Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #46
DoubleBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Loved the sportster muffler clip,, sounds nice.. Just missed an '80 GN, first year and I think the only with a fairly flat seat and less mini chopper styling.. Currently we have a GN250 in the family and it's a great little bike.. Rode the crazy thing to the pacific coast last month (about 250 miles each way) on small highways,, it was quite liberating getting off the big freeway bike for a weekend and enjoying the simplicity of the thumper... Have fun with it...

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #47
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Now to start choppin that bike up.

YZman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #48
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,522
Story time!

Life is very hectic at the moment and will be that way for a while, I put the GN on CL for $250 as I wasn't going to have time in the near or medium future to deal with it. It's a rolling basket, the front master cylinder is in a box, the rear brakes aren't camming properly and it needs a LOT of little things to be rideable and even more to be close to safe.

Guy shows up and after hearing and seeing the ugly truth he shells out the cash, but he doesn't have a truck so his friend will pick it up in a few days. Not wanting to drag this out I load it into the back of my truck and haul it to his house.

After unloading the bike we park it in front of his garage and I start wrapping up my tie-downs...I hear the bike start, I hear it drop off the centerstand, I hear it go into gear. Before I can say "dude, it gots no brakes remember" he's off and running. The front yard isn't very big so he doesn't get much speed up before he's Fred Flintstone braking down a slight grassy incline with eyes big as saucers, luckily a wooden fence long past it's prime is there to act as a forward motion impedement.

BAM. The bike stops and I run over to untangle bike and rider. "It doesn't have any brakes" sez him. I told him that I thought we covered that in the initial conversation while throwing in my tie-downs and quickly heading home.

I kinda felt bad until I saw the bike on Craigslist for $1100 three days later, replete with 20 year old tires and my cool Sportster muffler mod.
Good luck to him.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #49
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Is this what we've got to? Flipping 30 year old pedestrian Suzukis?

Sorry you didn't have the time to attend to the lil' bike.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #50
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman
That's the deal, they don't have carbs. Quoters use a crude open loop FI system, since it never gets warm it's always pumping far more fuel than it really needs because the sensors are telling it to.

A Weber carb conversion has been done with some success, it's on the list but I have to educate myself on Weber automotive carbs first.
I wonder if there is a good way to fool the FI system into thinking it needs less fuel. Slipping something into the circuit to change the readings to lean it out a bit.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #51
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
hmmm. having gone from an automotive weber to dual dellortos on my old ducati, id say don't even bother with the weber. its more trouble than its worth. you should have plenty of room to put dualies in if you wanted to try-

looking at my v11 i have tons of space to put carbs- but i have not got that plastic cover- you might have to do a little cutting to make it all fit. that said, my commute is about 15 miles and i can't complain about the fi. not the best mileage - but what the hell- you don't need great mileage when you are only going 15 miles!!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #52
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
The GN400 makes a great project bike, very easy to work and plenty of resources available at yahoo groups GN400.

Mine is stripped of all street stuff for duty as a flat-tracker/ice bike. Here it is in summer mode:

I have a title for it. All I'd have to do is rig up some lights and a horn and I'd have a hot little city/commuter that looks like nothing else on the street. Its a "bit" loud though with the Supertrapp muffler. A 52t sprocket on the rear REALLY livens up this little beast, can lift the front wheel without a lot of effort. Longer rear shocks, with mounts moved forward on the swingarm steepened the front end for quicker steering. It's actually a fun little bike to rip around on. I bought it from a buddy set up for the ice for $800 and have maybe another $200 in parts and mods into it. Rear wheel is from a Suzuki PE400 (PE250) for the 19" tire size and the front is from a Suzuki GS650 Tempter for the same 19" tire size. A little hacksawing on the swingarm gusset makes for plenty of clearance for the ice tires and the 19" rear summer tire. Aint no lowly GN400 starter bike anymore.