Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #166
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Jury instructions are given before they head back to deliberations.

It is a common tactic among defense attorneys. If their client is found guilty, they will turn around and claim that the jury wasn't given enough options under which they could have found the defendant not guilty, or guilty of a lesser offense.
NH passed a law last year that allows defense to argue jury nullification
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #167
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,220
Really! why would you mention that unless there was a reason later in the stop? like when you where out of the car handcuffed. You don't carry your gun in plain view on the seat or on your person while your driving around, do you?

I've been stopped a bunch of times and had my gun in the car or on the bike and never even mentioned it. NOW if they had a reason to go though my chit then i would have mentioned it.

Those two lady cops probably had a pretty good little chuckle later over a donut or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I was stopped in a Mustang GT, tinted windows, driving around a residential snobby neighborhood on a Sunday morning, looking for a car dealership that had a Volvo 240 for sale.

Anyway, I got pulled over before finding the dealer. 2 very nice lady cops, one was very hot. I had not been pulled since getting a carry permit, so I put both hands out the window, said I got a carry permit, and asked "what do you want me to do"?

They split up, one on each side of the car, and said "come on out, we'll hold your gun until we see your permit". I didn't have a problem. They even frisked me, got my paperwork, and about 30 seconds later they were gone.

No biggie...

Barry

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #168
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
Really! why would you mention that unless there was a reason later in the stop? like when you where out of the car handcuffed. You don't carry your gun in plain view on the seat or on your person while your driving around, do you?.
Some states require you to tell an officer if you have a permit and are carrying.
Kafn8td is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #169
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
LEO's signed on for the hazardous duty when they accepted the job
Agree... but they can do what they need to do to mitigate that, within reason. In the video, it appeared there was zero need for that officer to point his weapon at the rider, and NO reason for him to have his finger on the trigger, thus negating the accidental discharge, IF it was accidental. From the video I am not sure that shooting was unintentional.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #170
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafn8td View Post
some states require you to tell an officer if you have a permit and are carrying.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #171
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
WTF!???? Has this been posted?

Conviction flipped in Ottawa Hills shooting case

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/20...ting-case.html
Kafn8td is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #172
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

lets ALL send it to the national news guys... ABC NBC CBS FOX CNN MSNBC it's kinda slow, news wise. they may jump all over it.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #173
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Now it's my turn to mis-understand. I read it as six events, not six cops at once. Apologies.
Nope. Outside of speeding (in a reasonable and prudent manner) 99% of the time while riding, I am generally a law abiding type of guy.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #174
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,420
Quote:
o
"Some states require CCW holders to notify police they are armed on contact with them." (Alaska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, California, Nebraska, Michigan, Arkansas....
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0053354...ent&gsc.page=4

Common sense:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...en-encounters/

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 01:27 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #175
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
Really! why would you mention that unless there was a reason later in the stop? like when you where out of the car handcuffed. You don't carry your gun in plain view on the seat or on your person while your driving around, do you?

I've been stopped a bunch of times and had my gun in the car or on the bike and never even mentioned it. NOW if they had a reason to go though my chit then i would have mentioned it.

Those two lady cops probably had a pretty good little chuckle later over a donut or two.
Just so we all start out on the right foot during a traffic stop I let them know. I don't do the hands out the window anymore, but I figure it is a courtesy to let them know I'm armed.

Also like when I am NOT armed, if something I need is in a bag, under a jacket or in the glove box, I tell them where it is before I go reaching. Makes them feel nice and safe, which makes me feel nice and safe.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #176
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Massad Ayoob suggests thre is a better way to do it. He (being a 30 year veteran LEO) recommends the best and most legally proper way to notify is to calmly hand your DL and CCW together to the LEO when they come up to your window. Then if they ask if you have it you say yes and tell them where it is. The idea is that if you yell I GOT A PERMIT and wave your hands out the window, your going to get them all nervous. Stay calm, act like a professional, and the the cop will too.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #177
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Massad Ayoob suggests thre is a better way to do it. He (being a 30 year veteran LEO) recommends the best and most legally proper way to notify is to calmly hand your DL and CCW together to the LEO when they come up to your window. Then if they ask if you have it you say yes and tell them where it is. The idea is that if you yell I GOT A PERMIT and wave your hands out the window, your going to get them all nervous. Stay calm, act like a professional, and the the cop will too.
In VA they run your license and it comes up with the data that you have a permit to carry. So they know. They just don't know IF you have it with you.

And that is a lot of assuming on your part about me, I tend not to yell at police officers.

Barry

Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #178
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:

In NH your are not obligated to tell the LEO that you are carrying....I don't know if it shows up that you have a CCL when they run your driver license. I have never been asked and I have never offered the information. If I am asked to get out or off the vehicle and I was carrying then I would let him know before I got out....but for a routine stop...sorry not telling them...why complicate things more than it needs to be.

You should know the laws of the state your in...many states do require you to inform the LEO.....
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #179
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
In NH your are not obligated to tell the LEO that you are carrying....I don't know if it shows up that you have a CCL when they run your driver license. I have never been asked and I have never offered the information. If I am asked to get out or off the vehicle and I was carrying then I would let him know before I got out....but for a routine stop...sorry not telling them...why complicate things more than it needs to be.

You should know the laws of the state your in...many states do require you to inform the LEO.....
This is how I am as well.
I'm usually in a hurry if I get pulled over, hence the speeding, so I don't want to complicate things.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #180
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 20,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
I haven't seen anybody ask this question yet.

Why was the gun drawn in the first place? The only thing the motorcyclist did wrong was perhaps speed. That warrants a gun being drawn? Is this routine in the US ? I have never in my life seen a cop draw their gun. Honest question. Is this normal south of the border?
It's not rare. America has gone down the tubes.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote