ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #19276
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Did you do a full 360 or just 180? I never know what is best...
You know, I was so tired by the end I didn't even pay attention. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #19277
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Since we are talking orange again.
Strange that my 690 has more horsepower.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #19278
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post

Roger that.........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #19279
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Well that explains the high maintenace.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #19280
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Chalanda!

Utards in Baja
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #19281
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Details please..

I will be adding more horsepower to the 450 also. Probably gear UP slightly (from 14/52 to 14/50) and and a custom 41mm carb from DJH along with some head work and merging of the cases. Or I was thinking of spending money I don't really have and possibly upping to 518cc. Short stroke like a 450 but some of the balls of the 530. But gear up even more (likely to stock) so its still manageable on the technical terrain etc... Really up in the air about the whole thing...

Also Ry can you shoot me a ring whenever you have a chance? four 3 5 six three 1 zero zero two 1... thx
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #19282
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
How do you like that handlebar set up? Flexx?

BTW, are you on IH8mud?
haven't used it, a friend wants to buy them because I never really used them, now I'm regretting it...

yup, on 'mud but not that often. Used to be, a lot, though!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #19283
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Details please..

I will be adding more horsepower to the 450 also. Probably gear UP slightly (from 14/52 to 14/50) and and a custom 41mm carb from DJH along with some head work and merging of the cases. Or I was thinking of spending money I don't really have and possibly upping to 518cc. Short stroke like a 450 but some of the balls of the 530. But gear up even more (likely to stock) so its still manageable on the technical terrain etc... Really up in the air about the whole thing...

Also Ry can you shoot me a ring whenever you have a chance? four 3 5 six three 1 zero zero two 1... thx

One question comes to mind.... why??
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #19284
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Details please..

45 hp
FWD
Loader and Backhoe
Standard rear PTO and three point. Plus a hyd remote on the rear for implements.
Naturally aspirated inline four cylinder Diesel engine.
Sweet cab with ac, heat, iPod jack.
Hydrostatic transmission.
Manufactured by Kioti in South Korea.
Exactly the same as the one branded Bobcat.

Bring on the snow!

I'll get with you when I find the time to round up that 530 stuff. My garage is chaos right now.

Utards in Baja

Ryman screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 06:01 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #19285
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

1) burning oil right now. Like clockwork supposedly on these 08-11 engines, right at 80-90 hours.

Stock rings are a crappy design. http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=462748&st=0 There are also 3-4 other things. They're pretty well documented on KTM talk. Once they're addressed this engine is as solid as the RFS but better performing in opinion.

2) goal is a solid bike that last for several years with no issues, that handles awesome/I love it every time I ride it. I can deal with it now or can deal with it later. No reason not to deal with it now.

3) Its definitely hands down up there with the nicest and best performing bike I've ever ridden. Therefore I'm psyched to keep it.

I've ridden and ridden with EFI bikes and while its nice, its definitely not a game changer in my opinion so I don't think I'll be tempted to get a new bike. Not a lot I can gain from ditching this bike and getting a 12 & later KTM in the future. Even the RFS bike exceeds my capabilities, but I can definitely a difference in the '08 & later of course. '10 and later (they dropped frame another 10mm from the head tube) are nearly identical to the current 500s and 450s.

4) Therefore with a goal of a 3 year bike I feel like I picked a good candidate. A lot of this (getting back to basics) is because my goal/interest in adventure riding. This means 2500 miles a year on average, and 90 hours is only 2-3 trips for me.

I don't want to be dicking around with burning oil or potentially blow up my engine somewhere because all of a sudden it started burning oil again.

Therefore I'm OK with putting in the money to fix it and do it right because I think its worth it. Particularly if I ride it for a bunch of years. This is also why I'm putting in time to get the rust off frame and powdercoated (bike was stored outside), etc, also get the wiring completely dialed with the street legal conversion. No crappy chinese wiring.

5) DHJ has a bunch of upgrades and mild mods to the 08-11 that make it completely solid. Some folks call it his 10,000+ mile engine. Fixes the oil pump transfer and leak issues. Merges the chambers. Tensioner. Can also bore the empty 300cc chamber in the middle of the engine for added oil capacity, which is also nice, if I want to do this. Only $100 for him to do this.

6) Only complaint is a little loss of high end on this bike. Might be rings again but the carb mod adds a little high end, and maybe some head work. Then I feel like I have the perfect engine.

The ultimate for durability is Thumper Racing sleeves (same as in your 525, I was talking to Doug about it a couple days ago) that are some high nickel aluminum that are even more durable than stock. The 518 would be sleeved, 450 would stay stock.

518 would be nice for the desert. Only time I would regret it is on some of the technical climbs on Fano's loop a little less power is nice and the 450 feels nicer... Also remember I'm 6'5 240 lbs... That extra power, particularly with another 30 lbs of gear, is nice at times... Folks day the short stroke 518 feels/handles better than the long stroke 510 engine. Sort of like a corvette engine versus a diesel both with the same HP.

It's all semantics, but just mentioning...

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 09:23 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #19286
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I'll get with you when I find the time to round up that 530 stuff. My garage is chaos right now.
NP, thanks. This guy is making regular rounds between Vernal and Heber right now, which is why I mention it, but no hurry at all/it can wait...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #19287
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,657
uhhh...

Quote:
1) burning oil right now. Like clockwork supposedly on these 08-11 engines, right at 80-90 hours.

Stock rings are a crappy design. http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=462748&st=0 There are also 3-4 other things. They're pretty well documented on KTM talk. Once they're addressed this engine is as solid as the RFS but better performing in opinion.

2) goal is a solid bike that last for several years with no issues, that handles awesome/I love it every time I ride it. I can deal with it now or can deal with it later. No reason not to deal with it now.

3) Its definitely hands down up there with the nicest and best performing bike I've ever ridden. Therefore I'm psyched to keep it.

I've ridden and ridden with EFI bikes and while its nice, its definitely not a game changer in my opinion so I don't think I'll be tempted to get a new bike. Not a lot I can gain from ditching this bike and getting a 12 & later KTM in the future. Even the RFS bike exceeds my capabilities, but I can definitely a difference in the '08 & later of course. '10 and later (they dropped frame another 10mm from the head tube) are nearly identical to the current 500s and 450s.

4) Therefore with a goal of a 3 year bike I feel like I picked a good candidate. A lot of this (getting back to basics) is because my goal/interest in adventure riding. This means 2500 miles a year on average, and 90 hours is only 2-3 trips for me.

I don't want to be dicking around with burning oil or potentially blow up my engine somewhere because all of a sudden it started burning oil again.

Therefore I'm OK with putting in the money to fix it and do it right because I think its worth it. Particularly if I ride it for a bunch of years. This is also why I'm putting in time to get the rust off frame and powdercoated (bike was stored outside), etc, also get the wiring completely dialed with the street legal conversion. No crappy chinese wiring.

5) DHJ has a bunch of upgrades and mild mods to the 08-11 that make it completely solid. Some folks call it his 10,000+ mile engine. Fixes the oil pump transfer and leak issues. Merges the chambers. Tensioner. Can also bore the empty 300cc chamber in the middle of the engine for added oil capacity, which is also nice, if I want to do this. Only $100 for him to do this.

6) Only complaint is a little loss of high end on this bike. Might be rings again but the carb mod adds a little high end, and maybe some head work. Then I feel like I have the perfect engine.

The ultimate for durability is Thumper Racing sleeves (same as in your 525, I was talking to Doug about it a couple days ago) that are some high nickel aluminum that are even more durable than stock. The 518 would be sleeved, 450 would stay stock.

518 would be nice for the desert. Only time I would regret it is on some of the technical climbs on Fano's loop a little less power is nice and the 450 feels nicer... Also remember I'm 6'5 240 lbs... That extra power, particularly with another 30 lbs of gear, is nice at times... Folks day the short stroke 518 feels/handles better than the long stroke 510 engine. Sort of like a corvette engine versus a diesel both with the same HP.

It's all semantics, but just mentioning...

I hear the XR650R is a pretty good option...

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #19288
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

No way... Psyched for this all, if you ask me! I love this stuff almost as much as I like riding!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #19289
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
DJH does decent work but his jetting is not all that great. His needle is mediocre at best.I use an 06 450 YZ stock needle and in back to back comparisons with his needle it is not even close.Smoother running and considerably more pull than Daves needle.Besides they are only 9 bucks.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #19290
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Dave's needle is stock KTM needle, correct? Just slightly changed out?