Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #61
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 209
My girlfriend started riding on the back but now she rides her own. Niether of us have cars now so with bikes being are only transport we tend to ride two-up (or take the Hack) when we are out doing errands or going to visit people, normally only ride seperate bikes if we are going for a fun ride or trip. Having a good rider on the back is really fun because they know when to lean and you can really get moving in the twisties. Since I commute about 120 miles a day on the bike its nice to just hop on the back or in the sidecar sometimes and let her drive when we go places in the evening.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #62
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw
My girlfriend started riding on the back but now she rides her own. Niether of us have cars now so with bikes being are only transport we tend to ride two-up (or take the Hack) when we are out doing errands or going to visit people, normally only ride seperate bikes if we are going for a fun ride or trip. Having a good rider on the back is really fun because they know when to lean and you can really get moving in the twisties. Since I commute about 120 miles a day on the bike its nice to just hop on the back or in the sidecar sometimes and let her drive when we go places in the evening.
Does she have the t-shirt that reads, "If you can read this, the man-bitch fell off."?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #63
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Any good two up stories?

Anyone else doing two up off road riding?
We took some time off of the dual sport scene as life got in the way but am going to try to get back into it this year. I still have all my riding buddies but don't know if the little lady is up to it. It's a pretty bouncy ride back there!
TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #64
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I don't like 2 up. I'd much rather ride my bike and my wife ride hers. I usually ride a little quicker so I wait up for her if I wind it out and take off. Every couple does what works for them I'm glad this works for us.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #65
JonXX
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
With ATGATT: not much.
You haven't had the right ATGATT-clad passengers. There's nothing better than a hot chick in her leathers.

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #66
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,812
Two-up isn't ideal, but it does mean you have someone to join you at the end of the ride. Sometimes the solitude is nice, but often enough sharing time after the ride is equally nice.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #67
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
With ATGATT: not much.

Without ATGATT;
On a cool night with a hot lady sidled up tight behind you, and her nipples poking you in the back.....

Well think about it
I read the whole thread before posting this.

Ever wax your seat? Armor all? Get a girl on the back, make a good firm stop and Oooohhh... Aahh. Breasts in the back.
This is from when I was a young buck. The 3 girls I have spent most of my life with all started as a motorcycle ride.
The one I have now its been 8 years and every year we go some place on the bike for a weekend. She has no interest in having
her own bike. I am fine with that.

Before I bought my RT, I took her for a ride to make sure it was something she liked. Her first comment was "You don't have to wax the seat on this one"

Yes sharing the good times and the OH SHIT Times are good. I travel and ride a lot alone too. She does not mind at all.

David
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #68
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
reach arounds
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #69
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
the rule should ALWAYS be "one penis per bike"!
So, you don't like someone on the back of your bike, and apparently you don't think women should ride their own bike.

Dunno. Some of us prefer less of a sausage-fest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Two-up isn't ideal, but it does mean you have someone to join you at the end of the ride. Sometimes the solitude is nice, but often enough sharing time after the ride is equally nice.
You can do that if she rides her own bike, too.

When I met the Spouse Unit, she was terrified of motorcycles- from a long time ago when her sister gave her a ride to work. (Note, 20-odd years later, her sister still isn't that great a rider...)

Our first date was two-up, and after that ride, she was "OK". A few dates later, she was having fun. A few months after that, she was learning to ride her own. That summer and nearly every summer since, she's ridden her own bike to Monterey. It cuts my daily mileage in half, but that's OK; we've stumbled into some really cool things that way.

This past year she thought she wanted to pillion. I'm generally against it for long trips, but the Tiger 800XC I had just picked up seemed roomy enough, so we tried it, and learned two things.

One, the T800 has a two hour seat.

Two, as an experienced rider, she doesn't like being a pillion on long trips as much as she thought...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #70
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
I don't have a GPS. (Girl Pointing System)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #71
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Thrashed about...

Well at the ripe old age of 45 I don't think my wife is going to be able to deal with being thrashed about on the back of the 990 as she was say four years ago and prior on the 950. I hate the idea of leaving her behind to not enjoy the dual sport scene, as she knows all the people we ride with. To be honest, at 44 I'm not looking forward to being thrashed about on the trails two up either. It is much more work. 200 to 300 miles of dual sport in a weekend and you're pretty beat. If you can't stand up and move back and forth its not as fun. You have to go a lot slower. So I will encourage her to bring some books and the iPad and hang out at the campground with the guard dog. (That even sounds fun to me, guess I am getting old)
And save our two up riding for dirt and paved roads. I don't see many two up off road couples, none at the last few events we did..Hancock and shenendoa and Lockhaven. A while back I used to see a couple on about a 400 cc jap bike or so. That was ten years ago. They used to ride a few events, particularly the Shenandoah. They too probably got wise or old, perhaps both.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #72
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Yes, riding solo is more fun (ie. faster), and easier. It is a lot of work carrying the extra weight, making extra bathroom stops, and all that.

I actually enjoy spending time with my wife, as she is my best friend. No nagging, no moodyness, just good times. She like adventure, camping, and beer. She has expressed interest in getting her motorcycle endorsement, but is not willing to commit. While I didn't discourage her, I was worried about her riding on the street. She just doesn't have the attention span required for safe street riding. I tried very hard to hide that fact, because I wanted it to be up to her. She does fine off road for short distances, though, so we ride separate bikes sometimes in the forest. She has even riden the 750 Aprilia off road, and didn't crash it (but came close ).

2-up riding on the street is worth every bit of extra effort, especially with an intercom system. If we can talk while riding, it keeps her alert, and allows her to be an extra set of eyes for safety. From her point of view, it also keeps me from riding like a maniac.

I ride about half solo, and half 2-up, so I'm pretty happy with the arrangement.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #73
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
You can do that if she rides her own bike, too.

When I met the Spouse Unit, she was terrified of motorcycles- from a long time ago when her sister gave her a ride to work. (Note, 20-odd years later, her sister still isn't that great a rider...)

Our first date was two-up, and after that ride, she was "OK". A few dates later, she was having fun. A few months after that, she was learning to ride her own. That summer and nearly every summer since, she's ridden her own bike to Monterey. It cuts my daily mileage in half, but that's OK; we've stumbled into some really cool things that way.

This past year she thought she wanted to pillion. I'm generally against it for long trips, but the Tiger 800XC I had just picked up seemed roomy enough, so we tried it, and learned two things.

One, the T800 has a two hour seat.

Two, as an experienced rider, she doesn't like being a pillion on long trips as much as she thought...
You're absolutely correct. I keep looking for that woman. It's a small town, though....
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #74
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

2-up riding on the street is worth every bit of extra effort,
+1

IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #75
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Cool trailer

Cool trailer, Yosemite..? Yellowstone?
Thanks for the two up pic. I haven't figured out how do pictures on here but that inspires me to figure it out. You are one of the only people I've ever seen with a sport touring trailer rig.
We've toured cross country three times on the BMW. Best experiences ever. Can't wait to do it again. Anyone who hasn't needs to. Sell the boat, take out a loan, or whatever and see the country. Two up is good too.