Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #15421
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Pluric "If the weather ever breaks I'm going to try one of those Triumphs.
All I keep hearing is how fun that triple is. The FZ may just have to
move over. Until then just have to grin an bear it."

You can ride mine next summer Pluric, if you promise not to taco my rims!! ;0)
Thank you for the generous offer. I've been on rides with an 800 and didn't know the
owners well enough to suggest a short trade. As far as the rims....just put them on my
standing Woody's account.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #15422
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Ha Ha!! The folks at Woody's know you well, don't they?!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #15423
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Ha Ha!! The folks at Woody's know you well, don't they?!!
They know my wallet better.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #15424
NABRXX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
3 days in with my new 800xc

I had an 09 gs800 and unfortunately wrecked it (and myself) in july of 2012. The good news is that I am back at work and just picked up the 2013 green 800xc. I only have 85 miles on it in mostly wet conditions but I have a couple of insights on the bike comparing it to the gs. The motor is much smoother and the ABS seems to be more advanced on XC. The only thing the beemer seemed to do better than the xc is the self canceling blinkers. The Triumph is extra stubborn with its brand of non canceling blinkers....even after turning the bike off with the blinker on...it will start blinking the next time you start it. I am looking forward to uncorking this motor after the initial service is complete...oh yeah, the rumor is true...the green ones make more HP. Stay well inmates. I am loving this bike.
NABRXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #15425
DennyMyBoy
Hoping for a Tiger

Oddometer: 31
Fair Price for an Unsold 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC?

I live in the northeast USA, and leaning strongly toward the Tiger 800XC. Or at least I was until I spotted photos of the new Tiger Sport!

There is a brand new one sitting on the floor of a nearby dealer. Been there for much of the past year. Color white which I like but may not be as much in demand. List price is $11,999, plus destination of something like $800.

My question is, how much of a discount do you think the dealer might be open to? I know this is highly subjective and dependent upon a ton of variables. Wondering about going in with cash in hand and offering $2,000 or more off the price . . . since its the dead of winter, its now 2013 and that bike is a 2012, and the new bikes (including the afore mentioned Tiger Sport) keep being introduced.

Thanks for the suggestions.
DennyMyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #15426
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
I live in the northeast USA, and leaning strongly toward the Tiger 800XC. Or at least I was until I spotted photos of the new Tiger Sport!

There is a brand new one sitting on the floor of a nearby dealer. Been there for much of the past year. Color white which I like but may not be as much in demand. List price is $11,999, plus destination of something like $800.

My question is, how much of a discount do you think the dealer might be open to? I know this is highly subjective and dependent upon a ton of variables. Wondering about going in with cash in hand and offering $2,000 or more off the price . . . since its the dead of winter, its now 2013 and that bike is a 2012, and the new bikes (including the afore mentioned Tiger Sport) keep being introduced.

The 1050 sport is definitely a road-going touring bike. It has been well liked, is a nice alternative to the likes of a Ducati Multistrada, KZ1100, etc. If you have any inclination of using the bike off pavement the XC would be a far better choice. There were rumors of that model being discontinued, but it looks like they've revived it for 2013.

IMO you would be doing good to get the bike for msrp plus tax, no add-on fees. That's about a $500 discount by taking off the shipping costs. If you could get it out the door at msrp even better. I doubt you would see any huge discounts on any of these bikes, but I could be wrong. You could always try to negotiate a deal if that's what you really want.

Nice article on the bike here: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...iew/20382.html

As a side note, there are some real bargains on late model used tiger 1050s. I've seen them well under ten grand.

2012 Tiger 1050SE

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #15427
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:

I bought a 2012 in November for $10,800 + tax... That's $1200 below suggested retail with free delivery and set up...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #15428
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:

There is a brand new one sitting on the floor of a nearby dealer.
AFAIK the "Sport" Tiger is a brand new model and your "new one" will be the old model. Easy to check. If it has a single sided swingarm it IS the Tiger Sport. If not, it's the old cooking model. Still a nice bike though.
New model http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-tiger-sport
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #15429
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:

If I read your post right, you're asking about an 800xc that's been there for the entire year?
If so, I bought my 2011 white(best cooler)XC in January 2012 for $2100 off OTD price. They had a lot of 2012's sitting there and didn't want it to look like they were not a hot seller-bike hasn't changed since introduced except for frame colors and of tank/fender
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #15430
DennyMyBoy
Hoping for a Tiger

Oddometer: 31
Sweet Deal for an 800XC

Just to clarify my original question, yes, its the 2012 Tiger 800XC that has been on the show room floor of the dealer for quite some time, and that I am on the verge of making an offer on.

Appreciate the many responses. Especially the guy in FL who bought one for a $2100 discount. Sweet deal! Any advice on how to achieve such success? What approach did you take with the negotiations?

Thanks
DennyMyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #15431
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
The 1050 is a great bike with a great motor. My issue is the lack of electrical output as compared to the 800. I run two up in cold weather so I have got to be able to run two sets of heated gear. I hesitate to call the other a thing a problem but I can flat foot my 800. I cant get my heels down on the 1050.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #15432
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Just to clarify my original question, yes, its the 2012 Tiger 800XC that has been on the show room floor of the dealer for quite some time, and that I am on the verge of making an offer on.

Appreciate the many responses. Especially the guy in FL who bought one for a $2100 discount. Sweet deal! Any advice on how to achieve such success? What approach did you take with the negotiations?

Thanks
Iffen you be talkin' 'bout me, it's in California . Just pointed out the # of 2012's they had sittin' there, with 2 lonely 2011's. Made the offer and they took it, and got 30% off the center stand and crash bars, free install and re-map with the Arrow cans. They musta been happy with the deal 'cuz they continue to give me at least 15% off everything else I've bought in the last year. Good luck. They'll deal if it's been there all year, and they'll want to sell you farkles, so what's to lose?
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #15433
H1ippo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Unrelated to the discussion but still about the instrument pod, does anybody know if the silver trim ring can be detached from the pod without damage. I want to paint it black as I don't like the visual distraction,
Currently have black electrical tape on it but that only lasts for 6 months before it starts peeling off.

Asked the tech at the dealer but they don't ever go into the pod, just replace the whole unit if there are any problems, of which there have been almost none.

The silver trim ring should come off ok, with a bit of persistence/leverage. I know since I have bought a Tiger 800 project that has a damaged speedo (with part of the silver trim ring missing). It looks like it just presses into the speedo face but with some clips at regular intervals round it. I'll try and take a photo over the weekend if you like.

... and if you do take it off ... can I have it? ;)

p.s. I need a new face for mine. It comes off easily with just 6 screws but Triumph don't sell the just face as a part just a complete speedo for 700+. They say they are tied by the mfr who won't sell it separately like they used to on older models
H1ippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #15434
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
I was exactly same way until I got more into riding my Tiger.
Now I don't know why anyone would want to see his odometer. Time/distance to destination shown by GPS.
Only reason I always needed ODO was to think when to refuel and to check very roughly when to service (definitely not something I check when riding).
I'd gladly swap odometer on any bike with "distance to refuel" system on tiger (it uses both float and measuring fuel flow to intake).
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #15435
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
This is a nonissue to me too. On my V-Strom, which can display the regular odometer instead of one of the trip odometers, I still always had it set to display the trip odo so I could see how far I'd gone since refueling. I came from bikes with no fuel gauges, so I long ago got in the habit of using the odo for that purpose, and on the V-Strom and now the Tiger, that didn't completely change. I still like to know how far I've gone on each tank.

The short odo display on startup is plenty for maintenance schedules, etc.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote