Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #8416
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
See this guy's ad and check out the second photo of the bike he is looking for. You XT225 types clearly are enjoying something that my XT250 didn't come with.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ447381008

mike
DAMIT PO held out on me.

Quote:
Biggest issue in crashes is the forks getting twisted in the triple clamps.
Easy fix, put wheel between your knees and twist them back like with a bicycle. If that doesn't work a V in a tree will.

Good tip on slightly loose on the controls. Bark busters protect them for the most part but there are cases where they could still be damaged. As for mirrors I don't want to remove them because then I have to do something with them. I have been riding around on the tails with the bags and camping gear. More like trials for luggage system. Even loaded up I can toss the little xt around like it's a bicycle.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #8417
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,077
Not as much with the XT with its spindly forks, but years ago someone taught me a method that really helps align and make the forks stay aligned more often.
Loosen the axle, and lower triple tree pinch bolts completely. Loosen the upper bolts enough that they just hold the bike up. Hold the front brake and really push down on the bike a few times. It will self align then tighten the upper clamps, lower clamps, and then axle.
With that I have not mike XT forks out of alignment without crashing, just trail riding.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #8418
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
So what if I were to give my fuel screw an extra turn out to even out the air to fuel mixture.
A Louder bike is a safety precaution ....
No. That won’t work unless you never want to go much over an idle. If you really want to open up the intake & exhaust you will probably have to change the main & pilot jets.
I couldn’t find the the exact explanation I wanted but this should do.
What you are calling your "fuel" screw is the air screw. Sometimes known as the 'idle air screw'.
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html
A quote from that link that is the short & simple answer.
Quote:
The air screw is most effective between idle through 1/8 throttle.
The pilot (slow) jet is most effective between 1/8 through 1/4 throttle.
The slide valve is most effective between 1/8 through 1/2 throttle
The jet needle is most effective between 1/4 through 3/4 throttle.
The main jet is most effective between 3/4 through wide-open throttle.
I can guarantee that loud bike will not help. Started riding in 1958 & had & do have both quiet ones & loud ones.
Here is my rant about trying to keep from getting run down on the road. I think some of this stuff does help but there are no guarantees.
I said that I don’t wear bright clothes but I probably should. Read & heed.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19387961&postcount=3

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #8419
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Have you taken the MSF riders course?
Here in Illinois the MSF course is required to get your license.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #8420
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
After a long time of working on my XT... A day I never thought would come, might be coming quickly. I may soon be XT-less. I have been looking into getting an electric bike and having stopped into the local Zero Motorcycle dealer today found out that I can trade in my XT for $1500 for the bike, $2500 off for a carbon credit for trading in a gas bike and a $1500 from the state electric vehicle credit. So that is a whopping $5500 for my little XT... True I will have to pay out $8000 for the new bike but I think an electric DS will be a good addition to my stable. Besides I can always go pick up a 2002 or new XT down the road and get the better electrical capacity I am missing now.

Oh yeah and I get to keep all the accessories I have added so when I do get that 2002 or newer I'll have everything i need already. I will miss my XT but this sounds like too good of a deal to pass up! I still have to get approval from the better half but I can't see how she could say no.

Looking at the ZF9 version...

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/specs.php

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #8421
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
No, but why would you need them? It's not a shiny chromed out cruiser or a sport bike with plastic that will break in an off.

On a related noted. The xt crashes very well as long as you are moving forward. Got kicked off trail and almost hit a small tree. Did the right thing and looked where I wanted to go so I missed the tree. The bike on the other hand did not completely miss the tree catching the bar and stopping me dead (tight trees, couldn't have been going over 10mph when I left the trail). Then the bike fell over and cracked the 1/2 moon bracket that holds the clutch/mirror assembly. If it's moving forward the mirrors break away and don't damage anything. That's why the right side mirror is a CCW thread.

From now on I'm folding the mirrors in when I'm off road. Thinking reusable zip ties. Any better suggestions?
Agree completely on loosening the mirror/lever brackets to prevent damage. Been doing that for 40 years and it's really effective.

As far as the mirrors, someone makes handguards with mirrors inside them so they are protected. But they were really expensive so I adapted some folding mirrors to my handguards. There is more vibration than with the stock setup but they still work. As soon as I get into trees or tall brush I fold in the mirrors and they're completely protected.

deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #8422
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
After a long time of working on my XT... A day I never thought would come, might be coming quickly. I may soon be XT-less. I have been looking into getting an electric bike and having stopped into the local Zero Motorcycle dealer today found out that I can trade in my XT for $1500 for the bike, $2500 off for a carbon credit for trading in a gas bike and a $1500 from the state electric vehicle credit. So that is a whopping $5500 for my little XT... True I will have to pay out $8000 for the new bike but I think an electric DS will be a good addition to my stable. Besides I can always go pick up a 2002 or new XT down the road and get the better electrical capacity I am missing now.

Oh yeah and I get to keep all the accessories I have added so when I do get that 2002 or newer I'll have everything i need already. I will miss my XT but this sounds like too good of a deal to pass up! I still have to get approval from the better half but I can't see how she could say no.

Yeah, but with that Zero you'll have to put a clothes pin with a baseball card in your spokes so it'll still make putt-putt sounds.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #8423
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post

CC,
I've been intreigued (sp) by those battery powered bikes too. I'm sure it's really cool to ride almost silently, especially through the woods. You'll definitely be seeing a ton of animals that you've never seen before. (Watch out for the deer!)

Be sure and give us a ride report "after" you've lived with it a while, and have had a chance to find out what's "not so good" about it. I'd be concerned about running out of juice. :( "Excuse me. Can you give me a jump, all the way home?" ) ;)

Good luck with it & have fun!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #8424
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
deserteagle, do you have a link for those mirrors? That looks like a cool option.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #8425
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
No. That won’t work unless you never want to go much over an idle. If you really want to open up the intake & exhaust you will probably have to change the main & pilot jets.
I couldn’t find the the exact explanation I wanted but this should do.
What you are calling your "fuel" screw is the air screw. Sometimes known as the 'idle air screw'.

I think what you are referring to is the pilot screw (factory plug has to be removed to access it).
It is in the pilot jet circuit and fine tunes the fuel delivered by the pilot jet. Primarily affects idle and low speed/small throttle openings.
Opening it (turning the screw out) makes the circuit richer.

Unless I am completly missing the point, which is always possible with me.

Rumlover screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 07:11 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #8426
Two VT Riders
likely lurking

Oddometer: 29
Clarke tank in SIlver?

Hey Folks,
Getting the wife a Clarke tank for the xt225, and wondering if anyone has ever seen it in the silver? She's got the 05 in silver/black. Black is clearly an option, but wondered about the silver tank. It should stay cooler in the sun too!
Thanks!
Nat
Two VT Riders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #8427
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Yeah, but with that Zero you'll have to put a clothes pin with a baseball card in your spokes so it'll still make putt-putt sounds.
I figured that half the fun would be feeling like a kid everyday and getting to make my own motorcycle noises like when I ised to sit on my neighbours bike as a child. But I will certainly keep the card trick in mind too as it means I get some bibble gum!

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #8428
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
]What you are calling your "fuel" screw is the air screw. Sometimes known as the 'idle air screw'.

No. IT IS A FUEL SCREW. Some other later model bikes have an air screw.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #8429
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I think what you are referring to is the pilot screw (factory plug has to be removed to access it).
It is in the pilot jet circuit and fine tunes the fuel delivered by the pilot jet. Primarily affects idle and low speed/small throttle openings.
Yes, that's the one i am talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennF33 View Post
No. IT IS A FUEL SCREW. Some other later model bikes have an air screw.
Ok, Ok!
Still, turning it out more isn't gonna do what Dirt2street wants it to do. Like I said & Rum says, idle & low speed.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #8430
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
deserteagle, do you have a link for those mirrors? That looks like a cool option.
Bought them from Dennis Kirk (www.denniskirk.com) in 2010 so I don't know if they are still available. Part number was 39-2275 for the left one, and 39-2276 for the right one. But I believe other manufacturers make similar ones that pivot like that.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote