Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #61
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I see several mention the Exped Synmat 9. Has anyone compared it to the Synmat 7? It packs smaller,I was wondering if the difference in performance/comfort was worth the extra size on a longer trip on the bike.
Thanks

I believe the R-value is the same for both. The 9 is both wider & longer so you're not as likely to roll off it if you thrash around a bit at night like I do. I use the 7 because it packs smaller. I found after changing from the Big Agnes--which slipped & slid all over--that I didn't roll off of the Exped.

If you are a bigger guy, you might want to go for the 9 just to make sure you are fully on the mattress. Pack size isn't that much different but I have a space problem (sportbike) so I go with the 7.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #62
MacG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I believe the R-value is the same for both. The 9 is both wider & longer so you're not as likely to roll off it if you thrash around a bit at night like I do. I use the 7 because it packs smaller. I found after changing from the Big Agnes--which slipped & slid all over--that I didn't roll off of the Exped.

If you are a bigger guy, you might want to go for the 9 just to make sure you are fully on the mattress. Pack size isn't that much different but I have a space problem (sportbike) so I go with the 7.
Thanks VFR, I'm 5'11", 195 lbs so average size I guess. I have the short BA(non insulated) now and it's ok except for colder nights. I usually sleep in a hammock but occasionally I'm on the ground. Packed size is an issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #63
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,576
Quote:
I see several mention the Exped Synmat 9. Has anyone compared it to the Synmat 7? It packs smaller,I was wondering if the difference in performance/comfort was worth the extra size on a longer trip on the bike.
Thanks
Had em both, ex used the 7 and I had the 9. Side by side the packing dimensions weren't much different. Maybe a half inch taller and wider for the 9. But the extra 6" width and extra inch of thickness was nice for me.

It depends on how large you are. Also, I was using the 9 in a Summit Park sleeping bag.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #64
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
The trouble with BA is if you want a wide pad you have to buy the Park series bags and they don't pack down very small.

I use the Exped Downmat now and use a Thermarest sheet which has attachment points for the Thermarest quit so no wasted sleeping bag on the bottom that you don't need to carry around. Packs small and it's nice to have the sheet that is seaily removeable for washing.

Here's the sheet

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...-sheet/product

and the Alpine blanket

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...ket-35/product

And if I want real comfort I slide in my BA memory foam topper between the matterss and the sheet

I sold my neoair because it was too much trouble to inflate and for some reason I sweat a lot on that fabric

I see they have new pumps this year, about time.
Been thinking of getting that setup, any problem with drafts?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #65
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Thanks VFR, I'm 5'11", 195 lbs so average size I guess. I have the short BA(non insulated) now and it's ok except for colder nights. I usually sleep in a hammock but occasionally I'm on the ground. Packed size is an issue.
One thing to keep in mind is if you are a side sleeper, as I am, you'll want that extra 1" of thickness. My first mattress was a Thermorest, and I ditched it after my first week of camping off the bike. My goal now is to find a smaller pack size pillow...I have a very nice memory foam pillow I have been taking with me, but I would like something that packs a wee bit smaller. I was at REI looking today, but with no luck. The search continues..........

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #66
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:

Larry knows what he is talking about. MC Camps a lot!

I have been thru most of this stuff too. Started with Thermarest when I was younger then REI brand but bigger, then back to Thermarest but bigger (a trend maybe), then BA (thicker and insulated) and recently added a "high tech" Colemen twin air mattress for my Wing tours. May even figure out how to pack with the VFR/KLR. I use my BA on top of that for cold stuff.

There is a theme here......I may have to use some statistical algorithm to figure it out. Something like this perhaps...the size of pad is directly proportional to ones age. Larry is tougher than I am! I have had the same issue with tents

I always read threads like this to find the next answer. Looks like I am back to what I started with when I took up car camping again back in the sixties.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #67
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
My goal now is to find a smaller pack size pillow...I have a very nice memory foam pillow I have been taking with me, but I would like something that packs a wee bit smaller. I was at REI looking today, but with no luck. The search continues..........
My Big Agnes Summit Park has an integrated pocket that you can stuff a fleece into for a pillow, or use their pillow, fits right in the pocket so you don't "lose it" at night
https://www.bigagnes.com/index.php/P.../AirCorePillow
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #68
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is if you are a side sleeper, as I am, you'll want that extra 1" of thickness. My first mattress was a Thermorest, and I ditched it after my first week of camping off the bike. My goal now is to find a smaller pack size pillow...I have a very nice memory foam pillow I have been taking with me, but I would like something that packs a wee bit smaller. I was at REI looking today, but with no luck. The search continues..........
Love it! http://www.backcountry.com/nemo-equi....-fillo-pillow
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #69
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett View Post
My Big Agnes Summit Park has an integrated pocket that you can stuff a fleece into for a pillow, or use their pillow, fits right in the pocket so you don't "lose it" at night
https://www.bigagnes.com/index.php/P.../AirCorePillow
Saw it, tried it out but it won't cut it. I'm currently using a memory foam pillow that is pretty firm and works like a charm.. I might not be able to find something smaller that works as well. Drawback is that it is pretty large, though it will compress down to pretty much nothing. I did see an inflatable pillow with a chunk of memory foam incorporated, but I have not seen it in person. As mentioned before, I'm a side sleeper and the pillow is important. Waking up with a stiff neck first night out of a 10 day trip is a bummer. And as you get older, the longer it takes to recover.........

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE

Gezerbike screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 08:53 AM
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #70
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Pillow!!! Did someone say pillow??? I have about sixteen of 'em--feather, foam, inflatable foam, combinations of the above--Finally found the solution. Exped!!! They make an inflatable pillow that folds as small as a Red Bull can--no kidding. Expensive? Yes, ~$35 but it inflates in about 3 or 4 puffs & is seriously comfortable. Sleeps warm too. After you buy as many as I have, trying to get a good one, $35 is nothing.... I usually fold my riding pants & put the pillow on them to make it thicker. Forgot that.

As to the thick mattress, I'm a side sleeper & have no trouble with either one. When inflated & you sit on it, it goes flat, but sleeping spreads your weight out so you don't even feel the rocks under your tent.

There are two other guys on this thread that might have as much gear as me. You know who you are....

Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #71
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Quote:
Pillow!!! Did someone say pillow??? I have about sixteen of 'em--feather, foam, inflatable foam, combinations of the above--Finally found the solution. Exped!!! They make an inflatable pillow that folds as small as a Red Bull can--no kidding. Expensive? Yes, ~$35 but it inflates in about 3 or 4 puffs & is seriously comfortable. Sleeps warm too. After you buy as many as I have, trying to get a good one, $35 is nothing.... I usually fold my riding pants & put the pillow on them to make it thicker. Forgot that.

As to the thick mattress, I'm a side sleeper & have no trouble with either one. When inflated & you sit on it, it goes flat, but sleeping spreads your weight out so you don't even feel the rocks under your tent.

There are two other guys on this thread that might have as much gear as me. You know who you are....
I looked at it at REI, nice and small, but inflated it still seemed small. Then I went in to the local LL Bean store and saw a pretty neat inflatable pillow. On sale from $ 25 to $20, I had a $ 10 buck coupon and I got a little more off and was out the door for $ 7.23. Bigger inflated than the Exped, has some foam involved and seems pretty comphy. I'm gonna try using it in combo with my Airhawk cushion and see what I get. If it doesn't work, it will be the cheapest pillow ever sold on this site

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65550...comfort-pillow

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #72
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
I have the park down bag and its packs extremely small. My BA bag and pad are as comfy as my bed at the house. And the BA insulated pad is 1/2 the price of the exped
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #73
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
I have the park down bag and its packs extremely small. My BA bag and pad are as comfy as my bed at the house. And the BA insulated pad is 1/2 the price of the exped
Which ba pad?

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #74
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...sulatedAirCore
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #75
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I looked at it at REI, nice and small, but inflated it still seemed small. Then I went in to the local LL Bean store and saw a pretty neat inflatable pillow. On sale from $ 25 to $20, I had a $ 10 buck coupon and I got a little more off and was out the door for $ 7.23. Bigger inflated than the Exped, has some foam involved and seems pretty comphy. I'm gonna try using it in combo with my Airhawk cushion and see what I get. If it doesn't work, it will be the cheapest pillow ever sold on this site

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65550...comfort-pillow

Exped has a larger one. Not sure if it is thicker, but it is wider. I tried the inflatable foam one & didn't care for it. Probably just me, I don't like sleeping on foam. Also doesn't pack real small--very important for me.