User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #15451
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Tenere and power...

My bike before the Tenere was a 2003 Yamaha R1, before that an FZ1. They would utterly crush and kill the tenere on the road in any situation requiring speed or handling. That applies to my wifes R6 too.

But who buys a tenere to run like a sport bike? Nobody I hope.

The difference is in power delivery. The tenere has a very nice flat torque curve. It doesn't produce most of its power on the top end like a sport bike. But distributes that power over a much larger RPM range. It is designed to have power available under any circumstance. And that comes at a cost. Top end won't be there. But at the same time, it blows away the FZ1 for 2 up riding. There is less of an impact on performance on the Tenere. I can hardly tell when I have a rider on back. On the FZ1 the bike felt like it was being held back at lower RPMs (not so much at high). For 2 up riding, the Tenere is the king. The tenere is more of a tractor than a dragster. It is a purpose built bike.

going from an R1 to a Tenere... I love the Tenere and would never go back to the R1. You can ride on a Tenere for 10 hours in a day with very little discomfort (assuming breaks). It goes off road. you can load it down with gear and a passenger and you can barely tell you loaded the bike up. The bike is simply a joy to ride.

Teneres for everyone!
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #15452
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

I think you know my experience with late model GS humiliation. I will say they have
a very visable tail light.
Right Pluric, GS's have tailights....that work.....sometimes. I used my GS12 on dirt most of the time & dirt clogged switches on that kraut ABS system often.When it did, the tail light went out. Headlight burned out OFTEN. Thank gawd for my Tenere. It just goes,period. 2 up,long distance on the Tenere? The wife likes the Tenere TONNES better than that stinkie German thing.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #15453
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I think you know my experience with late model GS humiliation. I will say they have a very visable tail light.

I actually have no clue whether a Multi will be quicker than a FJR - I rode a Multi and my impression was "Holy shit!!!". Some bikes might be just as fast or faster, maybe not as abrupt or whatever, it was just that the Multi really left an impression of accelerating really fast while many others didn't. Though that might have to do with the fact that the 2010 Multi I rode ran like shit below 4k, so I was already in the sweet spot for power, while on a smooth and nice running engine I tend to be ride in a much lower rev range.

Regarding visible tail light: I love this mod and will try to add it to all my bikes in the future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMFHy...layer_embedded

Unfortunately I didn't help me scaring that stupid deer from the road ... need a weapon to blast things out of my way ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #15454
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,239
Other than drag racing, straight line performance differences between the GS and S10 (or pretty much any bikes in a similar class) are pretty meaningless. When the road turns twisty the better rider will be out front.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #15455
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
I see my "freight train" comment went over like a fart in church.

I used to track and dyno test turbo 'Busas...which, coincidently, some of the riders described as pulling "like a freight train". That description (for the 'Busas) was wrong, in my very humble opinion. To me, they always pulled more like a cruise missile.

I never saw a freight train spin any of its wheels at 100+ MPH. I have, however, seen a buttload of turbo bikes do that. To me, you haven't lived until the bike you're riding turns its rear tire into a ball of smoke, at over triple digits. Talk about "ass pucker"...

Anyhow, back to the ST...

In my not-so-eloquent way, I was trying to dote on the flat torque curve of the it. I was trying to get the exact point across that Specterx did such a fine job of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specterx View Post
...The difference is in power delivery. The tenere has a very nice flat torque curve. It doesn't produce most of its power on the top end like a sport bike. But distributes that power over a much larger RPM range. It is designed to have power available under any circumstance. And that comes at a cost. Top end won't be there. But at the same time, it blows away the FZ1 for 2 up riding. There is less of an impact on performance on the Tenere. I can hardly tell when I have a rider on back. On the FZ1 the bike felt like it was being held back at lower RPMs (not so much at high). For 2 up riding, the Tenere is the king. The tenere is more of a tractor than a dragster. It is a purpose built bike...

And, my initial post came only because I had the same "WTF?" reaction as Domromer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I swear to Christ I will lose my shit if I hear anyone worrying about a 1000cc bike not having enough power for touring two up...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #15456
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I see my "freight train" comment went over like a fart in church.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #15457
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
take your time and squeeze more in a little splash at a time to get up and around the expansion area of the tank...

and if you push it like that...carry one of these...= 10 miles of ride...but for you, we better say 8 miles ...

...fits perfect in one of these....

Have we met? The reason I ask is that it seems like you know me.

It never fails; If everyone else is averaging 55 MPG, I'll be getting about 40. If they're gettin' 45, I'm gettin' about 35. It's been that way for about as long as I can remember.

My ST is averaging 35, right now (haven't reset the meter since the bike came-out of the crate)...

After my little aerobic ordeal, the other night, I was thinkin' about grabbin' one of those MSRs or Primuses. Right now, I'm wonderin' if it'll mount under the OEM panniers.

Thanks for the reply...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #15458
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
If I told my wife I was tradin the Tenere in for a "better" 2-up ride, she would surely ask why.

The one answer I could NOT give her is "it's underpowered".

She has looked over my shoulder and seen 95-100 mph SO MANY TIMES as we made our way around folks that weren't properly taking advantage of the 75mph speed limits around Texas. :)

Loaded to max GVW, this bike is unburdened gobbling up miles.
It is more like an F350 than a F150 in how it puts the power down. But I rather like that.

Come to think about it though, I'm not sure how I could answer her "why" and be convincing. She loves being on the back of this thing. She'll go anywhere with me now. First bike in 30 years of trying. I'm not gonna mess with that.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #15459
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specterx View Post

"Tower to blue Tenere. You are cleared for landing on runway two"
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #15460
Xeroo
sweeet!

Oddometer: 20
is that the New time machine ??

i need to get back to the future!!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #15461
RoverDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Rally for next year? (FEB-APR '14)

Team AdvRider,

I am about to deploy...again...and would love to go for a long ride after I return next year. I am currently in NC, and willing to ride to most locations on the East Coast. Thinking about heading north/northeast for a week...just go where ever the road takes me.

Anyone know of any rides/rallies planned this far out? If not, do you all know a good website/source I could use to start tracking them?

I appreciate it.

It kills me to put my ST in 'storage mode,' but it does provide me with something to look fwd to upon my return!

Cheers.
Harbinger Of Fate: In the roads we travel, our destination is always a tiny speck on the horizon where it meets the greeting dawn. Many of the roads we travel down a harbinger of fate waits for us there to change our destiny from the one we have chosen... - David Harris
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #15462
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
When that's in the higher positions it looks like it would let a lot of air in from the bottom....is that a problem?
Hey, read the thread or else Dallara will be 'round to "have a word".

Post 15046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Just fitted a set of Tobinators to my screen........

My initial impression is that on full height fully forward they have made a difference to the amount of wind that is hitting my helmet but not as much of a difference that fitting the Yamaha winglets made. I'm 6'4" and have the seat on the high setting, plus an extra 1/4 inch lift on the front of the seat. I think that with the OE screen and the Tobinators on full height I now have too much air coming under the screen. I will be doing some experiments with tape and card to try to block off the air flow under the screen but I think that the ideal for me may well be the Yamaha Touring screen plus the Tobinators.
To continue on from the above, having done some card and tape testing

I have confirmed that for me there is too much air coming under the screen when it is a full height on the Tobinators so I have now ordered the Yamaha Touring screen and will report back when it arrives.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #15463
spklbuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDan View Post
Team AdvRider,

I am about to deploy...again...and would love to go for a long ride after I return next year. I am currently in NC, and willing to ride to most locations on the East Coast. Thinking about heading north/northeast for a week...just go where ever the road takes me.

Anyone know of any rides/rallies planned this far out? If not, do you all know a good website/source I could use to start tracking them?

I appreciate it.

It kills me to put my ST in 'storage mode,' but it does provide me with something to look fwd to upon my return!

Cheers.

I hear WV has an open border and the folks there are most respectful of our veterans...not to mention the fair to middlin' riding.
spklbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #15464
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedScot View Post
I've got my eye on this beauty.

Oh..and will I look a complete knob riding a Worldcrosser on the road??

Much appreciated
Go on - you know you want to!

I may look a complete knob when riding the Worldcrosser (I may look like a complete knob full stop!) but at least when riding the Worldcrosser I look like a happy complete knob!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #15465
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Tim that's a very good looking bike!!
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote