Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #76
speedisgood OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
and the maintenance intervals (valve check) are a lot more frequent on the triple....
I considered the street triple, but went with the 919 for this reason. I like bullet proof reliability.
speedisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #77
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 6,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
^ that's about how I feel.

I like the sound of the trip, but the 9'er just feels more like a refined machine to me. The striple feels more like a sportsbike without the bodywork.

The 919 feels more like a UJM. That was my problem with it though. Everything worked too good, there just wasn't any character. The 919 is like an honor roll student. The S3 is like the 919's older pissed off brother that picks fights in the school yard.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #78
speedisgood OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
turbo

I found a thread on wrist twisters about the idea of putting a turbo kit on a 919. Apparently there were a couple of guys in Colorado making turbo kits for about 2400.00. The thread has gone idle, though, since 2009. Has anyone tried a turbo kit on a 919, or know of someone who has? How did it go in the longer term? I definately find the potential "sleeper" effect attractive.

Thanks.
speedisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #79
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
I'm 6'2". When I first got my 919 it felt cramped and my knees would hurt a little after several hours of riding. My body/brain adjusted and now I think it fits great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zozie View Post
How is this bike for someone who's 6'3" long term? I've always liked this bike, but sitting on a used one at a dealer felt kinda small. I got an Bmw F800R instead....
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #80
WoIf
Traveler

Oddometer: 6
Cool2

Thought I'd share my modified 919.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

WoIf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #81
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
That is a great looking bike. I like the blacked out look. I`ve had my 919 for about five months now, and like it more with each passing mile. Excellent power, good handling, and looks good too.
de Vaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #82
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 935
WoIf

What bark busters ya got there? Got my friends 919 in teh garage he is re-doing after the original owner did a fabulous full body sticker job.

Looks good
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #83
WoIf
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisflatearth View Post
WoIf

What bark busters ya got there? Got my friends 919 in teh garage he is re-doing after the original owner did a fabulous full body sticker job.

Looks good
Thanks thisflatearth

They are Trackside from Cycle Gear. They are on sale from 89.99 to 44.99. My friend test rode it in the parking lot and dropped it pretty hard. The metal held strong and I took a lighter to the scuffed plastic. Doesn't even look like it hit anymore.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #84
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk

Oddometer: 103
Trackside owes you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoIf View Post
Thanks thisflatearth

They are Trackside from Cycle Gear. They are on sale from 89.99 to 44.99. My friend test rode it in the parking lot and dropped it pretty hard. The metal held strong and I took a lighter to the scuffed plastic. Doesn't even look like it hit anymore.
at the LEAST a thanks. JUST by your description of them, I went to the cyclegear website, read the other reviews, and am SOLD! I had "wind deflectors" on my Buell, and when it went down, the "deflectors" did NOTHING but move (and yes, they were installed correctly, and tight) thus destroying my clutch lever. And yes, it was a tip over at zero mph, thanks asshole cage driver against my PARKED bike. Wolf, go get a sales job now if you don't have one.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #85
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisflatearth View Post
WoIf

Got my friends 919 in teh garage he is re-doing after the original owner did a fabulous full body sticker job.

Looks good
How about some pix of the stickered 9er?
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #86
EvoLife
Evolving.....Slowly

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
How about some pix of the stickered 9er?
From this:

To this:

And on to this:

I have more to do to finish the paint, like wet sanding and such, but it's too cold for now. I took my wife to Home Depot and told her to pick out a color and this is what she chose. I took the old stickers and shitty paint off and laid on some primer. After sanding and smoothing it out (which included removing some runs) I sprayed on many very thin coats of color until it was uniform and complete. Then it was many coats of matte clear to build up a thick layer. Now I just have to wet sand everything smooth because of the heavy orange peel and spray on a final coat of matte clear if the 6 micron paper doesn't leave a uniform frosty finish. I would like to say I would get a HVLP gun if/when this happens again, but I'll probably do the same thing. At $4/can I have under $40 in the primer, paint, and clear.

The PO painted the gauge buckets black without prepping the chrome so it was flaking off. I figured I'd glass bead it off and paint it up again. This was a good idea poorly executed, resulting in this:

A little bit would have been great and I would have left it a frosted chrome look. I guess I either sprayed too much, too long, too close, or all of the above and it looks like the copper stretched from the peening and separated from the plastic. I had to peel it all off and now have to prime and paint it too.

I think I'm going to order those hand guards. They look sweet.

I'm looking for a stock rear fender/plate mount/plate light/blinker mount if anyone has one lying around collecting dust. I have the resources at work to make an aluminum or stainless undertail to mount everything, but I don't have the drive right now and am just trying to focus on getting it road ready for the spring.

I'm all ears if anyone has history on the bike. It came from the Clinton, Lebanon, Round Valley area area of NJ. Feel free to PM me.

"Today I'm younger than I'm ever going to be, and I intend to act like it"
EvoLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #87
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 935
Yup thats my garage full of other peoples sh*t
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #88
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLife View Post

I'm looking for a stock rear fender/plate mount/plate light/blinker mount if anyone has one lying around collecting dust. I have the resources at work to make an aluminum or stainless undertail to mount everything, but I don't have the drive right now and am just trying to focus on getting it road ready for the spring.

I'm all ears if anyone has history on the bike. It came from the Clinton, Lebanon, Round Valley area area of NJ. Feel free to PM me.
Check out http://www.wristtwisters.com/ for parts. Someone there also might just chime in: "Hey, that's my old bike."
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #89
WoIf
Traveler

919 Made it to Nicaragua

Short Video: http://youtu.be/rXz2F1_eqJA

Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #90
Jewiss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoIf View Post
Beautiful! Congrats! Great video too.
How do you like the trail-attack tires?
I just installed the sport-attacks on mine (free from a friend) but I may want something a little more touring oriented.
I'll see how they do in about a month or so.
Jewiss is online now   Reply With Quote