Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #8431
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbacque View Post
deserteagle, do you have a link for those mirrors? That looks like a cool option.

I had one of those mounted on my WR450 when I bought it and had to replace it with a more stable & larger mirror. The stem is plastic and tends to vibrate, and it's also quite short. Maybe it's okay for some folks, but it didn't work for me.

I ended up getting the KTM style folding mirror which has been working well for me.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #8432
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Regarding rearview mirrors...

I've often contemplated attaching a concave mirror near the end of my visor, anybody ever tried that?
I think Bell helmets used to have them in their visors as well back in the day
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #8433
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Well... There is a new bike heading to my garage tomorrow... And one leaving... Is going to be, not really missed as I bought it off craigslist this afternoon for $50 and tomorrow it becomes $200 from the dealer and $2500 is Cash for Carbon credits! Not a bad investment and I get to keep the XT!

So the XT will now be sharing it's little corner of the garage with a 2012 Zero DS ZF9.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #8434
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I've often contemplated attaching a concave mirror near the end of my visor, anybody ever tried that?
I've talked to a couple people who had them on their helmets and were pleased with them; one of the guys said you had to become accustomed to using them as a car coming up behind you appeared very tiny until it was about two feet from your rear tire. Question is, will the law be pleased if they are your only mirrors? The cops around here make a big deal about having two mirrors on the handlebars.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #8435
deodom
Old Racer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
They were the Visor View Visors by Malcom Smith (I believe). They were a 3 snap visor with mirrors built in. They can still be found used on some vintage web sites, but only for the old style 3 snap helmets. Had a couple in the 70's on my Bell Star and Moto Star helmets.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #8436
maverick1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Need some help.
I purchased a K&N air filter for my 2001 XT225 and after I installed it I went for a ride and the engine seemed to misfire and started to jerk when I was accelerating quickly.
I then got home and replaced the stock foam air filter took it out and it did not misfire or jerk.
What gives.
I thought with the K&N it should perform better.
When I removed the K&N filter I did notice some red filter oil drops on the mesh screen.
The only thing I can think of is that there is too much K&N red oil on the filter, but I'm not sure if that would cause the misfiring.
Any suggestions.
maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #8437
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
Need some help.
I purchased a K&N air filter for my 2001 XT225 and after I installed it I went for a ride and the engine seemed to misfire and started to jerk when I was accelerating quickly.
I then got home and replaced the stock foam air filter took it out and it did not misfire or jerk.
What gives.
I thought with the K&N it should perform better.
When I removed the K&N filter I did notice some red filter oil drops on the mesh screen.
The only thing I can think of is that there is too much K&N red oil on the filter, but I'm not sure if that would cause the misfiring.
Any suggestions.
K&N is a more free flowing filter therefore your engine is getting more air... Needs more fuel to compensate. You may get away with adjusting your fuel/ air mixture screw but it might be time to re-jet.

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #8438
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Question tank bag?

What tank bag works good on a XT? Seeing that the tank drops off so much. Would tank saddlebags work better? Want something on the smaller size.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #8439
johninlv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
K&N Air Filters

I have used K&N Air Filters on dirt bikes and four-wheel drive trucks since they first came out, serviced them religiously.
Results:
A new bore and piston every year.

.010 cylinder bore wall taper on my Turbo Diesel pickup after 100,000 miles.

These vehicles used only premium lubricants that were available at the time.
In later years I found out thru oil analysis that high levels of silica could be directly traced to the quality of your air filter.
My last desert bike was a CanAm 250 with a twin air filter that never needed a new bore or piston. I donít think the fraction of a Horsepower is worth the cost of the Baja Bore job. The bikes I have now I want to last, if I lust for more power I will go to a big bore kit.

John
Rant Over
johninlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #8440
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninlv View Post
I have used K&N Air Filters on dirt bikes and four-wheel drive trucks since they first came out, serviced them religiously.
Results:

In later years I found out thru oil analysis that high levels of silica could be directly traced to the quality of your air filter.
My last desert bike was a CanAm 250 with a twin air filter that never needed a new bore or piston. I donít think the fraction of a Horsepower is worth the cost of the Baja Bore job. The bikes I have now I want to last, if I lust for more power I will go to a big bore kit.

John
Rant Over
This. It is a well known fact they let more dirt by. For street only use in low dust, it might be ok.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #8441
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,372
K&N filters:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
It is a well known fact they let more dirt by.
I really canít speak about the K&N motorcycle air filters but, yes, their car/truck air filters do let in a lot more dirt. They do keep out rocks & small birds. I suspect the bike filters would be about the same. I wonít use them.
On the other hand the K&N oil filters are excellent. Done a fair amount of research on them oil filters & use them on several bikes. Don't know if they make oil filters for the XT225 though.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #8442
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Rocks and small birds....lmao

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #8443
maverick1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninlv View Post
Results:

John
Rant Over
So I'm guessing you don't like K & N air filters for the XT225
Does twin air make one for the XT225? or what would you recommend?
Funny, I bought a K&N air filter for my Porsche and I could not get it to fit.
Maybe that was a blessing in disguise.
maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #8444
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
What tank bag works good on a XT? Seeing that the tank drops off so much. Would tank saddlebags work better? Want something on the smaller size.
My SO, Write2ride, has a Clarke tank on her XT225 and used a Giant Loop Fandango tankbag this summer on our cross-country trip. I used the same tank bag on my DR650. While not completely waterproof, it is much closer than any of the other ones I have tried. It's a good fit, not too large, and doesn't extend back into the rider's space.

Here is a pic of it on her bike somewhere in Arkansas on the TAT:

If anything happens to this tank bag, we will replace it with the same thing again.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #8445
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
So I'm guessing you don't like K & N air filters for the XT225
Does twin air make one for the XT225? or what would you recommend?
Funny, I bought a K&N air filter for my Porsche and I could not get it to fit.
Maybe that was a blessing in disguise.
I use No-Toil filters in all of my bikes. Just order the TTR225 one it is the same. Are No-Toil's the best? I don't know, but I do know they keep the dirt out, and with the No-Toil filter oil, grease and cleaning kit, cleaning the filter is so easy I do it more often makes it worth it to me. I clean them in my kitchen sink.