Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #16576
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Just curious. I'm thinking about getting a scrambler after I sell my KLR. Does anyone sell a rear rack that I can attach a topcase to, and still retain the passenger seat? I see the Metal Mule in the post above, but that company is in the UK. I'm not sure about shipping.
If all you want is a top case there are lots of options. I have a Renntec rack that held a topcase, and I'd be glad to sell you (it's the one that was on my Scrambler before I put the Metal Mule racks on.) PM me for details.

Top case not included (I'm still using it) but you can see how easily it attaches.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #16577
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Is yours EFI?
I suggest load-testing the battery, if you can. Don't expect a static voltage in the 14v range, even after charging. IMO, static voltage should be above 12.6v after charging, however.
Took it off the charger after about 45 minutes. Meter did show it at just over 14V. Reconnected it to the bike, and it fired right up without issue. Took the bike out for a short 50 mile ride. It's misting and foggy, and just all around terrible, but at least it's not freezing cold. Shut the bike off while I unbolted the seat, and then reconnected the multimeter to the battery terminals. 12.96V. Started the bike up, and with it running at idle, the meter fluctuated around 13.1-13.2. Pulled out the fast idle knob, and it raised itself to 13.38. Opening the throttle to an even higher RPM, and couldn't get a reading higher than 13.55V

I'm decent with car repair, and I guess that's where my concern comes in at, since on a car, alternators should put out somewhere between 14-16V. Do my bike's values seem normal and that non-start earlier was just Lucas's ghost having some fun? Or am I right in thinking they seem low and I might actually have a problem somewhere?

And yes, it is an EFI bike.

Mastodon screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 03:09 PM
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #16578
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
...And yes, it is an EFI bike.

Ahhh...thought so. You need enough juice to run the fuel pump, fire the injectors, & run the starter.

How old is the battery? What is the static voltage when it sits for say 24 hours without running? IMO, if it is less than 12.6v, it ain't gonna pass a load test anyhow.

It is possible that your rectifier is contributing, but that may not be the whole story. With what is known at this point my money is on the battery.

Did you check & verify the battery terminal connections also?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #16579
vonfink13
2013 Scrambler

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Inspired by the last few pages of this thread, I went ahead and painted my heat shields with some high-temp rattle can paint w/ ceramic. I used 3 coats of Rustoleum's 2000F flat black this time, with one coat of their primer underneath. Did a few curing cycles in my oven, for fun.

The paint matches the other black parts almost perfectly, I am very happy with the finish...it takes the sting out of the chrome pipes until I can replace them with something else next season. Anyways, thanks for the motivation ADVrider!
i am absolutely loving those black heat shields....that is gonna be my winter project on my 2013 in matte granite ...any tips or tricks you could send my way would be much appreciated and i see you posted a much more recent pic and it looks like the paint stuck to the shields really well...any troubles or problems...?..thanks....
vonfink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #16580
fotopat
Pat / Cleveland, OH

Oddometer: 105
Hepco Becker Rack

Hepco & Becker do a rack for the scrambler. Good range of topcases too.

I bought one of these Hepco Becker Racks for my Scrambler - nice fit and finish, installs easily - but my Hepco Becker top case that I use on my GS won't fit - the tubing on the new rack is a larger diameter than the tubing on the GS rack. Anybody familiar with this problem? Got a solution? The folks in VA at Capital Cycle where I got the rack were no help.

photos on shutterfly

photos on flickr

photos on panoramio

photos on SmugMug

fotopat on facebook

fotopat screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 06:48 AM Reason: to correct info
fotopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #16581
vonfink13
2013 Scrambler

Oddometer: 13

been hanging around this forum since i got my scrambler in Oct...thought it was finally time to register...loads and loads of great info in here...here is a pic of my bike..i am looking forward to the 2013 riding season..i have about 2100 miles on her already and most of those miles were in some pretty chilly temps...[IMG][/IMG]
vonfink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #16582
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post

This one is simular to a low price

LUGGAGE RACKS 39.99
at tecbikeparts

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #16583
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonfink13 View Post
been hanging around this forum since i got my scrambler in Oct...thought it was finally time to register...loads and loads of great info in here...here is a pic of my bike..i am looking forward to the 2013 riding season..i have about 2100 miles on her already and most of those miles were in some pretty chilly temps...[IMG][/IMG]

Congrats, that's my new favorite color
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #16584
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Ahhh...thought so. You need enough juice to run the fuel pump, fire the injectors, & run the starter.

How old is the battery? What is the static voltage when it sits for say 24 hours without running? IMO, if it is less than 12.6v, it ain't gonna pass a load test anyhow.

It is possible that your rectifier is contributing, but that may not be the whole story. With what is known at this point my money is on the battery.

Did you check & verify the battery terminal connections also?
Not quite 24 hrs, but I let it sit overnight, 14 hours, roughly the same as bit did a couple nights ago after my service. It's a brand new battery, and even though I have the aux power socket, I don't have anything plugged into it. Leads are securely connected to the battery.

Bike off: 12.88V
Lights on: 12.6V
Fuel pump on: 12.38V
Bike running @ idle: 12.48V
Bike running @ fast idle: 13.1V
Bike running @ high rev: 13.5V
Bike running @ even higher rev: 13.4V
Bike off: 12.9V

Did some looking on TriumphrRat (is it just me, or does it seem like there's more ads than posts there?) and it seems like these values are pretty normal for a bike. I'm troubleshooting it as if it were a car, but I learned the charging system is completely different on these and 90% of other bikes compared to autos.

So, I'm stumped...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #16585
fotopat
Pat / Cleveland, OH

Oddometer: 105
2013 Scrambler

Picked up new in mid November - added the single seat that I got at a good price from a fellow inmate - am loving this bike - now if the weather would just cooperate - where's global warming and climate change when you need it!?

photos on shutterfly

photos on flickr

photos on panoramio

photos on SmugMug

fotopat on facebook
fotopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #16586
DoubleCafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotopat View Post
Picked up new in mid November - added the single seat that I got at a good price from a fellow inmate - am loving this bike - now if the weather would just cooperate - where's global warming and climate change when you need it!?

Great color! BTW, global warming has hit Georgia, it was in the low 70's this weekend.
2013 Ural T - "Death Proof Duck" Edition
1982 Montesa Cota 349, 1974 Yamaha TY 250 & 1974 TY 80
DoubleCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #16587
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotopat View Post

I bought one of these Hepco Becker Racks for my Scrambler - nice fit and finish, installs easily - but my Hepco Becker top case that I use on my GS won't fit - the tubing on the new rack is a larger diameter than the tubing on the GS rack. Anybody familiar with this problem? Got a solution? The folks in VA at Capital Cycle where I got the rack were no help.

Yep mine was the same , I hogged out the plastic that the tubing fit into , after 2 years that broke , then I put a peice of 1" alum angle in place of it , that seems to work good . I was a bit muffed by it not fitting too .
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #16588
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Ok, so...came home from work at about 3, and tried to start the bike again. Nothing. Hooked up the multi-meter and here's the readings:

Off: 12.54V
Lights: 12.48V
Fuel Pump: 12.11V
Attempt to start: flickered down to 11.37V

The battery lost almost .5 volts in 6 hours of sitting.

Went through the process again a few moments ago:
Off: 12.48V
Lights: 12.21V
Fuel Pump: 11.96V

Saw this thread on TriumphRat, which pretty much describes my issue exactly, and I'm curious if anyone else has had similar problem.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...y-problem.html
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #16589
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonfink13 View Post
i am absolutely loving those black heat shields....that is gonna be my winter project on my 2013 in matte granite ...any tips or tricks you could send my way would be much appreciated and i see you posted a much more recent pic and it looks like the paint stuck to the shields really well...any troubles or problems...?..thanks....
Yes, the paint has stuck really well ~6k miles and no problems. I just followed the directions on the spray cans re: temp curing in the oven, it involved multiple temps/cycles of heating and cooling...one other thing I remember doing was scuffing the chrome a bit with some 1000-2000 wet grit and making sure to use that priming coat first, then two-three coats of the granite. Best of luck to you!
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #16590
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
Went through the process again a few moments ago:
Off: 12.48V
Lights: 12.21V
Fuel Pump: 11.96V

Battery is likely toast. What specifically did you charge it with?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote