Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,047
My how times have changed ... all of my earlier cross continent trip were without a phone .. and I lived to tell the tale
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #32
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'd seen that stuff recently but if you read their fine print they don't guarantee much in the way of waterproofing. Wonder how hot the tablet will get sitting on top of the tank bag .. I hear that if they hit near 100 degrees they shut down.

Forgot to mention that. I've had both my ipad and Andorid phone shut down due to heat when in the sun. Both were just out on patios. (Not on the bike) I would imagine that would be even worse.
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Laugh

Quote:
My how times have changed ... all of my earlier cross continent trip were without a phone .. and I lived to tell the tale
The first cross continent trip was without motorized transportation at all. But where is the fun in that?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #34
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:

no phone

gasp paper maps, a highlighter,, a compass

what a concept. We don't ride to take a break from normal day to day,, do we?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #35
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett View Post
no phone

gasp paper maps, a highlighter,, a compass

We good as all the nav and map systems are, there a still things that work better on a paper map!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
rboett
posser noob 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Forgot to mention that. I've had both my ipad and Andorid phone shut down due to heat when in the sun. Both were just out on patios. (Not on the bike) I would imagine that would be even worse.
I had heard about issues with droids overheating in waterproof boxes.

Great thread, makes you think about the real world operating environment .

hmmmm,purpose built Garmin 600 series operating range is -4 f to 158 f,, waterproof IPX 7 standard , able to be read in daylight, operated (supposedly) with gloves,, I think I have come full circle
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
rboett
posser noob 205

Quote:
We good as all the nav and map systems are, there a still things that work better on a paper map!
yeah, I like the delorme map series by state.

no batteries required
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #38
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Quote:
I had heard about issues with droids overheating in waterproof boxes.

Great thread, makes you think about the real world operating environment .

hmmmm,purpose built Garmin 600 series operating range is -4 f to 158 f,, waterproof IPX 7 standard , able to be read in daylight, operated (supposedly) with gloves,, I think I have come full circle
I've done thousands of miles with just a phone/ipad and thought they were great. Until I tried a dedicated nav unit again. They are slow, cumbersome, expensive for what they do, but....they really do a few things well and my expensive phone and tablet are no longer at risk.

This trip from Denver to VanCouver, BC was all done on an ipad.

Quote:
yeah, I like the delorme map series by state.

no batteries required
I just got a complete set of the Butler Maps and look forward to using those this summer. But you would be amazed at the trips we have planned with a "State Farm" map book.

The big thing for me is somedays I have no idea where I want to go. I just know a general direction and mileage. Which, with a paper map and a compass (the type you make circles with), you can outline your range and see where all the possible routes could take you. I have yet to find a map program that lets me do that.

HOT, ROUGH riding in Wyoming. Not phone or tabler friendly.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #39
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
I've had both my ipad and Andorid phone shut down due to heat when in the sun.
That's kind of like telling us your car has overheated. Without knowing whether it's an '82 Gremlin or a brand new Camry, it doesn't really tell us much at all. There's about a million different kinds of Android phones. Just because one overheated doesn't mean all models of Android phones have that problem. Unfortunately, it *seems* like pretty much all iPhone/iPad models have a common problem with potential overheating.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
What I discovered using all of the devices is that Google, Apple and Garmin ALL have map problems. MANY times all 3 would disagree about routes, roads and even the existence of roads. Garmin is actually the worst!
That is definitely the opposite of my experience. I have compared Google Maps routes to Garmin GPS routes numerous times and I don't recall ever finding that a Google route was better than the Garmin route - with the possible exception of cases where Google was factoring in traffic and the particular Garmin GPS did not have traffic capabilities. And I have found numerous occasions where the Google Maps route was inferior to the Garmin route.

And as for Apple, well, when they were shipping their devices with Google Maps on them, they were the same as Android phones. Now, I think we've probably all read enough about how their own Apple Maps has been a disaster for them.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #41
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
That is definitely the opposite of my experience. I have compared Google Maps routes to Garmin GPS routes numerous times and I don't recall ever finding that a Google route was better than the Garmin route - with the possible exception of cases where Google was factoring in traffic and the particular Garmin GPS did not have traffic capabilities. And I have found numerous occasions where the Google Maps route was inferior to the Garmin route.
Google Tried to route me through a closed to the public Military Base Then it tried to take me down a "Toll transponder only, no cash" road.

Garmin has at least only tried to "up the adventure" on me by trying to run me out of fuel or down a "more technical" version of a highway
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #42
Reislust
Still alive

Oddometer: 106
I have had problems with Android phones overheating. Any phone or tab will overheat under the right conditions, mine was riding in the sun inside a case with GPS and plenty of other things running at the same time. The GPS app started going crazy and trying to reroute a couple hundred feet off the road. Overall extremely functional in most scenarios...
Reislust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #43
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
I've had a message that charging was being suspended due to the battery overheating. GPS and Bluetooth running inside a zip-up waterproof case in the sun.

S3 continued to work fine once unplugged.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #44
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
That's kind of like telling us your car has overheated. Without knowing whether it's an '82 Gremlin or a brand new Camry, it doesn't really tell us much at all. There's about a million different kinds of Android phones. Just because one overheated doesn't mean all models of Android phones have that problem. Unfortunately, it *seems* like pretty much all iPhone/iPad models have a common problem with potential overheating.
Anything using a LiIon or LiPo battery (basically anything) is going to shut down in heat. Android, Apple, Windows. Doesn't matter. Especially any charge current will be disabled.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #45
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
The big thing for me is somedays I have no idea where I want to go. I just know a general direction and mileage. Which, with a paper map and a compass (the type you make circles with), you can outline your range and see where all the possible routes could take you. I have yet to find a map program that lets me do that
So along those lines I got a really cool gift as a birthday present this year:

You actually use the big crown on the left to roll along a map and measure distance.