ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #6031
BZHGirl
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Breiz (FRANCE)
Oddometer: 27
That's great! I like it. The KTM front light looks great with the bike.
BZHGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #6032
nx&ace
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Ozark Mountains
Oddometer: 56
NX250 Tail Light

Has anyone found a decent replacement for the the NX125, 250, 650 tail light replacement? The closest I've found is the DR250-DR650. The DR250 is a low profile and will look more like the original. I sits in the original location with little modification. Better yet if I can find an original lens. I'm not having any luck with that. I've checked Europe, Asia and the States. I think I'd have better luck winning the lottery. Any ideas. Thanks NX&ACE
nx&ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #6033
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scrambler66's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx&ace View Post
Has anyone found a decent replacement for the the NX125, 250, 650 tail light replacement? The closest I've found is the DR250-DR650. The DR250 is a low profile and will look more like the original. I sits in the original location with little modification. Better yet if I can find an original lens. I'm not having any luck with that. I've checked Europe, Asia and the States. I think I'd have better luck winning the lottery. Any ideas. Thanks NX&ACE

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=tail+l...r:24,s:0,i:160


http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx2502-do...i_33702mn9641/


http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/...MN9JMN94F2500B
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #6034
nx&ace
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Ozark Mountains
Oddometer: 56
NX Tail Lenses

Thanks Scrambler66. I called Powersportspro. They said the lense is NLA )no longer available), they just haven't updated the site. I did find two in England. So I have 2 new NX250 tail lights on the way. Thanks, NX&ACE
nx&ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #6035
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: masshole mofo
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx&ace View Post
Thanks Scrambler66. I called Powersportspro. They said the lense is NLA )no longer available), they just haven't updated the site. I did find two in England. So I have 2 new NX250 tail lights on the way. Thanks, NX&ACE
got 1 a year ago from the dealer, 30 bucks. try the dealer?
PTC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #6036
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scrambler66's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx&ace View Post
Thanks Scrambler66. I called Powersportspro. They said the lense is NLA )no longer available), they just haven't updated the site. I did find two in England. So I have 2 new NX250 tail lights on the way. Thanks, NX&ACE
You are welcome . But this is bad news, I’m afraid. I already noticed that body parts like fenders and side covers are not available anymore, but if Honda starts to cease production of more commonly needed parts we got a problem.
I found one source of aftermarket taillights in Greece; but right now only one for the AX1 is available (which is different)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/HONDA-AX1-AX-...item35b375fc93

scrambler66 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:19 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #6037
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer
 
Orkodelamuerte's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Argentina, Cordoba
Oddometer: 80
I recently ordered some parts here...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...GHT/parts.html

Unfortunately, as some said... some parts are becoming obsolete, and therefore no longer available... We will have to get creative...

Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #6038
Motoswami
Motoswami
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: northeast Georgia
Oddometer: 80
adapring an SV650 shock

I'm in the middle of replacing my rear shock. I've been using a shock from a Generation 1 Suzuki SV650. It worked well, but recently I noticed the seal was blown, and I no longer had any dampening -- time to source another shock. Found one used (10K miles) on the SV Owner's List and now I'm in the process of modifying it so it will mount. The top end, with the rubber bushing, needs to be ground more narrow, and the bottom end -- since the SV shock is 3/4" too long -- needs to be re-drilled and one side threaded for the bolt to screw into (10mm x 1.25). This photo shows the stock NX shock, blue in the center, a modified SV shock on the right, and an SV shock in the process of being modified, on the left.

http://motoswami.smugmug.com/photos/...-nF4CCvL-S.jpg
Motoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #6039
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain
 
Honda Scoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.E. Ohio
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoswami View Post
I'm in the middle of replacing my rear shock. I've been using a shock from a Generation 1 Suzuki SV650. It worked well, but recently I noticed the seal was blown, and I no longer had any dampening -- time to source another shock. Found one used (10K miles) on the SV Owner's List and now I'm in the process of modifying it so it will mount. The top end, with the rubber bushing, needs to be ground more narrow, and the bottom end -- since the SV shock is 3/4" too long -- needs to be re-drilled and one side threaded for the bolt to screw into (10mm x 1.25). This photo shows the stock NX shock, blue in the center, a modified SV shock on the right, and an SV shock in the process of being modified, on the left.

http://motoswami.smugmug.com/photos/...-nF4CCvL-S.jpg
I put a 1st gen. SV650 shock (full length) on the NX250 some time ago and it works great!
Last month I shortened another 1st gen. SV650 shock to 12.25" bolt centers for the NX125.
Both were set at the 5th of 7 preload settings.

The NX125 rear suspension is much improved, but the spring is way softer than the one on the NX250.

The point of the story is that used shock / springs can have varying results depending on how much abuse they have seen prior to being sold.
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #6040
victory80
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: sf bay area california
Oddometer: 21
retro supermoto build

Gathering parts for the retro supermoto build... Still have an Acerbis crf450 rear fender on the way. Also got a quote from a local wheel builder for the front wheel; $120ish for labor and spokes. As for tires going with a 110/70 michelin pilot power front and for the meantime keeping the 16" rear rim with a michelin city grip scooter tire in 140/70/16. Tires should be around $180 for the pair. Keep you posted!

Akrapovic titanium can, $100 used from craigslist
Excel 17x2.5" rim, $130
Acerbis universal supermoto fender, $20
Acerbis crf450 rear fender, $20
Renthal grips, $10
Renthal bar ends, $30
Fuel vent, $5

victory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #6041
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer
 
Orkodelamuerte's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Argentina, Cordoba
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory80 View Post
Gathering parts for the retro supermoto build... Still have an Acerbis crf450 rear fender on the way. Also got a quote from a local wheel builder for the front wheel; $120ish for labor and spokes. As for tires going with a 110/70 michelin pilot power front and for the meantime keeping the 16" rear rim with a michelin city grip scooter tire in 140/70/16. Tires should be around $180 for the pair. Keep you posted!

Akrapovic titanium can, $100 used from craigslist
Excel 17x2.5" rim, $130
Acerbis universal supermoto fender, $20
Acerbis crf450 rear fender, $20
Renthal grips, $10
Renthal bar ends, $30
Fuel vent, $5
Watch out for the mod u do with the exhaust... remember that the stock one is part of the frame, so u will have to compensate for that... otherwise, you will bend it...

We will appreciate some pics as u go!! We are pics addicts!

Orkodelamuerte screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 07:06 AM
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #6042
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scrambler66's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 234
Motard modifications

After I got my AX1 I was thinking about getting decent tires. Unfortunately the AX1 has the same rare dimensions as the NX250, expensive and not available in modern rubber compounds. With my NX250 I solved the problem by adapting larger wheels (21/17 inch). Disadvantage of this approach: the seat height (especially with stronger shock/front springs) is getting strenuous.

Since the AX1 is already more street oriented why not trying some street tires with smaller diameter?

First approach: wheels from the Kawasaki 250 Ninja. The front rim fits with a El250 (260mm) disk and a XR650L break caliper. Unfortunately the hub of the Ninja wheel must be grinded off 6mm in order to get it centered in the AX1 / NX250 fork. And that would make hard if not impossible to get it past the German TüV – a pity though, I really like the design of the Ninja wheels.

Second try: a front wheel from a Kreidler DD125 “Sumo”, size 2.50-17. This wheel fits plugandplay, so I mounted it on my NX250 (the AX1 is not ready yet), that explains the large front fender. First road tests are promising – but I got stronger front springs and a shorter shock from a NTV650 (which works very nice in the NX250, by the way).

Because you have to keep in mind that the NX250 has already an extremely short wheelbase (1,35m / 53.1 in) and trail (89mm / 3.5 in). So if lowered only in front, the trail gets even shorter and it can get really unstable at higher speed, even dangerous (believe me, no fun). To account for that, a smaller rear tire (eg 120/80 16) or a shorter shock is a must.


scrambler66 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 10:52 PM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #6043
victory80
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: sf bay area california
Oddometer: 21
Scrambler66,

Do you have more pics of your ax1 and nx? Love to see some for inspiration on my motard build!
victory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #6044
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scrambler66's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 234
Motard mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory80 View Post
Scrambler66,

Do you have more pics of your ax1 and nx? Love to see some for inspiration on my motard build!

I just started with the sumo conversion, so there is not much I can show right now. The most important thing for me was to figure out, if I can get a decent driveability with the small 17‘‘ front wheel.

My NX250M (m= motard) will also be kinda old-fashioned – since I like the look of my Nixie I won’t change much except the wheels. An AX1 aluminum swing arm with rear disc brake was on my wish list, though – since I finally got a complete AX1, no sweat.



The wheel on the pic is from a NSR125 with 130/70 17 tire – Heidenau /Continental make some nice “Sumo” tires in this size. Note that my Brit – AX1 came with a Supertrapp exhaust.

If you could get a swing arm and rear brake of an European NX650 you could try this




I already eschewed the original head lamp / odometer long ago for my “enduro” conversion and mounted parts from a KLX. Now just imagine smaller wheels and “sumo” fenders and there you go



scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #6045
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 419
I have some NX stuff I'd like to get rid of, maybe someone here wants it? Shipping plus a buck or two for my tiime.

Two brand new intake valves, valve guides and valve seals. If you are going to rebuild your head here's your stuff.

Bad CDI. I fixed it once with the soldering iron, but didn't do all of it. Works for a while. Good for you to experiment on or fix as a back-up.

I will put up some more stuff later. Also have some parts for sale in the flea market.
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014