Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #5852
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by algo_38 View Post
Hello,

I'm French and I love the site ADV rider.
I have a XLR125RW I also turned into a minimalist traveler.
I have not yet done so trip but it will be soon.
Thank you for these pages.

You're French but you have a Scottish flag on your Japanese bike?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #5853
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,265
I think everyone on this thead feels the same way.
A lot of it is ego I think, although lots of power can be fun when you can use it.

There are plenty of really heavy bikes riding in the dirt on this site, loaded with cargo.
I am amazed when someone does not break a bone on a trip, its so easy to do in the dirt.

On the street, people seem to think they need huge motors, otherwise they might have to downshift to pass or go up a hill, and that just won't do.
So they ride a 600 pound bike that gets 40 mpg and costs more then most cars.
They have CB's, audio systems, abs, traction control, heated grips, power windshields, cup holders, cruise control, a trunk, gps, and who knows what else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksing View Post
Glad I found this thread, I am sick to death of people on bike forums saying you need a fully blown super gzrxywsa widowmaker to do any riding outside the town limits, I have a suzuki gn250 that i have set up for travelling & have done thousands of miles on it with no problems, it just comes down to riding the bike to the conditions, Will post some pics later
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #5854
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by algo_38 View Post
Hello,

I'm French and I love the site ADV rider.
I have a XLR125RW I also turned into a minimalist traveler.
I have not yet done so trip but it will be soon.
Thank you for these pages.

looking forward to more pictues [bike/trips] asap. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #5855
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
hill climb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBryan View Post
AWESOME another person who appreciates the lil GZ... Back in sept me and a buddy took a weekend camping trip to Bourbon Mo. to watch AHRMA races for the weekend.. Got some looks pulling in loaded up Me on the GZ and him on his Super Sherpa. The looks we got I don't think those guys rezlize that a Small bike Will do the job

Back a century ago my friend and and I rode to the Oregonia, Oh. to the Hill Climbs. This event takes place in Oct. every year and normally desides the Hill Climing Champion for the season. Its still a big event in a small Ohio Village to this day. We rode in on 100cc Zundaps,into a field of Harleys and other real bikes, the looks and the laughs were as you can imagine, but at the time [14 years old] we were at our max level of cool. We were real bikers [only in our minds] but it didn't matter to us, we had a great time. I thought about that very first bike trip as we [same friend] rode in to the Hill Climb this year, on real bikes, both of us on GZ 250s. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #5856
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
A lot of it is ego I think, although lots of power can be fun when you can use it.

There are plenty of really heavy bikes riding in the dirt on this site, loaded with cargo.
I am amazed when someone does not break a bone on a trip, its so easy to do in the dirt.

On the street, people seem to think they need huge motors, otherwise they might have to downshift to pass or go up a hill, and that just won't do.
They have CB's, audio systems, abs, traction control, heated grips, power windshields, cup holders, cruise control, a trunk, gps, and who knows what else.
Cant forget the star bucks coffee warmers on the BMWs .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #5857
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Awsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
Back a century ago my friend and and I rode to the Oregonia, Oh. to the Hill Climbs. This event takes place in Oct. every year and normally desides the Hill Climing Champion for the season. Its still a big event in a small Ohio Village to this day. We rode in on 100cc Zundaps,into a field of Harleys and other real bikes, the looks and the laughs were as you can imagine, but at the time [14 years old] we were at our max level of cool. We were real bikers [only in our minds] but it didn't matter to us, we had a great time. I thought about that very first bike trip as we [same friend] rode in to the Hill Climb this year, on real bikes, both of us on GZ 250s. CMS
Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #5858
NJ-Brett
Brett

In my book, you guys were the real bikers.
Its easy to ride a great bike with plenty of everything, but not so easy to ride a small, or old bike far or even not so far sometimes.

QUOTE=CMS;20489135]Back a century ago my friend and and I rode to the Oregonia, Oh. to the Hill Climbs. This event takes place in Oct. every year and normally desides the Hill Climing Champion for the season. Its still a big event in a small Ohio Village to this day. We rode in on 100cc Zundaps,into a field of Harleys and other real bikes, the looks and the laughs were as you can imagine, but at the time [14 years old] we were at our max level of cool. We were real bikers [only in our minds] but it didn't matter to us, we had a great time. I thought about that very first bike trip as we [same friend] rode in to the Hill Climb this year, on real bikes, both of us on GZ 250s. CMS [/QUOTE]
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #5859
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:

Interesting point of view, seems like you can't understand why someone else would want to ride something different than yourself. Anytime you start generalizing such large groups of types of riders into "they" it can seem a little narrow-minded.

I believe that why there's different bikes for different needs, while I'm all about traveling on small bikes nowadays, there's something very nice about riding long days on a smooth powerful bike too, especially with your girl on back and stuff to make the trip very comfortable when going through different climates on one ride. Easy is nice sometimes.
There's no single bike that's perfect for all the various types of riding found here on ADVrider and to think that people have big bikes because of ego is a little shortsighted IMO. Stereo types are easy and sometimes funny, but there's no group of riders that doesn't have their own stereo types, from little bikes like in here to BMW, HD's and Goldwings. Posting up with inevitably insult someone and kind of pointless in a thread to share ideas about being minimal.
Ever think that maybe that guy you see with a big fancy gadget filled bike is actually a fellow who's traveled the world on a little bike many years ago and now wants comfort cause his back can't take it? Or the guy on the chromed out shiny 1000 pound trike with American flags flying maybe is a disabled veteran who can't ride on two wheels anymore?

Real bikers because it's "harder" to travel on a small bike? That sounds like ego boosting to me since you choose to go what you believe is the "harder" route, though more often that not in our case the little bike is much easier where we like to ride. I have a much respect for those folks going RTW on little bikes, but the reality is they are probably better suited for that anyways, being very efficient, simple to work on, parts availability, inconspicuous, etc.

Different tools for the job at hand, anyone who wants to throw a leg over any bike and travel is OK by me, even the dude with the whole touratech catalog bolted to their bike. Sure there's guys who take big loaded DS bikes in places that would be better suited on a little bike, BTDT, to each their own and if they are having fun it's still better than sitting at home on your ass watching reality TV like most people.

I get this is the Minimalist Touring Thread and hope to contribute in a positive manner, just don't pat yourself on the back too much while putting down what other people choose to do on two wheels. Go read the OP at the start of this thread, it's not about talking shit about what others are doing...
It's all about having fun, sharing ideas and getting Lost.

I'm looking forward to more traveling on the little bike minimal style, and also other types of riding too...

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #5860
Jetstreamer
Sandlapper Brapper

Oddometer: 192
Well said Lost Rider.

2009 XT250
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #5861
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
+++++++1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreamer View Post
well said lost rider.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #5862
NJ-Brett
Brett

I never said its bad to ride a nice big bike, and I have had them, I have a problem with people thinking they NEED a big bike to do anything on.
Over and over I hear people say an 883 is too small to take on the hiway, or you need 80+ hp just to be safe riding, or a bike is a joke because it only has 40 hp and so on.

I am not very interested in reading about someone riding cross country on the latest BMW or big Harley, gold wing, etc, it happens every day. But when someone gets an old/small bike for $50.00 and does it, its interesting to me.

Take one of the big bikes in the dirt, and its interesting, slab on a little bike and its interesting, get a very old bike and do anything with it and its interesting.

Tour on your gold wing, it might be nice, but its not really interesting unless its in the dirt.
I DO find it interesting when someone takes any big heavy bike in the rough dirt, the story often includes nice X rays of broken bones and details about spot operation, helicopters, etc.

Lets face it, you get almost no respect if you ride a small bike in the US.
So I tend to buck the trend and give little respect to people who ride big bikes on the street.
If all it takes is a bunch of money, I tend to not respect the thing, whatever it is.
Not that I dislike it, or think its wrong, I just do not respect it.

If someone goes out and BUYS a fast car, thats fine, if someone BUILDS a fast car, that gets my respect.
I know I am odd, and not like the others....
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #5863
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
I never said its bad to ride a nice big bike, and I have had them, I have a problem with people thinking they NEED a big bike to do anything on.

Over and over I hear people say an 883 is too small to take on the hiway, or you need 80+ hp just to be safe riding, or a bike is a joke because it only has 40 hp and so on.

I am not very interested in reading about someone riding cross country on the latest BMW or big Harley, gold wing, etc, it happens every day. But when someone gets an old/small bike for $50.00 and does it, its interesting to me....
Well said NJ-Brett. Well said. Your first line appears to echo my experience completely. Granted - I have no issue with people riding any bike they wish. I love all bikes - big and small. Ride what you got. But I continue to read and hear so much bias against small displacement bikes - that it's both startling and disheartening at the same time. So many misconceptions. I posted to one forum recently that featured a review of the Ninja 300 that once again suggested small bikes are "dangerous" out on the highway because riders can't "accelerate hard at highway speeds to get out of danger". This comment is strange coming from any rider - but hearing it from motorcycle journalists is even more puzzling. And that nobody bothered to question it - unbelievable. Perhaps I'm an outlier, but I've never had to accelerate hard at highways speeds to get out of danger...ever...in any vehicle I ever owned over 30 years. In fact, none of those vehicles could ever accomplish such acceleration anyway at highway speeds even if their life depended on it. I commented that if that is ever a requirement, then the rider has already made several gross tactical riding errors up to that point and would benefit by seriously re-thinking their approach to safe riding. Do larger displacement bikes lead to lazier planning - where the solution to a potentially dangerous situation is to simply "power" out of it? Perhaps small bikes force the rider to ride smarter. What seems strange too, is that if these small displacment bikes were so dangerous - I suspect that insurance rates for them would be out of reach. Alternatively, it might be more reasonable to suggest that large displacement and extremely overweight cruisers would likely be more dangerous in virtually any riding environment - perhaps particularly in the city - due to their relatively poor braking, weight, and compromised handling characteristics. Yet - I keep reading about how dangerous small displacment bikes can be, and not once have I ever read any mention about the relative dangers of riding a large, heavyweight bike in city traffic. Ever. Hmm...I wonder why?

I'm interested in riding smaller bikes and reading about other small displacement bike adventures - because I am enchanted with the notion of doing more with less. And for the most part - traveling long distances, and camping - all on a small bike aren't typically as easy to do compared to the same trek on a larger purpose-built touring cycle. This for me - makes the former more special. And yes - people who do this ARE heros to me. Because I know it isn't easy. It takes a lot of physical and mental fortitude. It takes lots of guts, determination, perseverance - fighting wind - the elements - on a bike that wasn't made for this - and didn't require you to re-mortgage your home before you saddled-up for the first time. Not everyone has what it takes or would even care to try it. This again - makes it special. Often in life it is the hardest challenges - you and your bike pushing each other to the limit, aiming for that seemingly unreachable goal - that makes the journey so worth while. Many riders have said to me that they would never even attempt to ride a small displacement bike cross-country. Some say it can't be done. Others have gotten angry and outright indignant at the very notion of doing so on something that doesn't coddle you and look "the part". Then some concede that their spirit of adventure could never surpass the pain, musicle stiffness, agony, and torment that would be an inevitable part of that experience. Once again - riding a small displacement bike in this way IS special. And for all the above reasons and many more - makes it uniquely interesting for those who have subscribed to this thread.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 02:26 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #5864
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,667
My eye is once again on this one:

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #5865
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
My eye is once again on this one:

That's a beauty. My red '09 provided lots of fun this year, mostly day tours less than 200 miles and one overnight campout. I've logged a lot of gravel miles, some snow/ice, and even a little bit of dirt riding. Learned to let it warm up before I leave or it will die at stops till it warms up. Other than that, it's performed flawlessly. An inmate sold me the service manual for $20, he bought and studied it considering buying one. The very large section on diagnosing problems with fuel injection system scared him off. But I'm still happier with fuel injection than another carb.