Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #3781
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renman1117 View Post
Got me thinking about getting serious regarding the rear wheel situation. I called Woody Wheel Works this afternoon and was quoted $700.00 plus shipping for redoing my 5.50 x 17 rear wheel. Basically donating my hub and they supply everything else. I would like to keep my 5.50 x 17 intact for road work so I googled 09 Stelvio rear hub and ended up talking to Curtis Harper at Harpers Moto Guzzi in K.C. He said that he had just went through this same inquiry last week and ended up being able to order an entire rear wheel 4.25 x 17 from the warehouse for around $370.00 He is going to call me back tomorrow when the Guzzi parts site comes back up, to check availability. Thats a pretty good deal. Last time I looked I think the price on Guzzitech was over $1000.00 for a new rear wheel.

Cliff
A quick check of AF1 Racing shows the Behr 4.25 x 17 is $437.99 (part #883433 for Stelvio NTX). By comparison, the 5.5 x 17 for the '09 Stelvio (part # 978849) is listed at $787.99, which seems about right. $370 seems like a really good deal.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #3782
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Scott...I'm the same guy. Although I really liked that Multi I was happy to switch over to my NTX. Here's the plus/minus from my point of view.

My Multi had Ohlins F&R set up for my weight. That was wonderful suspension and will be hard to equal anywhere. I had the transmission gears micro polished so the shifting was nothing short of amazing. With high compression pistons and boaring out to 1123cc I had 90 hp at the rear wheel. If I took the db killers out of the Arrow exhaust I'd gain another 10 but the noise was more than I liked. The bike did, indeed, feel much lighter than the real weight. The rest of the story: My tank was replaced by Ducati but it was just a matter of time before I would have the swelling problem again and a replacement tank would be $1K. The centerstand liked to drag on left hand turns until I cranked up the suspension link. It was a royal PITA to do any work on the bike because in most cases I had to take the tank off to get to anything. Taking the tank off was a big deal. If I ever dropped the bike I could see big bucks for any repair to the plastic so going off pavement was really not something I'd ever do. The 220 mile range was OK but almost left me walking a couple times. The dry clutch was a $500 expense every 12-15K (basket and plates), belts were $90 every 12K/2 years, checking/adjusting the valves took me a week every winter, and I seemed to be the only person who did not bitch about the stock seat...there really were no options so why complain..the tank design made it really difficult to do much to the seat without adding lots to the seat height.

The NTX really is a heavy bike....but about normal for bikes in the class. NTX is 616 lbs, BMW GS Adventure is 618 when equipped with equal stuff. The weight would only be an issue if you dropped the bike, otherwise I do not notice it because the bike does not feel that heavy. Moto Guzzi did a good job of hiding the actual capacity of the tank, 8.5 gal! The NTX, on the showroom floor, is almost totally farkled out...crash bars, bash plate, comfy seat, aux lights, really good headlight, LED tail light, hand guards, adjustable windscreen, Brembo radial brakes, decent suspension, and pre wired for GPS and heated grips. The grip kit is about $120 and easy to install. The fuel gauge actually works and you can rely on it...not so my Multi. The dash gives just about any information you can ask for except oil temp. Except for clutch replacement, every routine maintenance action is dead simple. I can check the valves in about 20 minutes and without taking anything off the bike except one rubber plug and the valve covers. Clutches seem to last darn near forever. No chain.

So far I have about 6800 miles on the big girl and no complaints. I have added a Russell Day Long seat and will be swapping out the aux lights for some LED ones. In the first month of ownership I rode to Wyoming and back in a week. Loved it. The bike likes to cruise at the same speeds as the Multi. 6th gear is nice but I find myself in 5th lots of the time.

I'd recommend taking a ride on the NTX if you can find one to demo. You may as well keep the Multi because they seem to depreciate pretty fast and you probably won't get what the bike is really worth. Unfortunately, I believe the Multi will be your garage queen if you have both.

Oh, re Darien pants...I have two pair and use them for lots of my long trips when I want more flexibility of what to wear. Mine do not leak. They are not stylish but, as you know, I'm not one for high fashion.

Hope some of this helps...good to hear from you again!
Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do like the simple valve check, etc, on the Guzzi. I struggle with some of the "upgrades" on a lot of today's bikes. Simple air-oil cooling with 80-100 hp is enough for me. I just need to get on one and take it for a spin. When the weather gets better, I think I will head to Moto International, in Seattle and try to get a demo. They are giving away 09's, just not sure I could get it to NTX status for a couple thousand $. Exhaust, remapping, etc. I actually read this whole thread, lots of info, took a few days though.
Luckily I have not had the dreaded tank swelling issue. My MTS has been virtually bullet proof. Love it, just looking over the fence.

Thanks, Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
comparing the old gen multi to the current Stelvio is a bit of a stretch, no?

the new gen Multi and current Stelvio are far enough different than one another as it is!
In my mind no. Both are air-oil cooled twins that tour well. Weight is my biggest fear, as I "LOVE" light weight. Peter was kind enough to give me a 1st hand comparison, as he had a 1st gen MTS, as I do, and I may be considering a Stelvio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
The original post asked for a comparison of the old gen Multi and the current gen Stelvio. That's what was provided. Granted the new gen Multi is a big step up. That is not what was requested.

Peter Y.
Thank you, sir!!!
96ssportsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #3783
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
I too had MTS1100's, MTS12s' (currently own one), and a '09 Stelvio. They all offered upright seating, two shared air-cooled motors, but that is where the similarities ended for me. Fwiw, I'm a huge fan of the older gen MTS and like all three bikes very much. Great bikes all, just very different than one another in my eyes, really different.

oalvarez screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 04:57 AM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #3784
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renman1117 View Post
Got me thinking about getting serious regarding the rear wheel situation. I called Woody Wheel Works this afternoon and was quoted $700.00 plus shipping for redoing my 5.50 x 17 rear wheel. Basically donating my hub and they supply everything else. I would like to keep my 5.50 x 17 intact for road work so I googled 09 Stelvio rear hub and ended up talking to Curtis Harper at Harpers Moto Guzzi in K.C. He said that he had just went through this same inquiry last week and ended up being able to order an entire rear wheel 4.25 x 17 from the warehouse for around $370.00 He is going to call me back tomorrow when the Guzzi parts site comes back up, to check availability. Thats a pretty good deal. Last time I looked I think the price on Guzzitech was over $1000.00 for a new rear wheel.

Cliff

That's about what Dave at Moto Int quoted me for one, too (~$400). He went ahead and ordered one for me, but that was a couple of months ago....
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #3785
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,195
Quote:
Fwiw, I'm a huge fan of the older gen MTS
I had a first gen MTS, great bike. One of the all time great street motors ever put in a bike.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #3786
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I had a first gen MTS, great bike. One of the all time great street motors ever put in a bike.
Never had a MTS, but I had a GT1000 with nearly the same engine and I fully agree.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #3787
mikep95
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Have you considered Aerostich Darien?
Hi everyone

LONG time lurker, first time poster. I'd like to say that this thread really swayed me to the Stelvio. I bought mine in June and just did my 10,000 km service. Amazing machine. It has yet to disappoint. Its my daily commuter in the summer, two up tourer, and iron butt style riding machine. I did find the weight intimidating at first (I weigh 160 lbs) on some sketchy trails but I'm getting used to it and adjusting my riding style. With the riding gear, I switched out to the Darien jacket and pants a few years back. I couldn't ask for anything more versatile and highly waterproof. Regardless of weather, I always ride wearing them and just open vents to suit the temperature. Aerostitch will customize their garments to suit your body and riding style. I've tried many "off the shelf" jackets and having them add 2" below the elbow made a huge difference.
mikep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #3788
96ssportsp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
I too had MTS1100's, MTS12s' (currently own one), and a '09 Stelvio. They all offered upright seating, two shared air-cooled motors, but that is where the similarities ended for me. Fwiw, I'm a huge fan of the older gen MTS and like all three bikes very much. Great bikes all, just very different than one another in my eyes, really different.
Thank you for your input. It helps to know you had an MTS. I rode a "10" 1200 and preferred my 05 s, not that I did not like the 1200, but as you said, different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Looking for the +1 icon..... I can't believe Ducati is almost completely dropping the 2 valve air cooled motor, so much fun. One of the reasons I am looking at a Guzzi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Never had a MTS, but I had a GT1000 with nearly the same engine and I fully agree.
Thank you.
96ssportsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #3789
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ssportsp View Post
Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do like the simple valve check, etc, on the Guzzi. I struggle with some of the "upgrades" on a lot of today's bikes. Simple air-oil cooling with 80-100 hp is enough for me. I just need to get on one and take it for a spin. When the weather gets better, I think I will head to Moto International, in Seattle and try to get a demo. They are giving away 09's, just not sure I could get it to NTX status for a couple thousand $. Exhaust, remapping, etc. I actually read this whole thread, lots of info, took a few days though.

!
Scott, the '09's that MI is offering at such a killer price certainly are attractive. There are a few subtle differences and one major one. I don't think the NTX tank is a simple swap out to go on the older bike. You should get some owners to comment on the range of those machines. On the more subtle side, the rear rim is wider on the '09 so your tire options are not as good as the NTX, which comes with a 150 size rear tire. The NTX has a HUGE oil cooler, easy enough to install on the older bike. From reading this thread I gather that the heated grip control won't allow you to make changes on the move whereas I know the NTX will. If you did go with an '09 you could pick and choose stuff like the crash bars, aux lights, and bags. I'm happy with what came on my bike but not everyone is...picking your own farkles puts you in charge.

I missed ST Madness last year, rode out to CA in '11 and had a great time with the Ducati group. They are all getting older, thank goodness I'm not!
Peter Y.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #3790
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep95 View Post
Hi everyone

LONG time lurker, first time poster. I'd like to say that this thread really swayed me to the Stelvio. I bought mine in June and just did my 10,000 km service. Amazing machine. It has yet to disappoint. Its my daily commuter in the summer, two up tourer, and iron butt style riding machine. I did find the weight intimidating at first (I weigh 160 lbs) on some sketchy trails but I'm getting used to it and adjusting my riding style. With the riding gear, I switched out to the Darien jacket and pants a few years back. I couldn't ask for anything more versatile and highly waterproof. Regardless of weather, I always ride wearing them and just open vents to suit the temperature. Aerostitch will customize their garments to suit your body and riding style. I've tried many "off the shelf" jackets and having them add 2" below the elbow made a huge difference.
Welcome to the fray, Mike.

The more miles you put on the big girl, the more you'll like it.

Not sure if you know this, but the Guzzi (inter)National is in your neck of the woods this year. Lavigne, Ontario. I think there'll be a lot of Stelvio's there this year. Hope to see you there!

Doug
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #3791
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep95 View Post
Hi everyone

Welcome Mike, and thanks for the input on the Darien. I've never heard a bad thing about any of the Aerostich gear, and now they're adding to their line w/ the AD1/Light which is 3-layer GoreTex similar to KLIM's Badlands Pro, but about half the price. Ah the dilemma!!!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #3792
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
This has been a great thread to read and certainly has my interest in the NTX.

For my understanding- can you put the 5.5" rear rim on the NTX or are you stuck with the 4.5"? Really interested in the bike, but would like the ability to run wide streetbike tires like I do on my Uly, but also switch over to narrower dual sport tires on the narrower rim for more offroad. Is this a possibility?

Thanks!
Prior
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #3793
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post

For my understanding- can you put the 5.5" rear rim on the NTX or are you stuck with the 4.5"? Really interested in the bike, but would like the ability to run wide streetbike tires like I do on my Uly, but also switch over to narrower dual sport tires on the narrower rim for more offroad. Is this a possibility?

Thanks!
Prior
I'd guess that you could put the wider wheel on, but I don't know for sure. Regardless, there are still plenty of good tires in the narrower size. What I'd be more concerned about is the 19" front wheel; I haven't found any sport tires (like the Pilot Power) in that size at all.

EDIT: Does anyone have both a Norge and a Stelvio? Maybe we'll get lucky and both wheels will swap right over.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3794
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post

Thanks!
Prior
Of course you can put the 5.5 rear on the NTX!

Hell! The NTX wears the narrower rear wheel because everyone who wanted to take thier bike off pavement asked for it. Demanded it! Guzzi answered the call and equipped the bike with the 150 section rear tire because so many tires are available in that size!

Yes, there are people out there who have both and switch back and forth.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #3795
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I'd guess that you could put the wider wheel on, but I don't know for sure. Regardless, there are still plenty of good tires in the narrower size. What I'd be more concerned about is the 19" front wheel; I haven't found any sport tires (like the Pilot Power) in that size at all.

EDIT: Does anyone have both a Norge and a Stelvio? Maybe we'll get lucky and both wheels will swap right over.
I have to wonder why a person would want a Stelvio with sportsbike rubber, but since some of the street-oriented Adventure-Styled bikes come that way, there must be a market for it.

I wouldn't doubt that swapping a 17 from another CARC Guzzi would be easy. you might pose the question on the GuzziTech forums and find someone who has already done it...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote