Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #13906
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Carlton with big "wraps" on Caselli... "You are looking at a future winner of the Dakar..."

For sure a great compliment for a truly extraordinary talented rider, who is doing an excellent job in his rookie outing (KTM made a good choice for their replacement of Coma).

Just a grain of salt for all the euphoria though... regards Kurts "opening of the road" and the CAP navigation....

Normally in the Fiambala dunes and surrounding terrain (when dry) there is next to no visual track/wheel tracks to follow... even until the first maybe 20 bikes pass... from some of the (admittedly limited) footage shown on ES tonight, it seems that even the early nmbers (moto's) had some form of wheeltracks as a prompt... could this be the course check crew (24 hours before), or even left over imprint from last years stage (I did read somewhere they would use same stage for the moto course?).

Regardless, Kurt did a great job out front (it was same conditions for all), I am just pointing out that the "student" is not the "master" till he can track a CAP over virgin dunes at Coma/Despres pace - something that possibly only Helder and Barreda have in their reportoire at this point in time...? but to Caselli's credit (the on air interview he did with Adelaide) he seem's to have the humility, confidence and ability... that one day soon (with a few more rallies under the belt) that he WILL have!

If he takes the "rookie" title this year... it is well deserved!
Good points.

Referring to Lopez saying, that the last waypoints were hard to navigate, and that was the section that Caselli was leading, he holds good promise. Yes, I'm sure that Cyril was in cruise mode somewhat, but still, the others weren't, and they weren't leading either. He took 4:45 out of Goncalves, and over ten out of the rest.

Doesn't hurt that he learned the basics right from an alien.

Dunno about a future alien yet, but the guy sure is starting out on the right foot.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #13907
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,877
Question CDP's mud coloured shadow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
Despres in the interview "You have to be so careful in the rio's - you know I have very bad memories of them"

Too bad that dry french humour doesn't come across..that was a funny dig at himself
I also love the fact (shown in screen shot above) that his little "mud bath mate" from last year - Gonk #20 - jumps off and legs it immediately behind him in the same fashion...

Goncalves; "Eef safe enuf for Cyriil do eet... then I do eet too...!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #13908
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
What? The Aprilia insert? Already done.
Please repost his response.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #13909
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Why are Cyril's wrists taped up?
That's not tape, wrist bandana's
Bruno T . is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #13910
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
That's not tape, wrist bandana's
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #13911
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,965
Quote:
Carlton with big "wraps" on Caselli... "You are looking at a future winner of the Dakar..."

For sure a great compliment for a truly extraordinary talented rider, who is doing an excellent job in his rookie outing (KTM made a good choice for their replacement of Coma).

Just a grain of salt for all the euphoria though... regards Kurts "opening of the road" and the CAP navigation....

Normally in the Fiambala dunes and surrounding terrain (when dry) there is next to no visual track/wheel tracks to follow... even until the first maybe 20 bikes pass... from some of the (admittedly limited) footage shown on ES tonight, it seems that even the early nmbers (moto's) had some form of wheeltracks as a prompt... could this be the course check crew (24 hours before), or even left over imprint from last years stage (I did read somewhere they would use same stage for the moto course?).

Regardless, Kurt did a great job out front (it was same conditions for all), I am just pointing out that the "student" is not the "master" till he can track a CAP over virgin dunes at Coma/Despres pace - something that possibly only Helder and Barreda have in their reportoire at this point in time...? but to Caselli's credit (the on air interview he did with Adelaide) he seem's to have the humility, confidence and ability... that one day soon (with a few more rallies under the belt) that he WILL have!

If he takes the "rookie" title this year... it is well deserved!
Did the Aliens win stages their first Dakar? Seems obvious to me that Caselli is a pretty smart fellow and a quick study. Probably a real good temperment for endurance racing too. He'd be right there if he hadn't lost those 3.5 hours. Like I posted earlier, he's got the outright speed to beat any of these guys. He just has to learn the other skills required for this type of racing.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #13912
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Aprilia?
Yeah, Whut?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #13913
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Honda Fuel Efficiencies

Honda had an issue with fuel efficiency when they built the four stroke engine for Moto GP. Their riders would fall off the lead pack at the end to keep from running out of gas.

This may just be a theme their engineers follow. Power and delivery may be a higher priority than fuel efficiency.

Interesting to see it pop up a second time in a totally different series.

I believe Miguel Duhamel had an issue in one of his last years in Daytona and then so did another Honda rider. I think it was 5 years ago. Initially it was believed to be improperly filled but for it to happen to a second rider it must be a team/bike issue. Now I would think they tuned it for power without calculating the loss of fuel efficiency.

Many things can go wrong, even if you checked and double checked everything.

I think someone pointed out that it took KTM 10 years to get it together enough to win Dakar. Another person pointed out Honda's game plan in the 80's for success and how the hit it on schedule.

Hey! The more competition between the manufactures the better for all of us. Isn't that what Dakar officials claimed the switch to 450cc would do?
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #13914
JR_FX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Ruben Faria: "Today was a tough day for me. I got lost at the beginning of Step, after the section had plenty of water and from there I decided to walk calmly because it was easy to make mistakes and lose much time. In the end I think it was the best decision because despite the lost time does not put in question my performance and the team's goals. Today's result was excellent for KTM / Red Bull because Cyril extended the advantage to the more direct opponents and I kept 2nd place overall. Tomorrow we have one more step to complicated and perhaps decisive for the final result of this Dakar. I keep physically well and my KTM remains perfect. Right now I'm quite happy as I am to play the best role of my water carrier of Cyril and the proof is that he is ahead of Dakar and yes this is the main objective of the KTM / Red Bull and for which all work as a team day. I want to thank all the help that Cyril has given me over these three years they have allowed me to evolve as a rider and person to face the best of this type of evidence. To my fans and sponsors thank you for the daily support. A big hug to everyone. "

From Ruben FB.
JR_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #13915
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,877
speed is only 30% of the calculation... not the primary factor by any means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Did the Aliens win stages their first Dakar? Seems obvious to me that Caselli is a pretty smart fellow and a quick study. Probably a real good temperment for endurance racing too. He'd be right there if he hadn't lost those 3.5 hours. Like I posted earlier, he's got the outright speed to beat any of these guys. He just has to learn the other skills required for this type of racing.
I agree with everything you wrote... but there is just one thing I have to point out in your post.

I dunno... it might be an American racing thing (RG uses it in almost every post stage Dakar interview he's done for the last five years), but the old; "If it wasn't for (insert random misstake or misfortunate incident here)... we'd be leading this dang thing...!"

It is the awareness of, takinhg steps to minimise and ultimately the management of the unpredicatbilities that riddle the dakar from start to finish, that defines a winner... an alien is one who can do it repeatedly.

Lewis Hamilton would have been world champion this year... if it wasn't for the three blokes in frony of him in the points table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #13916
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,805
I don't like to see Luis stuck on one WP for so long.... did I miss something???
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #13917
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_FX View Post
Ruben Faria: "Today was a tough day for me. I got lost at the beginning of Step, after the section had plenty of water and from there I decided to walk calmly because it was easy to make mistakes and lose much time. In the end I think it was the best decision because despite the lost time does not put in question my performance and the team's goals. Today's result was excellent for KTM / Red Bull because Cyril extended the advantage to the more direct opponents and I kept 2nd place overall. Tomorrow we have one more step to complicated and perhaps decisive for the final result of this Dakar. I keep physically well and my KTM remains perfect. Right now I'm quite happy as I am to play the best role of my water carrier of Cyril and the proof is that he is ahead of Dakar and yes this is the main objective of the KTM / Red Bull and for which all work as a team day. I want to thank all the help that Cyril has given me over these three years they have allowed me to evolve as a rider and person to face the best of this type of evidence. To my fans and sponsors thank you for the daily support. A big hug to everyone. "

From Ruben FB.
You know the way this reads I suspect he sees himself taking over the reins soon...in a year or so.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #13918
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
So Vaseline is doing well again, respect ;) let's see what tomorrow brings us all.

=edit. Caselli, darn predictive input=
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #13919
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
I agree with everything you wrote... but there is just one thing I have to point out in your post.

I dunno... it might be an American racing thing (RG uses it in almost every post stage Dakar interview he's done for the last five years), but the old; "If it wasn't for (insert random misstake or misfortunate incident here)... we'd be leading this dang thing...!"

It is the awareness of, takinhg steps to minimise and ultimately the management of the unpredicatbilities that riddle the dakar from start to finish, that defines a winner... an alien is one who can do it repeatedly.

Lewis Hamilton would have been world champion this year... if it wasn't for the three blokes in frony of him in the points table.
Lol, even Verhoeven is starting to sound American ;)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #13920
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
ILewis Hamilton would have been world champion this year... if it wasn't for the three blokes in frony of him in the points table. [/COLOR]
Have a heart mate ... He's been having troubles with his girlfriend mid-season.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote