Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTiredRiders View Post
I've test ridden 1100GS bikes and they are just like my old R1100RS in that they make pretty good street bikes. I sure as hell wouldn't want to take one off road though.

The GS series can be ridden in some fairly rough stuff once you become a better rider, they are just not near as much fun as our KTMs though.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
GS off road

True, with the skill and Braun, and tires a manly man could wrestle one of these beasts around off road. I have two old injuries, two wrists shattered thankfully at separate times!, and the weight of these GS bikes is not for me. My 990 is fine off road. We've done some accidental hero sections (two up) that were poorly marked on the roll charts and found muddy hill sides littered with BMW's. I have gruesome pictures of the scene. We wove around them all, sure as hell not stopping half way up a muddy single track on stock Pirelli Scorpians. Some of the GS's were fitted with knobbie s and still upside down. I'll never forget the sight of the carnage. I'm sure they were not experienced off road riders and a good rider would have done much better there is a significant weight difference in the KTM 990 950 vs GS 1100 1200.
They dropped a bunch of weight I thing from the GS when they went up in CC. I remember a pic in a mag article about a blue barrel filled with 60 or 80 pounds or kg of water, and the BmW designers and technicians design the new bike had to move it every day. That's how much weight they had to take off that bike and did succeed. That was a long time ago bi put I lol ways think when I hear a bike that weighs 100 pounds less than another...wow that's a large horse feed bag full! Can you imagine adding that feed bag to your bike? In retrospect maybe the passenger I had gave me a little traction on that muddy hill side but I thing lighter is righter. Wouldn't it be great if bikes could be as light as a 200XC?
Oh well off topic unless the 1190 is much heavier than the 990. Sorry for rambling about weight....
TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote