ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #55906
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
.002 and .004? That is tight, i don't care what the book says. Try running them at .006 and .008 and see how it starts.
Gen 1 KLR650 is 0.1- 0.2mm (.004-.008") Intake and 0.15 - .25mm (.006-.010") Exhaust. I set it up on the loose end of the spec, it runs great & starts easy. Your values seem very tight, must be a more performance oriented engine. What isn't?

You stated that compression felt weak when kicking it, sure it was TDC? Also is there an auto decompressor adjustment after the valves are adjusted? At least it's a Honda so you don't have those damn shims!
Here is a write-up I found on ADV http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570015
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #55907
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post

You stated that compression felt weak when kicking it, sure it was TDC? Also is there an auto decompressor adjustment after the valves are adjusted? At least it's a Honda so you don't have those damn shims!
Here is a write-up I found on ADV http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570015

Thanks buddy

It didn't have a manual decompressor when I bought it and the kicker/auto decompressor cable broke and I never replaced it due to unpopular reports so TDC is pretty hard to miss. You really have to lean on it and wait for it to pass TDC on it's own. When cold that is.

I almost have that write up memerized

I plan to bring it home later this week, If right I should be able to readjust the carb where it was and it will start and run fine. I'll ride it home and check the valves hot and see what I get (besides burnt) and if it is tight as I think it will be I'll open it up once cold to .004 and .008 and test run it again 30miles and see what happens.
I still wonder about switching the jets around so I'll check the plug real close and go from there.

I really apprectiate your guys help and hope to get this bike tip top so I can show off my crashing skills this year
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #55908
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Thanks buddy

It didn't have a manual decompressor when I bought it and the kicker/auto decompressor cable broke and I never replaced it due to unpopular reports so TDC is pretty hard to miss. You really have to lean on it and wait for it to pass TDC on it's own. When cold that is.
I almost have that write up memerized
I plan to bring it home later this week, If right I should be able to readjust the carb where it was and it will start and run fine. I'll ride it home and check the valves hot and see what I get (besides burnt) and if it is tight as I think it will be I'll open it up once cold to .004 and .008 and test run it again 30miles and see what happens.
I still wonder about switching the jets around so I'll check the plug real close and go from there.
I really apprectiate your guys help and hope to get this bike tip top so I can show off my crashing skills this year
I was just thinking out loud, I know sometimes it doesn't take much for me to have an AHA moment. Good luck with the carbs.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #55909
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,287
Anyone know the best way clear Honeysuckle? From what I can tell you need to try to pull it out of the ground hopefully getting most of the roots.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #55910
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,953
Quote:
I belive my main problem is the adjustment of the pilot mixture screw, it's an 87 with the california twin carbs so no air screw...
Most thumpers do not have an air screw, just a fuel screw between the slide and the manifold to the head, the 2 strokes I owned had air screws between the slide and airbox boot. Some of these had aluminum caps over them so you couldn't adjust them. We'd just drill a small hole in them and run a screw into it so it could be pulled out. Most of my Hondas had a brass or copper BB in a hole and it was peened in to block fuel and air passages. Don't drill those!

If the secondary carb is not shutting all the way, too much air may be getting by the slide causing a lean spot.

If the idle is set too high, and the fuel/air screw is out of adjustment, the bike will run differently between hot and cold.

Get the motor hot and set the mixture screw at 1.5 turn out from seated gently. Try to get the idle screw out as far as you can and get the idle up using the mixture screw. Your slide may be too high and you may be adding too much fuel for a warm engine and flooding it. Great when cold but not so when warm. Your carb has all kinds of passages in it for air and fuel to bypass the slide when closed.

A simple test to try with a hot engine. If you blip the throttle and the engine slowly revs down or takes a while to rev down, then you may be lean. If the engine slows down rapidly and start to die, it may be rich.

Hope you get it figured out

btw, all I did was change the valve cover gasket on mine and the intake valve went tight and wouldn't start at all.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #55911
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Anyone know the best way clear Honeysuckle? From what I can tell you need to try to pull it out of the ground hopefully getting most of the roots.
I'm no yard care expert, but this worked for me. Cut it short in the spring, and paint the stumps with Ortho brush killer straight from the bottle. I'm not sure if you can still buy the stuff though. I've had the same bottle for a long time.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #55912
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,953
Quote:
I belive my main problem is the adjustment of the pilot mixture screw, it's an 87 with the california twin carbs so no air screw,

One setting she starts great cold with a real good idle and rev but then sometimes not all the time doesn't want to start hot.

Once adjusted to start hot it will have a a cough/backfire through the carbs every couple of seconds for about 10mins that can kill it and have a stuck high idle.

Going back and looking at this, the hot start setting sounds too lean for idle.

My 950 backfired through the carbs when I got it too lean with the needle.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #55913
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I'm no yard care expert, but this worked for me. Cut it short in the spring, and paint the stumps with Ortho brush killer straight from the bottle. I'm not sure if you can still buy the stuff though. I've had the same bottle for a long time.
Gallon or so of Bleach will destroy any vegetation. Breaks down the cell walls.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #55914
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Ouch...I flinched several times.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #55915
r-3350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
A product called Tordon RTU is a good stump killer. It comes in a quart squeeze bottlle so you just squirt the cutoff stump. Rual King carries it. Carl
r-3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #55916
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
A few goats would keep it in check.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #55917
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
How clear are we talking here? Some lawn sterilizing agent would keep the area vegetation free for years. Some gas or diesel would help keep it in check too unless it's really robust. Fire can work too unless it's an area you can't burn in. Or just get goats.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #55918
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
How clear are we talking here? Some lawn sterilizing agent would keep the area vegetation free for years. Some gas or diesel would help keep it in check too unless it's really robust. Fire can work too unless it's an area you can't burn in. Or just get goats.
Being he lives in Troy, I doubt he wants to salt the earth but probably has a patch he just wants gone along a fence or the side of the house where getting a lawn to grow is difficult.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #55919
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Being he lives in Troy, I doubt he wants to salt the earth but probably has a patch he just wants gone along a fence or the side of the house where getting a lawn to grow is difficult.
No, I was talking about my Dad's farm over in Indiana. The fence rows are encroaching in on the farm fields with this stuff and it's everywhere it seems. :(

I was thinking a tractor with a frontend loader might be able to bull doze it right out of the ground but some of it is 4~5" diameter. :(
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #55920
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Autum/Russian Olive out of control at my place. It basically takes over any open areas that are not mowed. Lots of fruit in the fall so the birds spread (shit) the seeds like crazy.