User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #91
papanaq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Just got it!!!

Hey my name is James. I have been off of the two wheel trail for a little over a year now. I just picked up an 81 GL500 today with 27,XXX from a fellow for $800. It has a crappy solid black paint job but looks like it has never been dropped. No rust in the tank. It is sloppy between 4-6 grand but I pulled the air cover off and it looks like the filter has never been changed. The front end dives pretty hard so I will change the oil and seals while I am at it. I will also be changing all of the fluids at once. The old man has had the bike a while but he never rides it and doesn't know much about it. It rides fine and everything appears be functional.

I am glad to have found this thread and hope that you could give me some pointers and things to look for. I am excited to get a chance to work on the bike for a couple of months before I put it on the road so I may hit some of you up with specific questions.

I hope to add picks by the end of the weekend.
papanaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #92
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,479
The best resource for these great old bikes is http://cx500forum.com . There you will find the factory service manual and everything you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papanaq View Post
Hey my name is James. I have been off of the two wheel trail for a little over a year now. I just picked up an 81 GL500 today with 27,XXX from a fellow for $800. It has a crappy solid black paint job but looks like it has never been dropped. No rust in the tank. It is sloppy between 4-6 grand but I pulled the air cover off and it looks like the filter has never been changed. The front end dives pretty hard so I will change the oil and seals while I am at it. I will also be changing all of the fluids at once. The old man has had the bike a while but he never rides it and doesn't know much about it. It rides fine and everything appears be functional.

I am glad to have found this thread and hope that you could give me some pointers and things to look for. I am excited to get a chance to work on the bike for a couple of months before I put it on the road so I may hit some of you up with specific questions.

I hope to add picks by the end of the weekend.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #93
Boxingfan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Have a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yesterday View Post
My bastard cx500/gl650
Sweet bike! I have a few questions if you don't mind. I am rebuilding a GL650 & have the option to put it in a CX500 frame but have heard its not the easiest thing to do. Could you message me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

-B
Boxingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #94
IRule
Rider

Oddometer: 25
I have a pretty well trashed 82 Silverwing that I was going to pull the engine out of and try and sell. Before I go cutting stuff apart, I was wondering if there would be anything somebody may want from the bike. There really isnt much left on it thats any good but its tough to just throw stuff away that somebody maybe could use. Just ask and Ill take a look to see if what you want is useable or not. Or Ill take a pic and you can decide for yourself.
IRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #95
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRule View Post
I have a pretty well trashed 82 Silverwing that I was going to pull the engine out of and try and sell. Before I go cutting stuff apart, I was wondering if there would be anything somebody may want from the bike. There really isnt much left on it thats any good but its tough to just throw stuff away that somebody maybe could use. Just ask and Ill take a look to see if what you want is useable or not. Or Ill take a pic and you can decide for yourself.
I have another cx project (going cafe this time) that needs a few items - I picked up a 82 GL motor and I am going to stuff it into a 78 cx frame so if you have the electrics from that silverwing I could sure use them. I need pretty much all of the electrics (except the lights) need regulator, solenoid and main and sub wiring harnesses with plugs.
PM me and tell me what you want for all that.
This comes just in time for a summer project.

thanks for posting
EnduroRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #96
chuck c
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I got a line on a naked GL650

I wanted one with the full kit of plastic, but this might be hard to pass up. Do you think CX500 plastic and luggage will fit it? There's a lot around since guys are stripping them too.
chuck c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #97
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I think they're the same but check over on the CX forum to be sure.
http://cx500forum.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck c View Post
I wanted one with the full kit of plastic, but this might be hard to pass up. Do you think CX500 plastic and luggage will fit it? There's a lot around since guys are stripping them too.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #98
db-89
hole digger

Oddometer: 11
only seen this now. my first road bike was a german import gl500 and i then moved onto an ntv650 ,both i still have.

my gl has now got krauser panniers,polished forks,rocker covers and clutch cover, matt black vinyl wrap and a custom shorty screen. in our garage at the minute we have another gl500,a black and red cx500 and a rare japanese gl700. the bike that ultimately led to creating the ntv650 rc33,pan european ,vfr series and the transalp(all engines derived from the cx) and we also have all of these models too

my gl 500 yesterday
db-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #99
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I have a warm and fuzzy feeling for these bikes having put so many miles on them over the years. Solid, reliable, mild mannered, mile after mile. My favorite street bikes of all time. I rode my GL500 Interstate to Alaska this summer and even after T boning a huge moose at 65 mph it got me home. I'll never sell this 32 year old bike until I'm too old to ride.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #100
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
I've been looking into a V-strom lately. Seems like the zuks are the closest thing to a Silverwing today.
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #101
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Wish the Vstrom was shaft drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I've been looking into a V-strom lately. Seems like the zuks are the closest thing to a Silverwing today.