Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,741
I think your description points towards the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJKTM
Definately not tyre balance because if you clutch in it goes, the vibration is also just as bad when you just rev the engine at a standstill.
I would suspect loose central nut holding the baskets or even pressure plate bolts. How about a quick look? Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
I've got the same problem with my '04 Adventure. 4200-4500 there's a horrible vibe.

Well.....

I didn't do anything until today. Hadn't been riding much, and bought a XR250R on Sunday so I was playing with that. Today I thought I ought to exercise the beast. Got sick of the vibes after 30 minutes around town and came home. On a whim I took the seat off and was looking down at the cylinder head and all around. I noticed a pair of fasteners that didn't match. The bolt that holds the right side subframe to the frame was backing out. I pulled the fasteners for the right side plastic off and tightened it up. I thought, well it can't get any worse... there's no way this is going to fix it, but I'll try it anyway. So I took it out for a test.

SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Not perfect, but even at lower RPMs it's noticeably better. After I burn off the gas I filled up with today, I'm going to tear it down and re-torque everything. It's probably time for a good once over. I bet I have a few loose screws....

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
DetR6oit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
When I first picked my 08 up from the dealer in July my hands went numb from the vibes on the freeway.

That was the one and only time though. I have 7000 on it now and done a 1000 mile day once even, and never have never had problems with it since that first day. So either I got used to it or it went away.
DetR6oit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
990S Pilot
Is this round trip?

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Well.....

I'm going to tear it down and re-torque everything. It's probably time for a good once over. I bet I have a few loose screws....

Glad you found something that helps the problem though it's a shame you have to do the dealers work for him. I believe "check all fasteners" is a required part of the first service.
990S Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith54
Glad you found something that helps the problem though it's a shame you have to do the dealers work for him. I believe "check all fasteners" is a required part of the first service.

Na... It's an '04 w/ 20K miles. From what I understand, it's seen some pretty heavy riding.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
990S Pilot
Is this round trip?

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Na... It's an '04 w/ 20K miles. From what I understand, it's seen some pretty heavy riding.

Ah, got it. I got you confused with the OP.
990S Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #22
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Guys,
Check your chain tension. I used to run mine way too tight. When I started to experiment , I noticed a big improvement when I "loosened" it a lot. Also it's better for the suspension and the bearings. Also check the tank bolts to see if they are too tight.
hope this helps someone.
Killer Whale KTM
Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #23
Racinace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
He stated that the vibration is there when stopped and just reving the motor. Vibration goes away when clutch is pulled in at speed.

I agree with previous post... check main nut on clutch basket and related parts. MAKE THE DEALER CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!! It's a new bike and the 990's natoriously smooth.
06 KTM 525exc (plated)
4 time Baja 1000 finisher (08-11) 2x, 305x, 313x, 202x
Racinace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #24
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
(2) 990's in the stable

Both bikes had the 600 mile service. I had a slight vibration from front tire on my bike. Dealer replaced the front tire (no cost) with a brand new Scorp/and found the front rim slightly out of round. New tire and a trued rim, all is well and smooth.

Both bikes have been running great. no issues.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #25
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,797
Vibration..... just for info

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Cam/camch...ise/noise.html
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
990 vibrates too

Old thread for sure, but I just got back from my first ride on the 2012 990R and searched this topic. I too am experiencing bad vibes between 4/5k rpms. My 950 did not do this. I'm trying to really work the allowable rev range and do a proper break in. The manual says up to 6k ok. Maybe 6,500 rpm but I only took it to 5 or so where it smoothed out nicely. Below 4k very smooth too. It may be just a break in thing. I read somewhere about a yamaha super tenere vibrating badly until it had some decent miles on it. I'd love to find another 990 to ride now.
Not sure if I should just put the first 600 miles on or take it in now. Seems a little hasty, only 75 miles on it!
Any 990 input?
TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,760
This bike needs at least 3-5000 miles on it to start working right. They are really sweet after the first 'proper' valve adjust.

These bikes are very sensitive to chain tension. The lowered (STD) models can get the chain tighter and will be smoother. The longer travel will just have to live with some vibes. When it gets even slightly loose, you'll get a vibe at 4200-5000 on the highway, more with a load, none without a load. It's only about a 1/3 turn on the adjusters to go from vibes to no vibes.

Never over tighten. Have two friends sit on it and check the tension. It should not be bow string tight.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #28
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Chain tension

Thanks for the tip!
I'll give it some more break in time, weather permitting. I'll check the load vs no load at the 4200 to 5k vibration zone, hadn't thought of that...pulling in the clutch or trying it downhill. I'll also check the chain tension.
I remember one time getting my then new 888 back from the shop and having a horrible vibration at certain rpms. Eventually i stopped and checked over the bike to hear the ticking sound of a chain about ready to explode from heat. It was so freaking tight and so freaking hot i wouldn't dare ride it, so I walked to a house to borrow tools to loosen it.
Apparently the tech at the shop didn't tighten either the axle bolt or the tensioner bolts and it tightened as I rode it.
I check stuff out a little better now.
TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote