Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #31
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,478
I was hunting a ladder stand know as the Taj Mahal on December 29. It had rained all night and the weather broke right before dawn. The stand looks over a food plot and sits in valley between to ridges that are well used travel corridors. The ridge to the right is very steep with a creek running at its base. The ridge to the left is much taller and has a band of trees that run thru the middle.

At about 8:30, a nice buck appeared to my left, about half way up the slope. Though closer to me, I couldn't gauge the width of his rack and didn't take a shot. As he moved down the ridge and away from me, I was able to see that his rack was just past his ears and was a shooter for this late in the season. Well, the deer never stopped; he wasn't spooked but it was clear he wanted to be someplace else. You can see from the picture above that there is no way to shoot into the mess he was traveling through. At the far end of the clearing, the trail he was running dips down out of the trees then enters impassible thicket. At about 180 yds there was a window of about 5 feet that I could shoot before the deer disappeared. I positioned myself so that when he came into the gap in the trees, I could pull the trigger.

Long story short, I hit the deer way back. Fe Boy and I tracked him to the adjoining property line but were afraid to proceed because we had no way to contact the adjoining club and no idea if anyone was hunting. Now that season is over, we were able to go in and recover the deer. We spotted a buzzard circling about 500 yds in the thickest blow-down, snag imaginable, he was in the general area I expected him to be and was found lying next to a cedar rub that was as big as my leg.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #32
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,040
Deer season is over in KS and I did not shoot a deer during bow season but would not say I had no luck. I set up two nephews and one niece, ages 8-12 and they all got a deer during rifle season!

Now I have to wait until April 10th for TURKEY SEASON!

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #33
Fe Man OP
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
Deer season is over in KS and I did not shoot a deer during bow season but would not say I had no luck. I set up two nephews and one niece, ages 8-12 and they all got a deer during rifle season!
Kids killing deer is a success for sure!
Fe Boy got two this year, he was stoked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: