Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #5416
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
With the recent talks of fork springs, I thought this would be relevant. It is from the "Mr. Know It All" column in the Jan. '11 issue of Dirt Bike mag.

SOOOOOO.... is the procedure described by Trailryder42 to "slow down fork rebound"?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #5417
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 867
Had to stay off the XR400 for the last two months. Turned the petcock on and gave it 4 kicks and started right up. Lordy I love this bike.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #5418
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
SOOOOOO.... is the procedure described by Trailryder42 to "slow down fork rebound"?
His procedure addresses the bikes excessive compression damping (for technical riding). The incorrect spring rate is the other problem with the 400s forks unless you weight 140.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #5419
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
His procedure addresses the bikes excessive compression damping (for technical riding). The incorrect spring rate is the other problem with the 400s forks unless you weight 140.
THANKS....I put in the "appropriate" fork spring rate last year....and kinda don't like them....but this damping revision makes sense
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #5420
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Had to stay off the XR400 for the last two months. Turned the petcock on and gave it 4 kicks and started right up. Lordy I love this bike.
There's a reason XRs don't really fall in value..
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #5421
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Sooo...just one more time...the piece that holds the shim stack that needs modifying as described in TrailRyder 42's write up is "(18) Center Bolt" on page 13-14 0f the XR400 Service manual...right?

Thanks, Ed
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #5422
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Sooo...just one more time...the piece that holds the shim stack that needs modifying as described in TrailRyder 42's write up is "(18) Center Bolt" on page 13-14 0f the XR400 Service manual...right?

Thanks, Ed
Yes.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #5423
franga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
bad news - still having problem with loosing oil. im gonna do a compression test this week. hope it sheds some light on it.
good news - ive got my new d908's and cant wait to try them out!
franga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #5424
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

XR4 DS Resto

Quote:

Thanks, Ed
The shim stack is included in the piece that threads out of the bottom of the fork when you are disassembling them. It's very easy to do.

BTW, I'm going to be selling the XR4 pretty soon if you guys know anyone looking for a nice tagged XR4, let me know. This was going to be my primary DS bike so I didn't skimp on it. I came across a 525 that I've been looking for so I need the room.

It started like as a 97, orig owner put on one of those cool tool boxes that goes under the LH numberplate. I got it after the bike had been sitting for years.

Here's a list of what's been done.
New Plastic, front & rear fenders and BD headlight shell.
4 Gal Clarke Tank
Renthol Bars with risers
Small rear rack
New skidplate
New handshields
Cool Alum enduro tool box under LH number plate.
Devol Frame guards
XR650R Clutch/Decomp lever assy
Rear alum sharkfin
Nicely done DS electrical sys with a RS 200W stator. HD VR/Rec w/ Cap, This was setup as an AC/DC configuration, 100W DC runs the Fr & Rear brake lights, horn, 55/60W BD headlight and LED taillight, hi/low/off/horn switch. 100W of AC is still avalable or it can easily be reconfigured into a single 200W system. Included DC outputs under the seat and tank for GPS power etc...

Did a full rebuild on the forks, .43Kg Eibach Springs (180lb rider) added new seals, scrapers, and it has recent OE fork covers.

Pulled the spring on the rear and checked dampening, it was fine, reassembled and set the sag.

Added a BD Analog speedo

It's got D606s fr & rear (about 75% left)

Recent chain & sprockets, includes 16T highway sprocket

Motor: New Piston, rings & VG seals. I originally tore this down to replace the aged VG seals, fully intended on replacing the cam chain and boring it at the same time. When I got it apart it was one of the cleanest motors I've ever disassembled and I've done more than my share. Zero wear in the cam jouranals, cam lobes and rockers looked like new, after seeing the inside I know this was a very low mile motor. Cyl still had the entire crosshatch. I replaced the piston and rings anyway and put in some viton seals, left it stock. While I was in the motor I checked the clutch plate thickness figuring it might need a clutch, like the rest of the motor it was fine.

Completly cleaned and greased the suspension linkage and swingarm bolt. This bike is from a dry climate so it saw very little water, swingarm bolt came right out which tells you something.

Had that typical XR400 crack in the subframe crossmember under the seat so it got gusseted and rewelded.

Installed a dual taper needle in the carb, checked flot drop & height, rejetted for current alt. Includes jets

Had the sidecovers powdercoated and highlighted the Honda lettering to give it a little bling.

The rims are straight and not scratched up.

Here's some pics:

This one shows the toolbox.

Electrical System - the rest of the connections are under the tank and out of the way.

Bright Light

The good: everything

The bad:
Cap didn't work out so well, system works fine but at idle there is a slight dimming of the headlight (no prob, it's still very bright) but it wants to be revved up a little for the horn to work, if the lights are turned off it works fine. It'd be super easy to swap in a small ni-cad batt pack and locate it where the cap is currently located. I had this same setup on my XR650R with a small battery and the systems charges it easily.

Front brake light switch is inop, I have another to switch it with.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #5425
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 936
Chris, your video reports are great. You and your buddies really know how to ride. How much for your XR400? BTW, where do you get the downspout for the stock exhaust?
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #5426
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
Chris, your video reports are great. You and your buddies really know how to ride. How much for your XR400? BTW, where do you get the downspout for the stock exhaust?
Thanks, the orig owner was a good rider that kept this thing nice, not sure where he picked it up, it's cool though.

PM'd you with the price, don't want to get in trouble
Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #5427
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Because the XR400R and XR250R have the exact same part number for the clutch and decompression lever, I wanted to ask this question on this thread as well.

I got my CRF450R Clutch/Hot Start perch. After looking it over, I've learned that the cable ends are not interchangeable. I called Motion Pro and I can get 2 custom cables made for $75 + shipping. Before I go that route I wanted to ask the collective if anyone has tried the XR650R Clutch/Hot Start perch and if it worked with the stock OEM XR400R cables with no additional modifications.

XR650R Perch
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #5428
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Because the XR400R and XR250R have the exact same part number for the clutch and decompression lever, I wanted to ask this question on this thread as well.

I got my CRF450R Clutch/Hot Start perch. After looking it over, I've learned that the cable ends are not interchangeable. I called Motion Pro and I can get 2 custom cables made for $75 + shipping. Before I go that route I wanted to ask the collective if anyone has tried the XR650R Clutch/Hot Start perch and if it worked with the stock OEM XR400R cables with no additional modifications.

XR650R Perch

the 650 perch works good on my lil xr4 plug-n-play it was for me..
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #5429
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post

My XR4 comp cable was slightly larger in diameter than the hole in the perch, I just drilled it out since there's no adjuster. It was almost plug n play for me. Def liked the way it cleans up the bars.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #5430
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by stteve View Post
There is An XR400 in this years Dakar, no 127
He is still in, 7th spot in the MallesMoto class (the-live-out-of-a-metal-trunk-for-2-weeks-class-and-do-all-your-work-yourself), 91 overall

https://www.facebook.com/#!/NicolasB.../photos_stream

stteve screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 02:59 AM
stteve is offline   Reply With Quote