It's got chrome handlebars, and I want clip-ons. It's got clip-ons, I want chrome handlebars. It's injected, I want carbs. It's carbureted, I want injection. It's got a 19 inch front wheel, I want a 21 or 17. It's got Pirellis, I wanted Bridgestones. The grips are different than what I'm used to.

I'm convinced that a lot of people say that they will buy this or that, but they have no intention of buying anything (or can't buy anything due to their finances or marriage issues or whatever). Am I right?

If there is something I want, I buy it. Right now, that is an Aprilia Tuono V4. In the next year, I'll have one. I'm working 60+ hours a week right now moving towards getting one. But when I have the money, there might be something else, maybe the new big KTM 1190. We'll see.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #231
NJ-Brett
Brett

It would be pointless I suspect.
The only hope it that some big shot makes the usual stupid blunder and decides to sell it here.

For a street bike in the US, its got to be very fast, big, and modern looking, or a huge sled that looks like a Harley and has every option know to mankind, or its not going to sell.

If the SR400 does not vibrate real bad at 70 mph, I would buy one if I had the money.
Maybe even if I did not have the money.
Its a VERY short list of new bikes I might buy, and its way more expensive (Guzzi V7).

New bikes I want list:
TU250 (I have 2 of them now),
W850,
V7
CB400ss if still made,
SR400.

That is it for my new street bike list.
Since money is always an issue, the SR400 looks like it would be at the top of the list.
The w800 is more then I need or is good for me, the V7 might be too small in size.

So yes, if they imported it, I would buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
After more than 225 posts has anyone thought of contacting Yamaha USA and asking them?
Lyle
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #232
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
So many of you guys say you'd buy one, but if they brought it here, they'd sell about 14 of them. Same with the SRX600. Someone mentioned the CB1100F. They were here. They sold a few of them, not a lot. Same with the BKing Suzuki, a lot of people said they'd buy one if they brought it. They did, you didn't.

I've noticed. A lot of people say they'd buy this, they'd buy that, but when it comes down to it, it was just pipe dreams. I hear these excuses, well, the tank holds .2 of a gallon less than I want, it only comes in black or Kawasaki green, I want chartruese. It's got chrome handlebars, and I want clip-ons. It's got clip-ons, I want chrome handlebars. It's injected, I want carbs. It's carbureted, I want injection. It's got a 19 inch front wheel, I want a 21 or 17. It's got Pirellis, I wanted Bridgestones. The grips are different than what I'm used to.

I'm convinced that a lot of people say that they will buy this or that, but they have no intention of buying anything (or can't buy anything due to their finances or marriage issues or whatever). Am I right?

Yep.

Try being a product development person in the motorcycle industry. (I no longer do that) People are almost impossible to please.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #233
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,178
Quote:

If there is something I want, I buy it. Right now, that is an Aprilia Tuono V4. In the next year, I'll have one. I'm working 60+ hours a week right now moving towards getting one. But when I have the money, there might be something else, maybe the new big KTM 1190. We'll see.

You're mostly right - but often what the OEM's tease us with is not the same as what they bring to the showroom floor. The B-King is a prime example. Plus one's opinion of a bike can change once you have the chance to see it, and/or throw a leg over it.

As for me, though, I try not to say i would buy something I haven't seen. I feel like if you say you are going to do something, you should do it, There are lots of bikes out there I would like to have, but I suspect it will be a few years before I can actually buy another bike. I like the CB1100 and NC700 Hondas, the Versys 1000 and 650. If Honda brings the Crossrunner I would be very interested. Can't buy them all...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #234
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851082

Half the price of the bike they won't bring here anyway.
Can it be ridden 400 miles? I would definitely buy that bike at that price if it is as good mechanically as it looks.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #235
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Can it be ridden 400 miles? I would definitely buy that bike at that price if it is as good mechanically as it looks.

I isn't mine but I'm sure it is as capable as any SR500 built that long ago. 400 miles wasn't a real obstacle in the 1970s, even with a 2 stroke!

But I bet you are sick of it within 100!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #236
NJ-Brett
Brett

I bet you would say that about most bikes I have loved...

Quote:
I isn't mine but I'm sure it is as capable as any SR500 built that long ago. 400 miles wasn't a real obstacle in the 1970s, even with a 2 stroke!

But I bet you are sick of it within 100!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #237
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I bet you would say that about most bikes I have loved...

And you mine!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #238
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
And you mine!
You guys should get a room.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #239
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You guys should get a room.
I doubt we could agree on what channel to have on the TV.

Matlock or 21 Jump street?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #240
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I just wonder if its ok running at 70 mph.
The answer to that question appears to be, 'sort of'... Here's a quote from a post written by an owner on another forum:

There is little that is different in the 400 and 500 engines. Almost all parts are the same, the main difference being the crank, which in the 400 creates a different stroke reducing the capacity to 399cc. This does however make a real difference to the way the engines feel. The 400 prefers 6-800rpm higher in most situations – whether it comes to getting the power on, cruising on the highway, or lugging along. It also revs more easily. If I was building a café racer I’d seriously consider the 400 over the 500, as I have seen others do (who go out of their way to secure a 400 crank for their 500). It is a more revvy engine and arouses more adrenalin in me than the 500. It feels more sporty. The 500 is much nicer for chugging along while fantasising about the upright big singles those gentlemen of old rode. On the 500 I find myself rarely leaving the 3000-4000rpm range, and on the 400 I'm more inclined to sit between 4000 and 5000rpm.

At 100kph the 500 sits on about 4,200rpm, though this can be lowered slightly without problems by use of a 17 tooth counter-shaft sprocket, rather than the stock 16. The 400 does about 4,900rpm. Ironically the 400 feels less strained on the highway than the 500. This is important because both engines feel strained at 100kph. They are both capable of running all day at that rpm, but unless you’re a petrol head or are used to making bikes scream, you might find your sense of mechanical sympathy causes you to wince, and to prefer 90kph. For this reason the SRs are not great highway touring bikes. They can do it, they have done plenty of it over the years, and I have done 600 to 700km days many, many times. But I have to constantly over-rule the nervousness that the strain arouses in me with the knowledge of the cold fact that I’m doing no damage. And I find that my throttle hand feels over-worked by the day’s end, as though strained in sympathy with the tension of the bike. You have to remember that the SR is essentially the XT500 dirt bike tarted up with street-going clothes. It has the dirt bike’s gear ratios. To be fair however, I really only notice this on my long Mallee rides - on straight hot roads that stretch ahead with no change of direction or heat. The sensation of strain seems much less apparent on winding roads even when riding for a long time. The ambient temperature also makes a difference - the SR likes the cold rather than the heat.

link to the thread, you might find it of interest.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote